Live on Marina

rim2rimhiker

First time Oceania cruiser on the 10th Anniversary cruise. Love the unlimited Internet package, felt the speed is good. Went for the premium drinks package, which is working out well. Good champagne included as well as the Tyler Florence Michael Mondavi Cabernet, which reminds me of Caymus. Downfall is the overcoming of the meats. Order medium rare rack of lamb in Polo Grill only to receive well done, same thing happened in Grand dining room and overheard other passengers with the same complaint. Butler service is wonderful in the PH category. They really want to please you. Overall, really great!

We were on the transatlantic cruise before yours. Yes, you do have to order beef or lamb rarer than you really want it. I asked for rare beef and it was about perfect (med. rare), lamb I asked for medium rare and it came medium (in my opinion). It was very good though. The other thing I wished the chefs would do is lighten up on the salt - they use way too much for a lot of us. I went to one of the cooking demos and saw why, they keep putting more in - tablespoon instead of a teaspoon. Not necessary. My husband couldn't eat the Weinerschnitzel (?) but I had it later in the cruise and it was fine. I couldn't eat the veal scallopini in Toscana and returned it. It is a great cruise line even with the little issues.

Another odd thing is how the cabin information says there are two US voltage plugs and two Europe plugs near the vanity for a hair dryer when in fact that is not true. They are actually sending an electrician tomorrow to rewire the hair dryer so it can be used near a mirror. Something wrong there.

The other thing I wished the chefs would do is lighten up on the salt - they use way too much for a lot of us. I went to one of the cooking demos and saw why, they keep putting more in - tablespoon instead of a teaspoon. Not necessary.

I agree

I now just order low or no sodium meals

It is difficult to go to the buffet though so I usually stick with the GDR & I get the menu the night before to make my choices

Some Chefs have a smaller spoon for the salt ;)

Lyn

First time Oceania cruiser on the 10th Anniversary cruise. Love the unlimited Internet package, felt the speed is good. Went for the premium drinks package, which is working out well. Good champagne included as well as the Tyler Florence Michael Mondavi Cabernet, which reminds me of Caymus. Downfall is the overcoming of the meats. Order medium rare rack of lamb in Polo Grill only to receive well done, same thing happened in Grand dining room and overheard other passengers with the same complaint. Butler service is wonderful in the PH category. They really want to please you. Overall, really great!

Also on Marina now. Polo Grill along with you tonight. Sometimes, when volume is up orders may sit under heat lamps for a short time. Your meat may start out medium rare and end over done by the time it reaches your table. Curious, what time did you have your meal. Tonight, Polo was rather packed. Yes, the Cabernet, which Wevalso enjoyed was excellent, along with the champagne, and the glutten that I am, wonderful Resling with the apps. Were you at the same table as me?:)

This is our third cruise and we feel each one is better.

We are in 7133 which does feel larger than previous PHs. Maybe because the balcony is larger than expected.

In response to the outlet issues in PHs

We always bring a international converter to use the outlet near the vanity. It is usually needed in precruise hotels. At about $8 each it would be much easier for Oceania to keep these on-hand rather than rewiring!

Comments on our experience this cruise . . . . . . .

chaise lounges were already in place in addition to the 2 reclining chairs and table without requesting

there are more sommeliers in the grand diningroom (our glasses are always kept full)

The cooking class with Chef Kelly was A+++ I feel that I can replicate all of the dishes at home perfectly. (The Red Ginger Class)

In my past classes too much was prepped ahead and I did not actually see things such as the prep of pasta doughs.

standout staff: Olga our room stewardess is anticipating our needs and our bathroom sparkles( I am picky about a clean bathroom;)

The executive concierge is extremely hardworking! He is always running from place to place keeping everyone happy.

Lisa the social hostess has been on all 3 of our cruises and she greets everyone with a genuine smile!

Special 10th anniversary perks included an outstanding brunch in the GDR, free red or white house wines one evening in all dining venues, champagne breakfast delivered to PHs.

I will be doing a full review after the cruise including comments on some of the great private guides we have used for tours.

I took the Pasta cooking class but felt it was a disappointment. It advertised I would make pasta dough, but it was made for us. A complete disappointment and false advertisement. They should refund the $70 they stole from everyone.

I took the Pasta cooking class but felt it was a disappointment. It advertised I would make pasta dough, but it was made for us. A complete disappointment and false advertisement. They should refund the $70 they stole from everyone.

If you're still on Id recommend talking to them about it.

flour, eggs, salt, and water. ...couldn't be easier.

It that's "let it sit for an hour or two" that would make that class boring, if it wasn't pre-prepped. :p

My wife took that class on the Riviera...loved it.

We believe we have met the happiest service crew in a restaurant on-board!

Our favorite sommelier this trip is Susanna! She never makes us wait to top-up our wine. We have noticed more sommeliers and they seem more "on the move" in the GDR than our last trip. Susannah is personable and knowledgeable. We have had her in multiple venues.

Tonight in Jacques it was the fun combination of Susannah, Sandrico(sp) and Bikas. I have never been in a french restaurant surrounded by laughter. These two servers were having fun together and made sure all those diners in their section were not only served professionally, but had a laugh as well.

The escargot was hot-hot while not being over cooked. The french onion soup was delicious( but had enough cheese to be a main course). The scallops on this trip have been amazing quality and melt in my mouth.

Desserts were outstanding! We hope to get another reservation before the end of the trip.

One downside. . . . . internet has been very slow this trip. I think the unlimited package may cause some cruisers to stay connected even when they are away from their cabins.

Currents warns that internet is even slower in Russia. You can depend on my full review when we return to Nebraska.

The second hair drier they gave us broke down, but the good news us the third one has the plug in available from the vanity and has good power. Wife is happy.

