Alaska inside passage

SANDEE

Good Morning. Just checking attire for Alaska. Caprie's or long pants? End of June early July? What nights are formal?

Sandee

Hi,

We were there in Late June/July in 2009, the weather went from cold to warm, I would suggest you be prepared. We layered our clothes.

We Loved Alaska and will be doing a Land/Sea Alaskan Cruse this September:)

Have a great cruise;)

Hugh

It also depends on how cold/hot natured you are. I'm usually cold so I take my Alabama winter clothes. The average temps according to the Princess site say low 60's mostly. It's often damp and usually windy which makes it feel much colder to me. I layer, but don't usually remove have to remove clothes. I hope this helps you.

I took capris in lieu of shorts last August and wished I had just one pair of shorts. I was also glad for slacks/jeans I took. The weather can be quite warm in town, but gets very chilly while cruising and glacier viewing.

I didn't see many capris in the evening on the ship, which you do see on warm weather itineraries.

The visit to Glacier Bay is very cold and we had on just about every piece of clothing we could including gloves and sock cap. Ketchikan gets over 150 inches of rain each year and it rained both times we have visited (June and September). It was in the 50-60 range both times which is cold to us in the southwest. We wore long pants every day on the ship and in port. Shorts would have been cold. The covered pool area was somewhat crowded while the open pool area was deserted most of the time due to the weather.

I have been to AK both by ship and by air. It has been cold on all my trips in AK (Anchorage, Fairbanks, Denali and Homer) and I wore jeans or hiking pants, etc. July 2004 I flew to Anchorage. When we landed at around 8:00 PM the temp was 90F! It stayed hot the entire first week we were there. Every other time I have been in the center of AK (June, July, August), it has been colder with highs at best in the 60's. The key to AK is to wear layered clothing.

Good Morning. Just checking attire for Alaska. Caprie's or long pants? End of June early July? What nights are formal?

Sandee

A friend who lives in Anchorage just posted the forecast for this week. It's going to be 80-degrees and that's highlighted in big red letters as HOT. Nights are going down to 54-degrees. And that's inland. It'll likely be considerably cooler, if not colder, at sea.

An Alaskan cruise is very different from a Caribbean or warm weather cruise. You will probably be much more comfortable in warm pants during the day, slacks in the evening. I'd definitely bring sweaters or wraps.

The best advise for Alaska is layers. I wore a long sleeve and short sleeve shirt together almost everyday. They do have gloves, hats and scarfs for $10 each onboard. Since it rains so often, a waterproof, hooded jacket is best. Don't over pack. I see so many people buying shirts and things and then having too much luggage to go home. Enjoy Alaska!!

We are just off the Grand (yesterday in fact :D) and had GLORIOUS weather the entire cruise! Beautiful and sunny every day! I understand this is not quite the norm for Alaska though. I am usually always cold but was fine in jeans and a long sleeve shirt or light sweater. In fact, some days I wore a cami/tank under my top and got HOT. DO take a jacket because it is much cooler in the mornings and DO layer (layers that can be easily removed ;)) It is much colder near the glacier(s) and right around the water.

We half joked that it was "sad" that we went all the way to Alaska and the only time it was cold was in San Fransisco!

The weather is very unpredictable in Alaska. It could be 60 and raining in one port and 82 and sunny in another. Be prepared for all. It will be cool on the ship if you go on any of the outer decks. When close to the glaciers, you will want gloves and a hat. I'm usually quite comfortable with capris as long as it isn't raining. This time, I will probably pack at least one or two pairs of shorts. Sometimes it's nice to be more casual during the day. Definitely pack some sort of light jacket. I bring a zipper hoodie. I also bring my long sleeve long underwear that I can wear under a t-shirt for added warmth. You will definitely want a rain jacket or poncho. We will be on the ship for 14 days, but we will only pack for 7 and do laundry at least once or twice during the week.

A 7 day cruise will have two formal nights. Wear the same outfit both nights. Nobody else will know or care that you wore the same thing twice.

In the two Alaskan cruises I've been on I've only had rain one day. In June 2010, I was in t-shirt and shorts for several days, we sun bathed on our aft balcony. However, at night and while the ship is near the glaicer it is quite cold. Enjoy your cruise.

Archived