What you get when you're upgraded to the Grills, our QV experience

dancer11

We've cruised Brittania Club on QM2, and found it very satisfactory. This year, we sailed QV to Baltic for 15 days on an offer of free upgrade to Princess, which was again upgraded to Queens Grill 2 weeks before we sailed. I think I pinched myself every day to believe our great luck.

First, the size of the cabin itself was amazing, that in itself would have been enough. The hanging space for clothes isn't a huge difference, but there are a lot more shelves and drawers to store things. There is a desk as one enters the room, then a dressing table between the bed and the bathroom entrance. Having one part of the bathroom with tub and separate shower, and a separate room with toilet and sink was handy. Two televisions back to each other, one facing the bedroom, the other for the seating area. Towels were huge and thick.

Having a butler is a bit unnecessary, unless you like a lot of room service as he sets a table, etc. He brought a few hors d'ouvres each night. the other room perk is always having wine (or the hard liquor of your choice) on hand in the room, as well as soft drinks.

But the best part is the grills public rooms. When we were on the world cruise on QM2, I felt the general public areas were crowded. So the Grills small restaurants, the lovely lounge that was often unoccupied at different times of the day, the patio dining option, and the very quiet decks were a huge advantage.

While reading on the top deck one afternoon, we were first offered bowls of ice cream, then about an hour later tea was served including sandwiches and scones. I wasn't eating much of it, but it was nice. They even had sun block on hand for our use. The chairs are very nice and comfortable and the setting was nice.

The dedicated concierge helped with tour or restaurant reservations, billing questions, anything that would have required to stand in line at the purser's or tour desks downstairs.

The menus for the day were delivered to our cabin in the mornings. There were ample choices on them, but also 12 other entrees and many starters in the a la carte menu. Special requests could be made early in the day for non-menu items. So every dinner was an excellent meal. The small restaurants provide a quieter dining experience than Brittania.

So while we did spend late afternoons at sea reading in the Commodore Room, we loved the grills.

So I thank Cunard on the one hand for the lovely experience. On the other hand, now we are now very spoiled. How smart of them to upgrade passengers rather than leave unsold cabins empty during a sailing, as a taste of luxury sells future bookings at that level for many who receive a visit from the upgrade fairy.

Isn't it great to be upgraded to Queens Grill? We've enjoyed that blessing four times, all on QM2, including on our very first QM2 cruise in 2004. The only downside is the awkwardness of signing for all future bookings with your fingers crossed.

The one thing to remember is that the reserved outside deck space for Grills passengers is directly below the kennel area. I have observed during sunny days the crew member assigned to the kennels, hosing down the area where the dogs had relieved themselves, finely misting the Grills passengers below. I always visit the outside of the kennels to interact with the dogs, and have always observed this. A mighty upgrade, indeed.

We've cruised Brittania Club on QM2, and found it very satisfactory. This year, we sailed QV to Baltic for 15 days on an offer of free upgrade to Princess, which was again upgraded to Queens Grill 2 weeks before we sailed. I think I pinched myself every day to believe our great luck.

First, the size of the cabin itself was amazing, that in itself would have been enough. The hanging space for clothes isn't a huge difference, but there are a lot more shelves and drawers to store things. There is a desk as one enters the room, then a dressing table between the bed and the bathroom entrance. Having one part of the bathroom with tub and separate shower, and a separate room with toilet and sink was handy. Two televisions back to each other, one facing the bedroom, the other for the seating area. Towels were huge and thick.

Having a butler is a bit unnecessary, unless you like a lot of room service as he sets a table, etc. He brought a few hors d'ouvres each night. the other room perk is always having wine (or the hard liquor of your choice) on hand in the room, as well as soft drinks.

But the best part is the grills public rooms. When we were on the world cruise on QM2, I felt the general public areas were crowded. So the Grills small restaurants, the lovely lounge that was often unoccupied at different times of the day, the patio dining option, and the very quiet decks were a huge advantage.

While reading on the top deck one afternoon, we were first offered bowls of ice cream, then about an hour later tea was served including sandwiches and scones. I wasn't eating much of it, but it was nice. They even had sun block on hand for our use. The chairs are very nice and comfortable and the setting was nice.

The dedicated concierge helped with tour or restaurant reservations, billing questions, anything that would have required to stand in line at the purser's or tour desks downstairs.

The menus for the day were delivered to our cabin in the mornings. There were ample choices on them, but also 12 other entrees and many starters in the a la carte menu. Special requests could be made early in the day for non-menu items. So every dinner was an excellent meal. The small restaurants provide a quieter dining experience than Brittania.

So while we did spend late afternoons at sea reading in the Commodore Room, we loved the grills.

So I thank Cunard on the one hand for the lovely experience. On the other hand, now we are now very spoiled. How smart of them to upgrade passengers rather than leave unsold cabins empty during a sailing, as a taste of luxury sells future bookings at that level for many who receive a visit from the upgrade fairy.

