What you get when you're upgraded to the Grills, our QV experience

dancer11

PARTIAL QUOTE

Isn't it strange how different people perceive different comments?

I saw this as a comment on Cunard's planning, and a warning to be careful where you sit, even with an upgrade. I thought there was a wry twist to the comment, and thoroughly enjoyed the humour of it.

When I read the comment by njguy_south, I chuckled because it reminded me of the saying "some days you're the dog, some days you're the hydrant.":eek::D:D -S.

I always enjoy reading about the QM2 so I thank you for your post and all the threads that followed. I retire in 6 years and plan to do a trans Atlantic on her when I do. Right now I'm like a sponge absorbing all the information I can on her. Thanks again.

Kaduka1:

I completely understand that 'sponge' feeling, as I felt the same way before our first sailing on the QM2 in 2008. This forum was very helpful and I so appreciated the time that people put in to answering poster's questions (even repeated questions;)) and sharing their journeys.

Not sure if you have come across pepperrn's Cunard pictures, but they are the second best thing to actually being on board when there are long waits to do so.

Link:

QM2 - QE - QV - QE2 - interiors. QM2 cabin photos & ship tour. Crossing & Cruise pictures here...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/pepperrn/sets/ ...

I hope you enjoy the next years of 'anticipation' as they bring you closer to your TA crossing.:)

Jim Avery,

Early on on QE2 (and the Mary and Elizabeth before her) the Sun Deck did indeed have reserved loungers. They were the teak chairs with a navy blue cushion-very comfortable. There was a dedicated staff that served bouillon and tea complimentary or would fetch a bloody mary if needed.:eek: You reserved the lounger for the duration of the voyage (5 days at that time). At the end a tip was tendered to your deck steward. A man named Dennis ran the show in the early years and he did an excellent job. When you showed up, they met you at your lounger with those heavy woolen steamer rugs (blanket) that made you feel very cozy even on cold windy North Atlantic days. I still have one of the rugs with Cunard embroidered in gold thread (well gold colored anyway).:D A very nice way to enjoy outside time. Long before the "chair hogs" of today. If memory serves, I paid $50 for the voyage and usually a $10 tip at the end. I considered it well worth it and can still recall the smell and flavor of the most welcome bouillon. Probably more attentive care than that in the Grills these days. :D

Very enjoyable read on the QE2. Thanks for posting.

best regards,

seasidegal

We've cruised Brittania Club on QM2, and found it very satisfactory. This year, we sailed QV to Baltic for 15 days on an offer of free upgrade to Princess, which was again upgraded to Queens Grill 2 weeks before we sailed. I think I pinched myself every day to believe our great luck.

First, the size of the cabin itself was amazing, that in itself would have been enough. The hanging space for clothes isn't a huge difference, but there are a lot more shelves and drawers to store things. There is a desk as one enters the room, then a dressing table between the bed and the bathroom entrance. Having one part of the bathroom with tub and separate shower, and a separate room with toilet and sink was handy. Two televisions back to each other, one facing the bedroom, the other for the seating area. Towels were huge and thick.

Having a butler is a bit unnecessary, unless you like a lot of room service as he sets a table, etc. He brought a few hors d'ouvres each night. the other room perk is always having wine (or the hard liquor of your choice) on hand in the room, as well as soft drinks.

But the best part is the grills public rooms. When we were on the world cruise on QM2, I felt the general public areas were crowded. So the Grills small restaurants, the lovely lounge that was often unoccupied at different times of the day, the patio dining option, and the very quiet decks were a huge advantage.

While reading on the top deck one afternoon, we were first offered bowls of ice cream, then about an hour later tea was served including sandwiches and scones. I wasn't eating much of it, but it was nice. They even had sun block on hand for our use. The chairs are very nice and comfortable and the setting was nice.

The dedicated concierge helped with tour or restaurant reservations, billing questions, anything that would have required to stand in line at the purser's or tour desks downstairs.

The menus for the day were delivered to our cabin in the mornings. There were ample choices on them, but also 12 other entrees and many starters in the a la carte menu. Special requests could be made early in the day for non-menu items. So every dinner was an excellent meal. The small restaurants provide a quieter dining experience than Brittania.

