weather in Boston in oct

craftymarie

hi, my husband & I will be in boston on oct 16th for 4 days prior to a n/e cruise on 20th. just wondering if someone could tell me what the weather will be like at that time of year and what sort of clothes to bring. TIA.

also we are thinking of visiting Salem will it be worthwhile and how much time should we allocate for the trip. any other tips are welcome.

Marie

The weather can fluctuate in August from mild, cold, snow, or rain, or all of the above (got married in October and had snow).

Also, I see you are going to be here the weekend of Head of the Charles. If you have NOT made reservations for a hotel, do so NOW.

hi, my husband & I will be in boston on oct 16th for 4 days prior to a n/e cruise on 20th. just wondering if someone could tell me what the weather will be like at that time of year and what sort of clothes to bring. TIA.

also we are thinking of visiting Salem will it be worthwhile and how much time should we allocate for the trip. any other tips are welcome.

Marie

Historical avg. 46f early morning-61f late afternoon, 7.7c - 16.1 c.

Historical avg. 46f early morning-61f late afternoon, 7.7c - 16.1 c.

Ahhh, averages. I had a friend drown in a pond whose average depth was barely 2 feet deep. :(

Like 1025 said, it can snow in October (it did in 2011), and it can be in the high 80s. I've worn a heavy winter coat to Fenway Park in October, and I've gone without a jacket in October.

Bring layers. Lots of layers. And a hat. And gloves. Good gloves.

Salem in October is like Disney during April breaks. Crowded, but fun. Halloween is with out a doubt a must-do one time in life (just get out of town before it gets to late in the night!)

The museums (Witch) are borderline entertaining and money is better spent elsewhere (IMO). They will also set up a haunted house or three (To each their own). There are a few National Parks / Historic Sites worth seeing, and ghost tours if you like that. House of Seven Gables and shopping will round out your day. Downtown will definitely have some things going on. 1 day is more than enough.

You can plan out your day with information from here

http://www.salem.org/

If any specific questions or recommendations needed, please let me know.

thanks for all your replies. we are so looking forward to seeing the stunning foliage. I am like a child in a sweet shop at the thoughts of Halloween activities and decorations as we don't do Halloween here in Ireland. it will be so different for us. if you have any other info I would be delighted. we are thinking of doing the hoho in Boston and shopping in the evenings as the attractions seem to all close by 5 :confused:. and I think the shops close later even 8 ish? it is stores like Michaels & Joanns craft stores I am interested in.

Marie

Plan on a variety of weather in October- could be beautiful crisp fall day, warm summery, or even cold and rainy. You won't need a parka but layers are a good idea. Salem is interesting anytime of year, but will be busier in October and more festive. I think half a day to a day will be enough- go to one or two witch museums and then walk around and see the costume shops etc. Getting there from Boston will take up time- and you will want to schedule it around rush hour. Re: the craft stores- the two that you mentioned are mostly in suburban locations. Your best bet would be to go to both on a day that you rent a car- either on your way to or from Salem. You'll find bigger ones with more variety outside of the city. I think it might be a hassle to find one via public transportation- not impossible as you could get to Somerville or Everett on the T (subway) but a bother. If you like the craft stores you might get a kick out of another New England area tradition- The Christmas Tree shops- which are discounted variety stores with all kinds of stuff in them- unrelated to Christmas except in December. You could probably plan a one day shopping adventure to a suburban location with all three stores. Enjoy!

You mentioned Michael's (general craft stuff) and Jo-ann (which is more for fabric and knitting).

The easiest Michael's to get to is probably the new one that opened recently at the small mall in Porter Square. Take the Red line T to the Porter stop. Check out the interesting bookstore/cafe while you are there.

As far as Jo-Ann, they are all suburban, and you need a car to get to them easily; public transportation would be 'painful'.

If you are going to Salem by car, this one is probably the easiest/closest (Route 114 exit off route 95/128 north toward Salem):

Jo-Ann Fabric and Craft, # 107

230 S Main St., Middleton, MA 01949-2449

978-750-6646

Trying to predict weather for October made me laugh. Shorts or a fleece, either may apply. But I do remember the last couple of years of Head of the Charles race days being a bit brisk.

You mentioned Michael's (general craft stuff) and Jo-ann (which is more for fabric and knitting).

The easiest Michael's to get to is probably the new one that opened recently at the small mall in Porter Square. Take the Red line T to the Porter stop. Check out the interesting bookstore/cafe while you are there.

As far as Jo-Ann, they are all suburban, and you need a car to get to them easily; public transportation would be 'painful'.

If you are going to Salem by car, this one is probably the easiest/closest (Route 114 exit off route 95/128 north toward Salem):

Jo-Ann Fabric and Craft, # 107

230 S Main St., Middleton, MA 01949-2449

978-750-6646

Trying to predict weather for October made me laugh. Shorts or a fleece, either may apply. But I do remember the last couple of years of Head of the Charles race days being a bit brisk.

thanks for info. We wont be hiring a car so at least I can get to the porter Sq store. But if I can figure how to get to the others also by public transport then you never know :D

re weather: judging by all your answers :) it sounds like similar weather to Ireland so we should feel right at home :D....

Marie

I am sympathetic to your wishes to visit this type of store. I still wear clothing sewn from fabric purchased in Turkey and Sweden among others, and have knitted items from yarn purchased on trips too.

I was at one Jo-Ann's (Burlington) yesterday, after I posted, and was looking more closely at exactly what they carry. As I mentioned, Jo-Ann's is more about fabric (esp. for quilting or upholstery) and knitting. I think that all the craft stuff I saw there would also be found at Michael's in Somerville (a very big, new store) and more still (scrapbooking supplies, for one). So you may not have to feel you're missing anything if you just go to the Michael's you can reach by T. (Note: Buses to the suburbs are not very practical if starting from Boston--what I'd call a long shlep.)

If fabric is what you are looking for, there are a couple of fabric stores in Cambridge/Somerville (Sewfisticated and Sew-Low, the former with more interesting selections IMO, and walkable one from the other) that you could reach by bus (from the Michael's iirc, but I'd have to check the T map for specific routes), if you want to make the effort.

If knitting materials are what you want, there is a small knitting supply shop in a house across from the Michael's, with some high quality yarns.

Best wishes for a great trip.

Archived