How wonderful. What a fantastic upgrade. It sounds like your QG suite was one of those that was originally a Q5 or Q6 which was regraded to a Q4 - going by the description of the layout.

The Grills deck sounds very quiet and spacious. The only downside I can see if that there is no pool or spa up there. Is there a quick way to get to the pool, or do you have to get dressed and then wander down?

There is a quick flight of stairs down to the public pools. However, when a non-grills passenger climbs that LONG flight and stops for a breath of air, he will certainly be met by a Hercule Poirot-dressed Grills passenger who will snort that one must continue upwards without stopping. All eyes stared as I gasped for breath to ascend the next relentless flight, battering the mist of the kennel spray, to the top deck. I was never so roundly put in my place -- not even on the QE2, when I accidently wandered onto the wrong (or "right") side of the promenade and, dare I say, sat on a Grill Passengers Only lounger.

After my first Queens Grill experience, I was totally ruined. I can't book a Cunard adventure without a QG cabin.

I even found I have to have a butler on other lines now too when I cheat on my Cunard Line.:cool:

I was informed by the gentleman whom I described. I don't know how it gets known, but it does get known who belongs on the priviledged portion of the outside deck. Try it sometime, if not a Grills passenger. Try entering that priviledged space, and you will kow what a classed ship feels like.

I was simply relating my "Grills" experience. I did not once say anything disparaging or critical about either the person posting or about her experience. Just giving a balanced perspective of the "separation of the classes/masses" that Cunard still brings to the world of cruising. Am I not permitted the same freedom of speech?

I was informed by the gentleman whom I described. I don't know how it gets known, but it does get known who belongs on the priviledged portion of the outside deck. Try it sometime, if not a Grills passenger. Try entering that priviledged space, and you will kow what a classed ship feels like.

I was simply relating my "Grills" experience. I did not once say anything disparaging or critical about either the person posting or about her experience. Just giving a balanced perspective of the "separation of the classes/masses" that Cunard still brings to the world of cruising. Am I not permitted the same freedom of speech?

Of course you are, at least by the great majority of us here. Thanks for the QE2 story. I could have sailed on her, but never did. I regret it sometimes, but I just didn't have the money then; I think I would have enjoyed her classiest days, after the loft conversion.

Dancer11, thanks so much for your report. We had the luck to be upgraded to a Q3 on the QV last year, and I agree it was a lovely experience. We especially enjoyed asking our butler to help arrange sailaway soirees on our balcony.

I thought I could never go back to steerage again. But lo and behold, I did a crossing in a QM2 sheltered balcony later last year, and it was every bit as special. I was so excited that the Q3 had not ruined things forever! I am counting the days until our long awaited QM2 trip next year.

It's something about that Cunard magic that just seems to work for me wherever our accommodations are:)

There is a quick flight of stairs down to the public pools. However, when a non-grills passenger climbs that LONG flight and stops for a breath of air, he will certainly be met by a Hercule Poirot-dressed Grills passenger who will snort that one must continue upwards without stopping. All eyes stared as I gasped for breath to ascend the next relentless flight, battering the mist of the kennel spray, to the top deck. I was never so roundly put in my place -- not even on the QE2, when I accidently wandered onto the wrong (or "right") side of the promenade and, dare I say, sat on a Grill Passengers Only lounger.

You must be going back a long way there. The QE2 was far more egalitarian in the latter years. I certainly never saw any "Grill passengers only" loungers on the Boat Deck (i.e. the promenade deck).

You must be going back a long way there. The QE2 was far more egalitarian in the latter years. I certainly never saw any "Grill passengers only" loungers on the Boat Deck (i.e. the promenade deck).

I beleive there was a comparison made between QE2 and QM2: to quote: "not even on the QE2, when I accidently wandered onto the wrong (or "right") side of the promenade and, dare I say, sat on a Grill Passengers Only lounger.

So it would appear that Louise D and the post from njguy_south are in agreement?

Personally, it makes no matter to me. Passenger book whatever category that meets their wants and needs - including a very personal choice on how one spends one's time and money ;)

All I know is that the more passengers that book Grill Accomodations, the less I have to row :D

Cheers,

Salacia

Yes, some people do complain that Cunard ships are "classed". I saw a woman try to take a seat in First Class on an airplane and somehow it got known that she had booked coach and didn't belong with the priviledged. For some boarding a "classed" airplane must be a denegrating experience as does finding out that one's hotel has a "classed" concierge floor.

And this Grills experience, as you described it, means that Grills guests deserve to get misted upon with dog crap? A little editorializing perhaps?

I'm glad you had a good experience on QE2 so let the OP take some delight in their wonderful QV voyage. There's just one thing I don't understand. After your experience with the "classed" QE2 why would you subject yourself to the Cunard "class" system again? Well, I'm sure it won't happen again. You are probably finished sailing since so many ships today have "Suite Guests Only" areas. Who needs ships that are just as "classed" as a Cunard ship.

