Panasonic FZ200 vs Panasonic FZ60K

I am looking at 2 different cameras. The first one is:

Panasonic Lumix FZ200 12.1 MP 24x zoom and the second one is:

Panasonic Lumix FZ60K 16.1 MP 24x zoom.

The 60 is about $200 cheaper than the 200. Is there a big difference in the 12.1 MP vs 16.1 MP? I am looking to take this on an Alaskan cruise next month. Any info would be appreciated. Thank you very much.

Liz

There are three basic differences between the cameras. Most obvious, and probably least meaningful, is 12.1 MP for the FZ200, and 16 MP for the FZ60. For any realistic enlargement size, and certainly for sharing on the internet, there will be no visible difference between 12 and 16 MP.

Second, the FZ200 shoots in RAW (probably only useful if you really enjoy manipulating photos, but it is there).

And third, and the reason for the price difference, the FZ200 has an f/2.8 constant aperture. The FZ60 has a variable aperture f/2.8-f/5.2 aperture.

What's that mean? With the FZ200, you can take telephoto pictures indoors with decent light. You can use a faster shutter speed outdoors in OK light, and telephotos outdoors with fairly heavy overcast.

The FZ60 is no slouch; the FZ200 gives you a substantially better lens. Is it worth $200? Probably, but that's always a tough call.

Thank you very much for your reply. I didn't think the mp would really matter, but wanted to make sure. Actually the last few years I have been using a little Sony cybershot p&s 10x zoom 14.1 mp, and the quality was actually quite good. So I figure either Panasonic will have to be a step up. I'm leaning towards the FZ200. Thank you again.

Liz

lol I had just finished reading that entire thread and looking at all the amazing pictures. The only thing that worries me is the lack of a manual. I don't have a lot of time before my cruise on July 13th to get it shipped to me and learn how to properly use it. We are currently traveling the country in our rv, and I won't even be in a place where I can have a package shipped to me for a least another week or two. Even with express shipping I am cutting it close.

The FZ200 has a digital viewfinder that can be moved. I used to own a FZ40 but spent the extra $100 (good sale) for the FZ200. If you are not planning to hold your camera above your head or at your feet, and you use iA mode, go for the FZ60.

Interesting. Half of me really wants the 200, the other half is saying that it might be too much camera for me to learn how to use properly in such a short amount of time and go for the 60. I will probably keep waffling right up until I click on the "buy" button from Amazon.

lol I had just finished reading that entire thread and looking at all the amazing pictures. The only thing that worries me is the lack of a manual. I don't have a lot of time before my cruise on July 13th to get it shipped to me and learn how to properly use it. We are currently traveling the country in our rv, and I won't even be in a place where I can have a package shipped to me for a least another week or two. Even with express shipping I am cutting it close.

Camera mfrs typically put their manuals on line now. I've downloaded all my Nikon manuals onto my tablet so I always have them with me when I travel, in case I need to look something up.

Interesting. Half of me really wants the 200, the other half is saying that it might be too much camera for me to learn how to use properly in such a short amount of time

The 200 has a lot of features that you can (eventually) learn - but with the 2.8 lens from 25mm to 600mm - I would go for it.

I had used the Panasonics in many travels (including Alaska) and mostly had it on automatic while shooting away!

Often there are too many things to photograph in a short segment of time and no time to worry about apperture, speed, ISO etc.

That is great news about the manuals and youtube videos, and it does make me feel more comfortable buying the 200. With all the traveling that we do in this country in our rv, I really would like a better quality camera. Thanks to all of you that have responded.

The 200 has a lot of features that you can (eventually) learn - but with the 2.8 lens from 25mm to 600mm - I would go for it.

I had used the Panasonics in many travels (including Alaska) and mostly had it on automatic while shooting away!

Often there are too many things to photograph in a short segment of time and no time to worry about apperture, speed, ISO etc.

Both cameras have the same basic shooting modes; the difference is what's going on behind the scenes, and the ability to shoot in much lower light with the 200.

And, as stated, you can just leave it on automatic until you get to play with its features...

Thank you all very much. I feel much better knowing that I can download a copy of the manual and watch the videos. With as much traveling that we do in this country with our rv, I really would like a better camera. Thanks again for all that responded.

Well I did it! I just ordered the FZ200. We are in Colorado Springs for 6 nights so I went ahead and paid for 1 night shipping. I am soooo excited. This gives me almost a full month to learn how to use it before our alaskan cruise. And we will be going to the top of Pikes Peak later this week, so that will be an awesome test. Thanks for everyones advice. Liz

Well I did it! I just ordered the FZ200. We are in Colorado Springs for 6 nights so I went ahead and paid for 1 night shipping. I am soooo excited. This gives me almost a full month to learn how to use it before our alaskan cruise. And we will be going to the top of Pikes Peak later this week, so that will be an awesome test. Thanks for everyones advice. Liz

Me too! I just bought this in store yesterday ... Happy to have the links to manuals and have saved them to my iPad for reading... It's my third Panasonic Lumix but certainly this one is the nicest and priciest.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mine is on the truck right now for delivery. Can't wait for it to get here, so I can get the battery charged up and learn how to use it. We have reservations on the cog trail to go up to Pikes Peak tomorrow, so that it will be true test for it. This will be my first Panasonic camera, as I have always had Sonys and Canons in the past.

Mine is on the truck right now for delivery. Can't wait for it to get here, so I can get the battery charged up and learn how to use it. We have reservations on the cog trail to go up to Pikes Peak tomorrow, so that it will be true test for it. This will be my first Panasonic camera, as I have always had Sonys and Canons in the past.

Enjoy your new camera, and Pikes Peak. The cog railway is a lot of fun!

Also --- if you haven't been to Garden of the Gods, I highly recommend it. Stunningly beautiful, and lots of great opportunities to use your new camera too!

Archived