Had Jaques delivered to the room by the butler. Our butler is making a big differ ence in this cruise. He wants to do everything

Hopefully we have Internet thru Russia. Don't approve of censhorship.

We believe we have met the happiest service crew in a restaurant on-board!

Our favorite sommelier this trip is Susanna! She never makes us wait to top-up our wine. We have noticed more sommeliers and they seem more "on the move" in the GDR than our last trip. Susannah is personable and knowledgeable. We have had her in multiple venues.

Tonight in Jacques it was the fun combination of Susannah, Sandrico(sp) and Bikas. I have never been in a french restaurant surrounded by laughter. These two servers were having fun together and made sure all those diners in their section were not only served professionally, but had a laugh as well.

The escargot was hot-hot while not being over cooked. The french onion soup was delicious( but had enough cheese to be a main course). The scallops on this trip have been amazing quality and melt in my mouth.

Desserts were outstanding! We hope to get another reservation before the end of the trip.

One downside. . . . . internet has been very slow this trip. I think the unlimited package may cause some cruisers to stay connected even when they are away from their cabins.

Currents warns that internet is even slower in Russia. You can depend on my full review when we return to Nebraska.

Am I following you around. Dinner also tonight at Jacques. I think we closed the place. DW, also onion soup, couldn't finish, wonderful but to much. I, myself two apps, lobster salad followed by red mullet. Both of us had the Dover Sole, need I say more. The crepe susette(sp) lady was having a wonderful time at her station. As I type(11:25 pm) and I think the sun is finally setting, we brought back to the cabin our desert to watch Cloud Atlas at mid night. Clocks ahead 1 hour, sun rise I think around 4:30' ouch! Tomorrow, Russia. Internet, mostly ok, not dropped to many times. Unlimited package, with discount, 19.95 a day. That's less than a dollar an hour. I find that even if you do not log out the system will do it for you after a short time of non use. My observation in the computer room, not very well attended. I use my I pad.

The second hair drier they gave us broke down, but the good news us the third one has the plug in available from the vanity and has good power. Wife is happy.

Had Jaques delivered to the room by the butler. Our butler is making a big differ ence in this cruise. He wants to do everything

Hopefully we have Internet thru Russia. Don't approve of censhorship.

You will be in Russia. The only other country that may be into censorship more would be China. Just keep that smile:p on and things will great.

rim2rimhiker

Next time the meat is over cooked, just send it back and tell them why. No matter what happen you should enjoy what you ordered and have it cooked the way you enjoy it.

Rick

The odd thing is they asked at the end of the meal if everything was cooked correctly. Too late, need to ask after we first cut into the meat.

After the 1st long day of touring everyone seemed to choose the Terrace Cafe. It appeared there was extra staffing and more head-waiters "running the show" than I have seen before. Service was very attentive. Servers were crossing their section-boundries to meet everyone's needs quickly. Oceania must have anticipated that many tired cruisers would pick the simple option of the buffet. The servers seemed extra eager to help and the smiles were plentiful for weary tourists. The only negative in the Terrace Cafe was a whipped version of cheesecake. It was not as expected and some sort of no-bake version.

After the 2nd day of St Petersburg we ordered room service from Polo to our PH. Nithin our butler set everything up nicely as he has each morning. The food was delivered as hot as the distance would allow from both Jacque last week and Polo this week. I often see Nithin hustling down the hall. He is quick and very professional. I think he has the added challenge of being butler to cruisers on more than one level.

I understand that room service and butler service is heavily used during the 3 days in Russia. Marina's staff is handling it very well. Most cruisers I have spoken to are ordering "in" every morning. Whether C,B,A, or suites the breakfasts are arriving on time.

Interent is not much different than any other port. Similiar in speed to the old "dial-up". We are glad we added the unlimited package instead of buying minutes.

That may apply to land-based wi-f-i, but the satellite is in the sky, not in-country, so shipboard internet will not change.

Maybe you can help me with a problem here in Russia. On previous stops, in Norway, Denmark , and Germany I was able to access Netflix and YouTube. Docked in St Petersburg both are being blocked to my I pad. Ain't suggestions or reasons?

Maybe you can help me with a problem here in Russia. On previous stops, in Norway, Denmark , and Germany I was able to access Netflix and YouTube. Docked in St Petersburg both are being blocked to my I pad. Ain't suggestions or reasons?

Could be the location ie: Country you are in sometimes they are blocked

Maybe there is something of interest in the ship's DVD collection until you leave Russia

Are you picking up wi-fi from a land-based source...or still on the ship?

Geo-blocking (for land based connections) is common for licensed streams, like Netflix, in certain countries.

When on the ship, you have an address (IP) that probably maps back to the US.

But...ship board wi-fi usually blocks streaming video sites, for bandwidth reasons.

I guess you were fortunate to get those sites in the prior ports.

(...and I won't ask why the heck are you watching movies on the cruise?) :p ;)

When I tried to use the ships WiFi to aid in geotagging some photos I always wound up in Florida (likewise my IP showed me in Fla.)

Makes sense... MTN, the ship's service provider, is based in Florida....that's where your connection would go thru.

Are you picking up wi-fi from a land-based source...or still on the ship?

Geo-blocking (for land based connections) is common for licensed streams, like Netflix, in certain countries.

When on the ship, you have an address (IP) that probably maps back to the US.

But...ship board wi-fi usually blocks streaming video sites, for bandwidth reasons.

I guess you were fortunate to get those sites in the prior ports.

(...and I won't ask why the heck are you watching movies on the cruise?) :p ;)

Thanks for your imput. I may have been lucky on some of my reception. Sometimes late night intertainment on my I Pad is better than the show room.:D

Archived