luggage on train

jnc411

Hi this question for those on land tours. We are on pre cruise land tour 6 days, I was checking the luggage limits for the tour, and it states one carry on bag plus one personal item ( per person ?) . So I was thinking one weeled (airline size )carry on and small back pack each for DH and my self. Now I am reading that only one small wheeled carry on fits under the seats on the train. so do they have a luggage car , or space to put extra bag. What did you find worked best. I think I need more that just a small back pack for 6 days.

Cori

We are doing the Dawson Denali Plus with Holland and they say the carry on with wheels allowed on Airlines isn't allowed on the train. Our final Doc regarding the trip also mentioned no wheeled carry on.

Hi this question for those on land tours. We are on pre cruise land tour 6 days, I was checking the luggage limits for the tour, and it states one carry on bag plus one personal item ( per person ?) . So I was thinking one weeled (airline size )carry on and small back pack each for DH and my self. Now I am reading that only one small wheeled carry on fits under the seats on the train. so do they have a luggage car , or space to put extra bag. What did you find worked best. I think I need more that just a small back pack for 6 days.

Cori

Another HAL cruise/tour trip here. We had one checked bag and one backpack (small enough for the train ride) each.

Every morning our checked bag went beneath the bus. We had access to it at all our hotels on the land portion.

When we were leaving Fairbanks, we received different luggage tags (depending on what we wanted done with our bags). One tag said "meet me tonight in Denali", the other said "meet me onboard the ship". Many people on our tour had to figure out what bags to send forward and what bags they needed to keep with them for the Denali/train portion of the trip. We were allowed one checked bag on the train (no access during train trip) and one small carryon (backpack). The checked bag (on the train) was the bag we had access to during our Denali stay.

Another HAL cruise/tour trip here. We had one checked bag and one backpack (small enough for the train ride) each.

Every morning our checked bag went beneath the bus. We had access to it at all our hotels on the land portion.

When we were leaving Fairbanks, we received different luggage tags (depending on what we wanted done with our bags). One tag said "meet me tonight in Denali", the other said "meet me onboard the ship". Many people on our tour had to figure out what bags to send forward and what bags they needed to keep with them for the Denali/train portion of the trip. We were allowed one checked bag on the train (no access during train trip) and one small carryon (backpack). The checked bag (on the train) was the bag we had access to during our Denali stay.

Thanks for the reply, so the checked bag that met you at the lodges on the land portion , was it airline size carry on ? or had to be smaller / We are ok with just a back pack each on the buses and train , just not sure what size bag for the "meet me tonight in Denali " size. Thanks for answering my question.

Cori

Thanks for the reply, so the checked bag that met you at the lodges on the land portion , was it airline size carry on ? or had to be smaller / We are ok with just a back pack each on the buses and train , just not sure what size bag for the "meet me tonight in Denali " size. Thanks for answering my question.

Cori

No, the checked bag was a "regular" size bag (one was 28"X18"X11", the other fits inside that one, so a bit smaller). Both of those had wheels. We only had one bag each (besides our backpack) so we didn't have to play the "which one goes to Denali and which one goes to the ship" game.

Those bags were loaded on the bottom of the busses each day that we were actually changing hotels. And when we got the next hotel, they would be delivered to our room (outside) usually within an hour or so.

• 3 weeks later...

We will be doing a land cruise tour on Sapphire Princess August 12-August 24. We will be doing the land portion first. My DH and I will each have one large suitcase, one medium suitcase, one carry-on suitcase, and a backpack. We plan to keep our backpacks with us at all times and the large suitcases will be sent ahead to the ship. We will need the medium size suitcases to meet us at our rooms each night of the land portion. I had planned to put land portion stuff in our carry-on suitcases on the off change that our medium suitcases don't make it to Fairbanks as we will be changing planes and not arriving a day early; least that way we would have a change of clothes our fleeces, etc. Will we have the opportunity to transfer the land portion stuff we want from the carry-on suitcase to the medium suitcase and then send the carry-on suitcase along with our large suitcases? Exactly how does all of this work? Any packing advice would be most appreciated.

We did the RCL per cruise land tour and our only train journey was from Anchorage to Seward and we had a non RCL Keanai Fjords tour booked. When we departed we Checked in all our luggages and took only the passports and ship document with us. Our luggages went on a separate bus to be seen only in the stateroom. We even had an airplane carry one with our thick jackets that went with the motor coach we were using on our earlier leg, they met us in the train station and handed us that carry on to us there.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

You may want to check the weather close to the time you are in Fairbanks. We were there last week and it was close to 100 degrees. We could only have a very small backpack under our seats on the train, and a carry on bag for the two of us that was somewhere else. The rest of our cases were taken and stored at the airport for our plane home.

Take something for the mosquitos. They are bad.

You may want to check the weather close to the time you are in Fairbanks. We were there last week and it was close to 100 degrees. We could only have a very small backpack under our seats on the train, and a carry on bag for the two of us that was somewhere else. The rest of our cases were taken and stored at the airport for our plane home.

Take something for the mosquitos. They are bad.

Yeah I second that..Alaska is going through a abnormal heat wave so dress accordingly. Yes , the national bird of Alaska is out in full force.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Archived