Waitlisting--why no cabin assignment?

ellasabe

It has been explained you maybe are not understanding it

I understand completely--I am an experienced cruiser. My specific questions and those of Kimanjo were not being answered. I know exactly what a GTY is, I know what a waitlist with a deposit vs. a waitlist without a deposit is. I know how a typical cruiseline operates with bookings.

What I don't know--and nobody except Hondorner and J&S seemed able to answer--is if a pax w/deposit and waitlisted for the same class will be offered an inside cabin OR assigned a cabin beforea pax w/an inside GTY.

The answer I am reading is "maybe"....or "I don't know" or even better, "only O knows."

If Pax A, who paid a deposit and is waitlisted for an inside cabin, is suddenly confirmed as an "Inside Guarantee", Pax A is going to have ROS (run of ship) for a cabin. Meanwhile Pax B, who came along a bit later, paid a deposit and is now waitlisted for an inside cabin. O has not moved Pax B over to the "Inside GTY" slot that Pax A has been shifted to. This means that if an Inside cabin does become available, Pax B is more likely to be put into that Inside cabin.

Theoretically, those of us who paid our deposits first should be assigned our desired cabin class first, prior to those on the waitlist being assigned a cabin, provided we are all seeking the same cabin class.

I'm seeking anecdotal feedback about this.

Theoretically, those of us who paid our deposits first should be assigned our desired cabin class first, prior to those on the waitlist being assigned a cabin, provided we are all seeking the same cabin class.

I'm seeking anecdotal feedback about this.

I believe that this is where your understanding of the process is lacking.

The only passengers who can count on being assigned to a specific Cabin Category are those who are HOLDING AN ASSIGNED CABIN NUMBER.

The "Guarantee Agreement" states that you will get AT LEAST the Category that you bought into the Guarantee on, but may also be assigned to a better (i.e. more expensive) cabin, AT OCEANIAS' DISCRETION.

Holding a Guarantee does not imply a better chance at being assigned to a given Category, except in the sense that Oceania has a vested interest in selling more expensive cabins for more money, if they have the choice.

As posted above

GTY = list #1

Priority waitlist (deposit paid) = list #2

waitlist (no deposit paid )= list #3

Anyone on any of the above lists should ask their TA if you used one or the person at Oceania where you stand

We here can only speculate & are not privy to the inner workings of Oceania

Don & J & S may have a better knowledge of such things than some of us here

Oceania is the one with the final answer

Sounds more complicated than it actually is

The only passengers who can count on being assigned to a specific Cabin Category are those who are HOLDING AN ASSIGNED CABIN NUMBER.

The "Guarantee Agreement" states that you will get AT LEAST the Category that you bought into the Guarantee on, but may also be assigned to a better (i.e. more expensive) cabin, AT OCEANIAS' DISCRETION.

1. If I want an Inside--which are Waitlisted--I would be better off being on the Waitlist (with a deposit) than an Inside GTY--correct?

2. Why does O advertise a particular category as Waitlisted when it is really an Inside GTY? Why was I made Inside GTY as opposed to Waitlist with deposit?

3. If, tomorrow, one of the Inside cabins cancels, who will be next in line for that inside cabin--me, or the Waitlister?

Sold Out?

1. If I want an Inside--which are Waitlisted--I would be better off being on the Waitlist (with a deposit) than an Inside GTY--correct?

If you really only want an inside cabin, then yes.

2. Why does O advertise a particular category as Wait-listed when it is really an Inside GTY? Why was I made Inside GTY as opposed to Wait list with deposit?

Guarantee implies that you will definitely be on the ship, wait-list does not

3. If, tomorrow, one of the Inside cabins cancels, who will be next in line for that inside cabin--me, or the Waitlister?

The Wait-lister is the only one who is IN LINE, but he is also unsure if he will or will not be on the ship.

• Sold Out means just that -No further reservations are being accepted-

1. If i want an inside--which are waitlisted--i would be better off being on the waitlist (with a deposit) than an inside gty--correct?

2. Why does o advertise a particular category as waitlisted when it is really an inside gty? Why was i made inside gty as opposed to waitlist with deposit?

3. If, tomorrow, one of the inside cabins cancels, who will be next in line for that inside cabin--me, or the waitlister?

Sold out?

What did your Travel Agent say?

Yes, but why would anyone want to do that. Unless you wanted a very specific inside cabin. But then, a GTY wouldn't get you that. Who wouldn't want a free upgrade to a window or a balcony?

