Live From The Royal Princess

Shogun

Just an observation, plus something I found out on my January b2b on the Grand. I can no longer use my 4-cup coffee maker on board as it is considered a fire hazard. So I either drink the "goo machine" coffee or pay for fresh ground. That leads me to believe that the reduced number of outlets is based on the same principle....each "appliance" plugged into an outlet is yet one more source of a fire. Agree that a CPAP is a medical necessity and there should be exceptions made for that (I have one but rarely use it! I'm a bad boy according to my cardiologist!) But how far can you stretch the "medical necessity" allowance?? Just another thing to keep in mind when we think about all the changes made to each new class of ship that is introduced. I guess what I have learned most from looking at Dave's thread and this one (and a bit from my two roll calls for 10/29 and 11/03) is that there are some features on each class of ship that I like and dislike. So I need to evaluate WHY I'm going on a cruise and what I think I'd like the most on each one, then select the proper class of ship that will best meet those needs/wants! Personally I like the smaller ones for Alaska cuz they can snuggle up to the glaciers! But when I went on the Star some years ago, the Captain pulled that pretty good-sized ship as close as he could (and set a record for that size ship) and it was exhilarating! Who knew? ;) I'm sure it's posted somewhere on these great forums .... Do not over anticipate! Go with the mindset that you WILL enjoy your trip! Always look on the bright side and things will work out and it will be a great trip!! :D

Have you tried the french press coffee mugs, I got some that have a storage place for grinds so you can have a second cup while out and about, I believe I got them online from liquid planet.

Having buyer's remorse on stateroom--but sailing not until Aug. 2014 with lots of great availability that I don't want to miss.

Sailing with many old Princess friends and local couple who want to be near us.

We usually do a mini.

We have booked one of those angled balconies on Riveria under the Skywalk. Having second thoughts due to the views and mostly night lights.

Choices:

1. Same room down on Dolphin or Caribe. Biggest angled balcony that is not handicapped. Less exposure to above, and noise, but still lights?

2. One of those forward minis on top of the bridge. But steel sides and possibly no access whilst at sea. (A big problem for me.) And light exclusion possibly at night for the bridge.)

3. An aft balcony. Love the aft, but no suite for this trip.

4. MA minis--next 2 each other, possible under the Skywalk (we like starboard)--do the doors open really improve the balcony size?

So, if you were me, what would you do. (A simple answer is sufficient.)

Enjoyed meeting you on the Crown TA last year. Next time I'll buy you a drink and give you a surprise. (Don't think nasty thoughts anyone.)

Are any forward corner Minis on the Marina or Lido deck available? They're supposed to be bigger and have a balcony on the side as well in the front. Princess has said you can use those balconies while at sea.

Things I probably won't care for on Royal Princess:

1. Small balconies

2. No "real" Promenade deck

3. No midship staircase above deck 7

Something I definitely KNOW I don't like about Royal Princess:

I'm not on her and cruising...

Then why post what YOU don't like if you are not sailing?? Just curious!!

The coffee machines were some of those that made me think it wouldn't be syrup, but actually tasted very much as if it was

Julie

We found the solution to syrup coffee to be the coffee card at the International Cafe... for aRound $30 you get a dozen or so premium coffees plus unlimited BREWED coffees! We take our own insulated mugs and they just fill up over and over.

Have you tried the french press coffee mugs, I got some that have a storage place for grinds so you can have a second cup while out and about, I believe I got them online from liquid planet.

I remember when we got those. I haven't used mine in quite some time! :p

I guess what I have learned most from looking at Dave's thread and this one (and a bit from my two roll calls for 10/29 and 11/03) is that there are some features on each class of ship that I like and dislike. So I need to evaluate WHY I'm going on a cruise and what I think I'd like the most on each one, then select the proper class of ship that will best meet those needs/wants! .... Do not over anticipate! Go with the mindset that you WILL enjoy your trip! Always look on the bright side and things will work out and it will be a great trip!! :D

Larry, well said. Couldn't agree with you more. On every ship I have been on I have founds things I loved and things I didn't love but on disembarkation day I was sad I was leaving but excited about my next cruise.

Cheers

We appreciate all of you who have taken time out of your cruise on the Royal to post descriptions and photos of different parts of the ship. One of our burning questions is--where do they have Daily Trivia? On the P. ships we've been on, it's usually held in Explorers, but now that's gone. So where, oh where, do they have it? Certainly Princess Live! that occupies that space wouldn't work.