I beleive there was a comparison made between QE2 and QM2: to quote: "not even on the QE2, when I accidently wandered onto the wrong (or "right") side of the promenade and, dare I say, sat on a Grill Passengers Only lounger.

So it would appear that Louise D and the post from njguy_south are in agreement?

Personally, it makes no matter to me. Passenger book whatever category that meets their wants and needs - including a very personal choice on how one spends one's time and money ;)

All I know is that the more passengers that book Grill Accomodations, the less I have to row :D

Cheers,

Salacia

Hi Salacia,

I was just mentioning that there were no reserved outside deck areas for Grill passengers on QE2 during the time I was travelling on her from 2002.

However, I had heard that at an earlier time, loungers on QE2 located on the Sun Deck were able to be reserved by any passenger who paid a daily fee.

Louise

Hi Salacia,

I was just mentioning that there were no reserved outside deck areas for Grill passengers on QE2 during the time I was travelling on her from 2002.

However, I had heard that at an earlier time, loungers on QE2 located on the Sun Deck were able to be reserved by any passenger who paid a daily fee.

Louise

Hi Louise D. That's interesting...maybe the past is coming back to us? Pay a daily fee for a lounger - I can see where that might be a revenue enhancing measure for CCL :eek: - S

Dancer, thank you for your report. I'm very happy to read that you enjoyed your well deserved upgrade.

But cripes, now we need to find someone to take your place at the oars :eek:

Cheers,

Salacia

My question was in relation to the Vista sisters. I want to know if there is a quick and easy route from the Grills deck on deck 12 down to the main pools on deck 9.

So thanks for the information about getting from the Grills deck on deck 11 to the main pool on deck 8 on QM2, but I already knew about that staircase.

My question was in relation to the Vista sisters. I want to know if there is a quick and easy route from the Grills deck on deck 12 down to the main pools on deck 9.

So thanks for the information about getting from the Grills deck on deck 11 to the main pool on deck 8 on QM2, but I already knew about that staircase.

On QE there are three ways to get from the very top Grills deck down to deck 9. There are 3 (maybe 4) short flights of stairs on the outside decks. Alternatively you have to go down in the lift or take the inside central stairs. I'm not sure which way is the quickest, but I don't think there are any short cuts. Or maybe there are but I never found them!:)

On QE there are three ways to get from the very top Grills deck down to deck 9. There are 3 (maybe 4) short flights of stairs on the outside decks. Alternatively you have to go down in the lift or take the inside central stairs. I'm not sure which way is the quickest, but I don't think there are any short cuts. Or maybe there are but I never found them!:)

Just hang in there for a month or so - the way things are going it won't be too long before they instal a zip line! :cool:

J

I always enjoy reading about the QM2 so I thank you for your post and all the threads that followed. I retire in 6 years and plan to do a trans Atlantic on her when I do. Right now I'm like a sponge absorbing all the information I can on her. Thanks again.

Okay, thank you. I guess it will be the outside stairs then to avoid having to get dressed again.

Hi Salacia,

Louise

Early on on QE2 (and the Mary and Elizabeth before her) the Sun Deck did indeed have reserved loungers. They were the teak chairs with a navy blue cushion-very comfortable. There was a dedicated staff that served bouillon and tea complimentary or would fetch a bloody mary if needed.:eek: You reserved the lounger for the duration of the voyage (5 days at that time). At the end a tip was tendered to your deck steward. A man named Dennis ran the show in the early years and he did an excellent job. When you showed up, they met you at your lounger with those heavy woolen steamer rugs (blanket) that made you feel very cozy even on cold windy North Atlantic days. I still have one of the rugs with Cunard embroidered in gold thread (well gold colored anyway).:D A very nice way to enjoy outside time. Long before the "chair hogs" of today. If memory serves, I paid $50 for the voyage and usually a $10 tip at the end. I considered it well worth it and can still recall the smell and flavor of the most welcome bouillon. Probably more attentive care than that in the Grills these days. :D

The one thing to remember is that the reserved outside deck space for Grills passengers is directly below the kennel area. I have observed during sunny days the crew member assigned to the kennels, hosing down the area where the dogs had relieved themselves, finely misting the Grills passengers below. I always visit the outside of the kennels to interact with the dogs, and have always observed this. A mighty upgrade, indeed.

Isn't it strange how different people perceive different comments?

I saw this as a comment on Cunard's planning, and a warning to be careful where you sit, even with an upgrade. I thought there was a wry twist to the comment, and thoroughly enjoyed the humour of it.

BlueRiband, on the other hand, saw this as the poster raining on the OP's parade and thought NJGuy-South was commenting that they deserved it.

I think we need to read others' posts carefully and give them the benefit of the doubt unless they clearly state something. It is too easy to read the wrong content into others' words (we are not all trained to write clearly) and I would rather err on the side of being positive.

Archived