...I know how a typical cruiseline operates with bookings.

Oceania is NOT a "typical" cruise line.

What I don't know...is if a pax w/deposit and waitlisted for the same class will be offered an inside cabin OR assigned a cabin beforea pax w/an inside GTY.

No. Not possible. The GTY ALWAYS takes precedence over a Waitlist, with or without a deposit, with or without full payment. The GTY will ALWAYS get a cabin; the Waitlist may not, and will never get one until all the GTYs are filled. The ONLY exception is if someone has a GTY for a higher category, say an OceanView. In that case, the person with the GTY will get at least an OceanView, and what goes on with the lower categories doesn't concern him.

The answer I am reading is "maybe"....or "I don't know" or even better, "only O knows."

I have not seen that answer to your specific question.

If Pax A, who paid a deposit and is waitlisted for an inside cabin, is suddenly confirmed as an "Inside Guarantee", Pax A is going to have ROS (run of ship) for a cabin.

Ah. Maybe now I can see where you've gone wrong. That ROS is on a "typical" (read mass market) cruise line. On Oceania, they will move heaven and earth to open up a cabin in the guarateed category, and will move any fully booked guests (meaning early bookers with cabin numbers) up as required to open up that room.

Example. I normally sail higher categories up to Penthouse, but due to budget limitations, for our Alaska cruise coming up in a couple of weeks, I booked a Category "D" Oceanview cabin on Deck 3 of Regatta as a GTY. I waited months and was finally assigned cabin 3027. The cruise completely waitlisted in every category; gosh knows how many people were offered upgrades before I finally got my cabin. (Disclosure -- a couple of days ago, just 2-1/2 weeks before sailing, I was offered an upsell and am now in a Category C2, 4019, for which I paid a fee. Apparently there was a late cancellation, and my move helped someone else get 3027).

Meanwhile Pax B, who came along a bit later, paid a deposit and is now waitlisted for an inside cabin. O has not moved Pax B over to the "Inside GTY" slot that Pax A has been shifted to. This means that if an Inside cabin does become available, Pax B is more likely to be put into that Inside cabin.

No. Pax A would be offered the cabin first. Pax A has the Inside GTY, Pax B has only a waitlist and therefore is in line AFTER Pax A. this is not rocket science.

I have a group onboard Riviera in October, my first with this line. One couple is booked in a GTY Cat E. One couple is in B4 assignment and has been waitlisted for a year for a E or D. One couple is waitlisted only with no cabin booked, just a deposited waitlist. Everyone else has a confirmed cabin.

The couple in B4 is paid in full and hopeful about their waitlist clearing. I spoke with Oceania yesterday. They confirmed that there is no such as a Priority Waitlist. It is either a GTY or a waitlist, which makes perfect sense to me.

There is a lot of availability in the upper categories. It will be interesting to see how it all works out.

I have a group onboard Riviera in October, my first with this line. One couple is booked in a GTY Cat E. One couple is in B4 assignment and has been waitlisted for a year for a E or D. One couple is waitlisted only with no cabin booked, just a deposited waitlist. Everyone else has a confirmed cabin.

There are NO E or D cabin cat on Riveira so l that may be the problem why they have no cabin booked :rolleyes:

The couple in B4 is paid in full and hopeful about their waitlist clearing. I spoke with Oceania yesterday. They confirmed that there is no such as a Priority Waitlist. It is either a GTY or a waitlist, which makes perfect sense to me.

We say "Priority Wait-list" to describe those on the Wait-List who are deposited, because there are those people who refuse to make one, but still leave their information with Oceania "just in case something opens up".

When a cabin does become available, Oceania naturally contacts those who have put money down first, which implies that they have priority.....

Hence the term "Priority Wait-List". :D

There are NO E or D cabin cat on Riveira so l that may be the problem why they have no cabin booked :rolleyes:

You are absolutely correct - it is F&G. I was working a river cruise booking at the time I posted and those cabins are D&E. Also, it was before 6am and I had not yet had my second cup of coffee.

:)

I really do not understand this two type of wait list cat. When I talked to Oceania to make a reservation I was told the cabin type I wanted was wait listed. If I wanted to be put on the list I had to reserve a open cabin type and put down the required amount. There was no talk about a two tier wait list of those who put down money or not. I really hope Oceania is not playing games with this, if a TA is that is between them and their customer.