They had one Afternoon Trivia quiz in the Wheelhouse and Crown Grill on the 2nd preview cruise. It was a bit strange - lot of 2 seaters around the Wheelhouse edge and no extra chairs to pull up so you can join with other teams. Or you sit in the Crown Grill dining area. We had to wait 15 minutes or so while they got the speakers sorted out in the Crown Grill so they could hear the questions. They certainly couldn't see the cruise staff!

As we changed from a port day to a sea day, they also added a Name that Movie Tune quiz during the morning which we heard as we walked by Princess Live!. The seats in there are not the best - fixed and not kind to your hips. Was disappointed that they held so many entertainment sessions there such as karaoke.

Then why post what YOU don't like if you are not sailing?? Just curious!!

No offense, but, I think it is called making a joke. ;)

What he/she doesn't like most of all is he/she can't be on the ship. The other stuff was just repeating other peoples thoughts and were not his/her own.

Believe me, I feel the same way!!

Ok You're wrong. Actually, I'm afraid you're not, sadly they are plastic.

They also mean that some sunbeds get an obstructed view of MUTS, take care when selecting your spit!;)

On the first preview cruise the quiz was in the Vista Lounge which I thought was a good venue for it.

Hi FlynnRider78, thank you soo much of your pics. DH and I are in a horizontal on the Regal in 2015 which is to be just like the Royal.

Would you mind telling which floor you are on? Also could you show a pic of where the bathroom door is in respect to the rest of the closet area? Is there a full length mirror?

You also answered my question if the shower had doors or a curtain......layout online looks sorta like doors....no biggie. But love that nice shower head DH is taller and will love that he can adjust it.

I am enjoying all the posts and taking notes for when we sail in 2015 on the Regal. :D

Hi,

We're on Lido deck, I'll take a pic for you later of the bathroom door, as you go past the desk on the right there is a full length mirror on the left, then infront of you is the wardrobe, you turn to the right so the wardrobe is on the left, then the bathroom is infront of you and the cupboard with safe and also some shelves on the right.

Hi,

We're on Lido deck, I'll take a pic for you later of the bathroom door, as you go past the desk on the right there is a full length mirror on the left, then infront of you is the wardrobe, you turn to the right so the wardrobe is on the left, then the bathroom is infront of you and the cupboard with safe and also some shelves on the right.

Hi, thank you again for all your wonderful info. Ah so the full length mirror is out in the bedroom area..ok. I am glad that princess did not get rid of it as a woman i depend on that when getting dressed and making sure nothing is tucked up where it shouldn't be. DH probably wouldnt notice and would let me walk down the halls to dinner with the dress tucked up......lol.

Hope you are having a fabulous cruise!

Hi All

Well we are in Vigo today, weather quite nice, met by protestors, making lots of noise, police on duty so no problems, they were complaing about banks, state of the euro etc,

A few thoughts about the ship, first the ship yard workers, some still on board have done an amazing job to build this ship in such a sort time,

watched muts last night pic and sound best yet on a ship,

fountains, liked to sound and muts is good shows only last a few minutes,

most watch from above a night, so problem with spray as no one sitting on deck by that time,

stair case in atirum has odd step spacing need to be careful when coming down going up OK

dining room still quite our table of eight only has us on it,

tried for chefs table and wine makers got note saying made wine makers but not chefs on wait list,

then a few days later

then a note asking if we would give up our wine makers slot,

as a couple want to swap from chefs table thought for a half second and said yes

will report back

trying Crown Grill tonight,

ship dropping some folks off tomorrow picking others up today and next few days,

praise must go to to the crew onboard, they have had to deal with getting a new ship ready, new places, layout, services etc

then us lot complaining but lots of littlle problems, which they have fixed with out complaint, in the fasted time possible, and always polite and smiling,

my fridge now works, air con works some parts of the day it is cold others cool , shower now the way it should be,

things that Princess need to add to other ships is the TV system, and the new lighting effects around the ship,

now I have another cruise booked on this ship next year, I for one will not be cancelling, in fact I will be looking forward to it.

last night something went wrong with a bridge alarm, very high pitch constant noise during diner, then loads of those sounds when some one leaves a mic on , the captain came on saying sorry folks tec fault. but boy did your ears hurt, not nice.

it was formal and again very high % in tux.

of to find a bar now chat more tonight

yours Shogun

Having buyer's remorse on stateroom--but sailing not until Aug. 2014 with lots of great availability that I don't want to miss.