So while we did spend late afternoons at sea reading in the Commodore Room, we loved the grills.

So I thank Cunard on the one hand for the lovely experience. On the other hand, now we are now very spoiled. How smart of them to upgrade passengers rather than leave unsold cabins empty during a sailing, as a taste of luxury sells future bookings at that level for many who receive a visit from the upgrade fairy.

Thanks for posting this review dancer11, we are going on QV in November 2013 and have booked a queens grill suite for the first time.

We have not tried QV before and can't wait, you described your experience very well. We have one of the corner staterooms on deck 8, might even get upgraded. Would not be bothered though, quite looking forward to the corner balcony.

Would love to hear more if you would not mind posting on here.

Catherine

To the comments of hosing down the kennel area above the grills sun decks, it does not apply to Queen Victoria. There's no kennels. The sun decks are on decks 11 and the upper terrace just above the grill restaurants, so there is nothing above the deck where we enjoyed the sun.

Also, there is no way to accidentally enter the grills sun decks, so no one need be rude to someone from the other floors, as one poster remarked. To use the elevator to 11, you must insert your room key just below the elevator buttons. The stairs from deck 10 are clearly marked that they are for the grills. If you aren't staying in grills cabins and you end up in the grills sun decks on Queen Victoria, I would have to say you got there intentionally.

And to the poster who would miss us in the rowing section, don't fear, we will be back to rowing again in the future. Reminds me of one of our trips on Crystal and being the only couple at our dinner table not in a suite with a butler. My husband announced to the rest of them that we were not allowed off for excursions until we had done their laundry, and that their butler slept in our balcony. However, we also got to wear those clothes we laundered. We all had lots of jokes about that the rest of the trip.

Early on on QE2 (and the Mary and Elizabeth before her) the Sun Deck did indeed have reserved loungers. They were the teak chairs with a navy blue cushion-very comfortable. There was a dedicated staff that served bouillon and tea complimentary or would fetch a bloody mary if needed.:eek: You reserved the lounger for the duration of the voyage (5 days at that time). At the end a tip was tendered to your deck steward. A man named Dennis ran the show in the early years and he did an excellent job. When you showed up, they met you at your lounger with those heavy woolen steamer rugs (blanket) that made you feel very cozy even on cold windy North Atlantic days. I still have one of the rugs with Cunard embroidered in gold thread (well gold colored anyway).:D A very nice way to enjoy outside time. Long before the "chair hogs" of today. If memory serves, I paid $50 for the voyage and usually a $10 tip at the end. I considered it well worth it and can still recall the smell and flavor of the most welcome bouillon. Probably more attentive care than that in the Grills these days. :D

Thanks Jim, I hoped you might come along and tell me if my understanding of this aspect of QE2's history was right or wrong. Much appreciated.

Louise

I was informed by the gentleman whom I described. I don't know how it gets known, but it does get known who belongs on the priviledged portion of the outside deck. Try it sometime, if not a Grills passenger. Try entering that priviledged space, and you will kow what a classed ship feels like.

I was simply relating my "Grills" experience. I did not once say anything disparaging or critical about either the person posting or about her experience. Just giving a balanced perspective of the "separation of the classes/masses" that Cunard still brings to the world of cruising. Am I not permitted the same freedom of speech?

You'll find the same "class" system(as you call it)on NCL's Epic.Venture into the villas & you'll get quickly removed. They are even more segragated having the top part of the ship all to themselves.

The one thing to remember is that the reserved outside deck space for Grills passengers is directly below the kennel area. I have observed during sunny days the crew member assigned to the kennels, hosing down the area where the dogs had relieved themselves, finely misting the Grills passengers below. I always visit the outside of the kennels to interact with the dogs, and have always observed this. A mighty upgrade, indeed.

Really?? I thought the misting came from the attendant who misted Richard & myself with an Evian spray bottle when it got hot.

Isn't it great to be upgraded to Queens Grill? We've enjoyed that blessing four times, all on QM2, including on our very first QM2 cruise in 2004. The only downside is the awkwardness of signing for all future bookings with your fingers crossed.