I really do not understand this two type of wait list cat. When I talked to Oceania to make a reservation I was told the cabin type I wanted was wait listed. If I wanted to be put on the list I had to reserve a open cabin type and put down the required amount. There was no talk about a two tier wait list of those who put down money or not. I really hope Oceania is not playing games with this, if a TA is that is between them and their customer.

IMO it makes perfect sense that priority be given to waitlisted passengers who are willing to put down a deposit, more so than those who are not. It would follow that they are more serious about actually making the trip.

If I were not willing to take a more expensive cabin, then I would be inclined to book one anyway, waitlist the categories I did want, and then cancel before penalties kick in. While this is not ideal, it may help a bit if Oceania starts working the cabins before final payment date.

You really must try not to make everything that you don't understand out to be nefarious. It just isn't productive.

What we are saying here is that to be on the "official" Wait-List, then you must make a deposit, but that if you hesitate to make that deposit, then Oceania will still take your contact information (which puts you on some kind of a list).

The problem with not depositing is that others who may call after you, who DO Deposit, will get on the ship first.

If this still seems confusing, then any Travel Agent can guide you further.

Actually, I think in most cases the undeposited waitlist folks are those who have already booked a specific cabin and want to be on a waitlist for a different category. Say, for example, you have booked a category B but would like to have a Cat A; you already have paid one deposit and don't want to put down a second.

But wait, you say, that's different than a new booking? Not really; such a request takes up a space on the waitlist queue no matter they have another booking. In this case, all those who have a deposited waitlist position will take priority over those who do not. In these cases, guests can increase their chances of getting the desired category by putting down a second deposit. If it doesn't come through, they get their deposit back.

There is one more important thing to know about waitlist versus a confirmed cabin assignment or a confirmed GTY. In the case of the confirmed bookings, the price is that which was in effect at the time of the booking. In the case of the waitlist, the price is that in effect at the time the waitlist is cleared. As opposed to most of the traditional mass market cruise lines, Oceania has a tradition of increasing the fare or decreasing amenities as the departure time draws closer. Thus, you may get on the cruise in your desired category, but it may cost more than booking a higher category earlier...

...I've take GTYs a couple of times, but never a waitlist. I'm an OCD planner, and I'd never take the chance of missing the cruise. I'm also a confirmed miser, so I'd never take the chance of paying more.

You really must try not to make everything that you don't understand out to be nefarious. It just isn't productive...If this still seems confusing, then any Travel Agent can guide you further.

Even better, just think about what you would think is fair to the guests. That's the way Oceania thinks, too. Just because other cruise lines are most concerned with squeezing and shortcutting, not all cruise lines are. Oceania is also concerned about their bottom line, but recoginizes the best way to achieve that is to treat the guests fairly. It really is, "Your World, Your Way".

We tried for a Papeete/Papeete cruise in early 2012 (for 2013) and were on a wait list with deposit. We did get offered an upsell (the email kind, ok but not sensational deal or upgrade) and then a cabin in the category we wanted but both were considerably more than if we had signed up in time for a GTY. We changed our booking to 2014 to get the price and time we wanted and booked another 2014 cruise the day that cruise opened for bookings. We learned our lesson. I would do a guarantee but I would not be on a wait list again. I have read about people's great deals (with envy) but I prefer certainty and the good price point. I just wish I had come here before we did wait list the first time and had someone explain how Oceania works as clearly as you all have in this thread.

Incidentally, I heard about that cruise from a college alum offer (best price) but we called Oceania to ask questions and made the reservation. I later read here that if you did not book when the cruise opened, booking through your alum association was maybe a better way to go (in case other uninitiated are reading this and did not give up after page 2). Also, you can transfer a res made with Oceania to your TA.

I guess my problem is when I spoke to the cruise line about this they never heard of this plan, there is just one list. If you do not want to put you money where your mouth is they do not want to hear from you, which is a position which makes sound business to me. I do understand this, do you? To lead people to believe they can get on a list to go on a trip without putting down a deposit is a disservice to CC members.

To lead people to believe they can get on a list to go on a trip without putting down a deposit is a disservice to CC members.

Poor thing, you just don't seem to get it.

I will try this one more time-

Oceania will contact ANY PROSPECTIVE PASSENGER (DEPOSITED or NOT) if a specific unavailable cabin or unavailable cabin category, comes back onto the market.

The difference is that when something becomes available, they contact the Passengers who have made deposits FIRST.

In all cases, nobody is ever guaranteed space on the ship until a deposit is made, but you don't have to deposit to be notified of AVAILABILITY, which is. after all, the essence of a Wait-List.

Archived