Sailing with many old Princess friends and local couple who want to be near us.

We usually do a mini.

We have booked one of those angled balconies on Riveria under the Skywalk. Having second thoughts due to the views and mostly night lights.

Choices:

1. Same room down on Dolphin or Caribe. Biggest angled balcony that is not handicapped. Less exposure to above, and noise, but still lights?

2. One of those forward minis on top of the bridge. But steel sides and possibly no access whilst at sea. (A big problem for me.) And light exclusion possibly at night for the bridge.)

3. An aft balcony. Love the aft, but no suite for this trip.

4. MA minis--next 2 each other, possible under the Skywalk (we like starboard)--do the doors open really improve the balcony size?

So, if you were me, what would you do. (A simple answer is sufficient.)

Enjoyed meeting you on the Crown TA last year. Next time I'll buy you a drink and give you a surprise. (Don't think nasty thoughts anyone.)

I would do the same one down on Dolphin - from the photos it seems fairly private and far enough away from skywalk! I opted for the same one on Emerald (partially obstructed) and the more I see, the happier I am with my choice

Nice to hear some positives Shogun, especially that you're looking forward to and not cancelling your booked cruise in the future on the Royal. There are so many negative post on CC here, it is incredible.

232323232%7Ffp5438%3A%3Enu%3D32%3C%3A%3E63%3A%3E574%3EWSNRCG%3D375389%3B%3A84329nu0mrj

This is my picture of what you can see from the sea walk. Whilst it looks from this photo as if you can't see in the nearest cabin due to reflection, when I was actually there I could clearly see the curtain inside through the glass

DH and I will be on the Royal on September 15th. We have an MA cabin and this picture proves that our suspicions were valid . . . the midship (priciest) Mini-Suite balconies are in plain view of the people on the SeaWalk! I guess it's time to see if an MB is available.

Also, it looks like the size of the Mini-Suite balconies have been reduced to the same size as that of a Balcony cabin category. So the increase in price for a Mini-Suite on the Royal only buys us more real estate inside the cabin . . . and not on the balcony. Sad. :(

We’re tied into the Royal because of the Swiss Splendors Tour. After that, and coupled with some other things that we’re questioning about the layout and design of the ship, we’ll put the FCC’s that we buy onboard toward other Princess ships.

Don’t get me wrong. We’ll have a good time. We’ll just make the best of things that we can’t change.

Hi Sailing Sue!

Not only are the aft facing Marina Deck cabins fully exposed, they are on the deck directly below the Horizon Terrace.

Here is an aft view of Royal Princess. I've annotated each deck and the cabin numbers (last two digits) are on the sliding glass doors of each stateroom. Hope this helps...

9045375437_ef51990d4b_o.jpg

Hi Shogun

Glad you're having a good time and can't wait to hear more.

If you have the time could you look down from the aft of the Horizon Terrace and tell us what is in the middle of the cabin decks below. It appears as if the center balconies extend sideways all the way to the middle on Marina, Riviera, Aloha, Baja and Caribe but I'm just not sure as the descriptions on Princess say they are the same 9 ft. wide as all of the other balconies.

Thanks!

:D :D

________

Re the coffee...I just rediscovered an old non-electric coffee solution for myself...it's the old Melita type cone. You put the filter in the cone, then some ground coffee and pour the hot water through. I've been using it at home for a few months now and I forgot how easy and portable it is. The cone itself takes up some space, but the filters are flat...you just need a mug for it to drip into and some hot water.

Traveling with a 3 year old next week...I remember from a Princess Alaskan cruise that there was never peanut butter at the buffet. Has anyone noticed if this staple of my child's diet is available on board or should I pack a jar of Skippy for our trip!?

Traveling with a 3 year old next week...I remember from a Princess Alaskan cruise that there was never peanut butter at the buffet. Has anyone noticed if this staple of my child's diet is available on board or should I pack a jar of Skippy for our trip!?

I don't see it regularly out, but I have seen it, so it may be something you have to ask for. Though, if you little one really loves it, you might just want to bring one to be sure.

Archived