Lucky you!!!!...... I always have to pay "my way"

and FOUR TIMES. so people have all the luck:)

I was informed by the gentleman whom I described. I don't know how it gets known, but it does get known who belongs on the priviledged portion of the outside deck. Try it sometime, if not a Grills passenger. Try entering that priviledged space, and you will kow what a classed ship feels like.

I was simply relating my "Grills" experience. I did not once say anything disparaging or critical about either the person posting or about her experience. Just giving a balanced perspective of the "separation of the classes/masses" that Cunard still brings to the world of cruising. Am I not permitted the same freedom of speech?

I think it was the hessian jacket with holes in the sleeves, gaily tilted, oversized flat cap and the soot on your nose and cheeks that gave you away. It's also not a good idea to sing tunes from Oliver or Mary Poppins in a Dick Van Dyke faux cockney accent when ascending the steps to heaven.

Other than that, I can't figure out how they spotted you. Even on tiny little QE, we were once almost 3 weeks into a voyage before a former workmate dining at the other end of QG spotted me when on the way to the door and came over to say hello.

This "class" thing on Cunard is weird. Other lines have separate areas on their ships that are based purely on how much you pay. Getaway/Vantage aside, whichever you choose, within each fare category you pay more as you move to higher cabin grades. When you pay more, you expect to get more, otherwise why bother. That extra cost might mean more privacy, more comfort better food, bigger cabin etc. Segregation by price may mean that in some circumstances it is necessary to only allow access to those who have paid for the extra privacy/space.

Suggesting that Cunard have some special system based on the so-called "Class" of passengers is specious at best and childish at worst. Just as one example already pointed out, NCL have segregation for their Haven passengers with some areas only available to them but nobody considers that makes their ships class-based! I can only assume that too many people have watched Titanic too often and seem to think that it is somehow useful to perpetuate the theatrical idea that the current Cunard is still back in the early 20th century (navigation aside);) Just as long as nobody takes this thing too seriously. From those I have met, the description given by Chunky probably applies more to upper class toffs heading back from the shooting fields than your average Joe on the commuter train:D! The Cunard Line certainly has history to it's name, but that is as far as it goes - it is just a brand in the current cruise world - and there is nothing wrong with that.

As others have said, it is so nice to reads posts that talk about yesteryear and the possible change\variation in standards. Thank you for sharing your experiences.

I am guessing a five day crossing would usually mean a strong wind blowing straight down the ship from bow to stern but were there times when 'soot' smuts were a problem when laying out on a sun lounger?

but were there times when 'soot' smuts were a problem when laying out on a sun lounger?

No problem, the steerage passengers not on rowing duty were on constant standby, ready to clean them off.

One should always find a purpose for the proletariat, don't you think?

Sir Martin

No problem, the steerage passengers not on rowing duty were on constant standby, ready to clean them off.

One should always find a purpose for the proletariat, don't you think?

Sir Martin

Now I know what the captain meant when he told me to get the scrubbers working :eek:;)

As others have said, it is so nice to reads posts that talk about yesteryear and the possible change\variation in standards. Thank you for sharing your experiences.

I am guessing a five day crossing would usually mean a strong wind blowing straight down the ship from bow to stern but were there times when 'soot' smuts were a problem when laying out on a sun lounger?

Good point, Glojo. Yes, occasionally there were some oily black specks. Primarily when she was steam turbine powered burning heavy fuel oil and more so when she was pushing hard. Typically, the Engineers would "blow the pipes" at night cleaning a great deal of this "soot" out of the exhaust uptakes. Then the deck crew always hosed down(steerage scrubbers???) the decks in the early morning hours so they were clean for the passengers. You mention the wind straight down the decks. Mostly, with the inclusion of the ambient wind for any location, the exhaust stream angled either port or starboard astern. I have seen it go straight up and form a gray cloud over the ship with following winds.:eek: The sundeck mentioned was well protected with glass windbreaks all around. I always felt comfortable there (with the woolen steamer rug) but often thought it would be a very hot place to lay out in the Tropics.:eek::D

