Balcony cabin doors - Bang, bang, bang

I find the balcony doors so heavy I can barely open them. So if my cabin is next to you and my door slams :eek: ... it only means I lost my grip ... not that I'm being rude.

Totally agree........and I'm not frail...!!!

I think a lot of the slamming doors may be attributed to just what you sited.

When both doors are open, the hall way door will slam like it's going to fall off!

Sorry about your hand.

Ya, its definately noticeable that it has something to do with the wind. Feels like a mini cyclone. It even sounds like wind. Hurt like HECK. I think that is where alot of noise comes from. Sliders are much better. Sometimes (if the front door is even cracked) I cant get it open. And you have to hold the door all the way closed, and not let go to soon. This has been on the Eurodam & N.A. for my experience only.

In fact the sliding doors are on the older ships while the newer ones have the regular opening doors. This is because people tend to leave the sliding doors open which messes with the air conditioning system. The regular swinging type doors are more likely to be kept closed, making the AC system more effective for everyone.

Almost cutting off your hand is probably exaggerating a lot. Did the door break any bones or was stitches needed?

I do not believe this is an exaggeration at all! Even some of those sliding doors are heavy..

Within the past couple of years, I believe it was ILRJoanie who had a very serious accident when the balcony door slammed on her hand..If I'm not mistaken she had several broken bones..

Perhaps another poster will remember it & point you to the right thread..

Betty

On the Zuiderdam last month, we had sliding doors that one was supposed to be stationary--it wasn't. When the seas were a little choppy, the doors would open by themselves and then slam shut. Twice, the engineers tried to fix the problem to no avail. After the third day of the 11-day cruise, the steward gave us a clean microfiber cleaning cloth they use and I tied it around the door handles outside when we were on the verandah.

I'm sure the folks below us didn't appreciate the loud banging.

Thank you to everyone who posted a reply. I won't have to deal with this problem again as this was my first and last balcony booking -- it was a retirement gift to myself and when one has to pay the dreaded single supplement..... Anyway, it's back to my favourite Lower Promenade deck. Happy sailing to all.

This is totally the only thing that drives me absolutely up the wall, and the worst ever was on the Zaandam to Hawaii this last February. For 21 days, next door were some truly inconsiderate people, who not only smoked incessantly on their balcony, which we could tolerate, but they began at five to six A.M. BANG! our desk mirror vibrated. Entering five minutes later, SLAM! I vibrated... Ten minutes later, another BANG! And so it went all day and all night long. Being a polite Canadian, after about a week of this, I gently mentioned to them that you only had to hold the handle and let it close softly to exit and enter the cabin. Did it work? Fat chance.... they looked at me as if I had two heads. Not only that, their balcony door squeaked loudly every time it was opened. When you heard that loud rasping squeak, you just waited on tenterhooks for the following SLAM!

It was so bad, I actually wrote a comment card for the front office about perhaps putting out one of their "Gentle reminder" cards about the etiquette of balcony door exits and entry so then they sent the maintenance people to fix the squeak! Great, so now each SLAM! BANG! took us totally by surprise...

Oh my. Well, I'll just get down off my soap box now and please forgive this rant. This post just brought back some nasty thoughts about our neighbours on the Zaandam. Evil thoughts such as tossing them overboard.... cigarettes and all.....

They clean the balcony? Usually mine isn't overly clean.

Of course they do clean the balconies, and on a regular basis, salt from the sea has to be removed and washed off as part of regular maintenance. During the last world cruise for ex, every week, a member fo the crew (dressed in beige) came on the balconies, opened all the communicating doors and hosed down the place, including the chair and the table. We would find a little notice at our door the day before: In order to keep the ship pristine clean, etc

Also at least twice a week, while cleaning the stateroom in the morning, the cabin stewarts came out with some water and a rag and wiped the inside and the outside (hanging over the sea) glass portion of our verandah !

At the time, I assumed that it was why the hotel charges are higher on balconies, it demands extra work.

No ship (or cruise line) can afford to let salt eat out the steel structure of the balconies.

My experience has always been on the Amsterdam. I do not know what they do on other ships, I would expect the same to be standard procedure.

Also I suppose that a person how does not spend more than a week or even 10 days on the ship does not always notice this cleaning. But on the 115 day World cruise, it is impossible to miss it. So Vancouver fan is correct.

I think the occasional slam is totally understandable. As many have said, those doors are heavy and first time cruisers may not know the door will slam shut if you don't hang onto the door and let it close softly.

On the other hand, when you have someone who goes back and forth, back and forth and lets it bang every time, then it's just rude. I remember one cruise in particular, the man in the cabin next to us (he wasn't a small, weak man either) must have gone back and forth every 5 minutes. I know it was him because he also would yell to his wife inside the cabin as he did it. :rolleyes: I was enjoying our verandah with a book, dozing and relaxing, but I nearly jumped out of my seat every time the door banged.

I started a thread on this awhile back. It's not just the noise but the wall shuddering after the slam. Some sailings its more noticeable than others. I wish they could make the hinge to prevent the door from being able to slam. Sometimes it happens from the "wind tunnel effect" but often I have had neighbors who constantly let the door slam and it is very unpleasant especially when that door is behind the headboard:0

Archived