Good point, Glojo. Yes, occasionally there were some oily black specks. Primarily when she was steam turbine powered burning heavy fuel oil and more so when she was pushing hard. Typically, the Engineers would "blow the pipes" at night cleaning a great deal of this "soot" out of the exhaust uptakes. Then the deck crew always hosed down(steerage scrubbers???) the decks in the early morning hours so they were clean for the passengers. You mention the wind straight down the decks. Mostly, with the inclusion of the ambient wind for any location, the exhaust stream angled either port or starboard astern. I have seen it go straight up and form a gray cloud over the ship with following winds.:eek: The sundeck mentioned was well protected with glass windbreaks all around. I always felt comfortable there (with the woolen steamer rug) but often thought it would be a very hot place to lay out in the Tropics.:eek::D
Hi Jim,

Thank you for that most informative post. ;) I mentioned the wind straight down the deck solely because I have not really experienced the speeds these ship had to maintain for a five day crossing. I was interested to hear how the wind was deflecting at those speeds and thank you for pointing it out.

28 knots and above on a small frigate would see every 'rivet' rattling and it would certainly be an exhilarating experience but only on a nice flat, calm sea.

In days of old before ships were airconditioned we would sleep out on the upper deck and as you rightly point out, the stokers would routinely blow soot during the Middle Watch and all those sleeping aft of the funnel would all be candidates for an audition with the Black and White Minstral Show (a slight exaggeration) but once more I agree with you and this problem is nowhere near as bad now that steam turbines are being phased out.

I hear that the Queen Mary 2 actually burns a heavy type of fuel for her main diesels and only burns diesel for the gas turbines? (Oquestion) I am saying question as it is something I read and have no knowledge on whether this is factually correct.

Going back to the soot type conversation...

We would regularly clean our gas turbines by pouring in crushed walnut shells, this was done with the engines running and the residue would get blasted up the funnel. :eek: :) I am guessing the likes of the Queen Mary would have more of her scrubbers to deal with this issue

Hi Jim,

Thank you for that most informative post. ;) I mentioned the wind straight down the deck solely because I have not really experienced the speeds these ship had to maintain for a five day crossing. I was interested to hear how the wind was deflecting at those speeds and thank you for pointing it out.

28 knots and above on a small frigate would see every 'rivet' rattling and it would certainly be an exhilarating experience but only on a nice flat, calm sea.

In days of old before ships were airconditioned we would sleep out on the upper deck and as you rightly point out, the stokers would routinely blow soot during the Middle Watch and all those sleeping aft of the funnel would all be candidates for an audition with the Black and White Minstral Show (a slight exaggeration) but once more I agree with you and this problem is nowhere near as bad now that steam turbines are being phased out.

I hear that the Queen Mary 2 actually burns a heavy type of fuel for her main diesels and only burns diesel for the gas turbines? (Oquestion) I am saying question as it is something I read and have no knowledge on whether this is factually correct.

Going back to the soot type conversation...

We would regularly clean our gas turbines by pouring in crushed walnut shells, this was done with the engines running and the residue would get blasted up the funnel. :eek: :) I am guessing the likes of the Queen Mary would have more of her scrubbers to deal with this issue

RE: Your question. That is my understanding also. Heavy oil for the main diesels and a form of kerosene for the turbines. The old walnut shell trick also had the benefit of producing quite a pyrotechnic display out the stack at night.:eek::D

The old walnut shell trick also had the benefit of producing quite a pyrotechnic display out the stack at night.:eek::D
Even starting these beasts had the same effect especially if started at night in harbour :D:eek:

From my understanding the turbines needed to be spun up, fuel introduced and then someone to strike a match :rolleyes: (I'm sure some pedantic might tell me they were not lit by someone striking a match!) The effects however were most impressive with the unburnt fuel being ignited high up in the night sky.

From what I am reading the Queen Mary 2 is now very rarely using her turbines as they are so, so expensive to use. (eye watering expensive)

...Queen Mary 2 is now very rarely using her turbines as they are so, so expensive to use. (eye watering expensive)

According to one of her senior officers last year her turbines are always used in New York harbor or any situation where she might need reserve power.

According to one of her senior officers last year her turbines are always used in New York harbor or any situation where she might need reserve power.

I am someone that is extremely inquisitive and I find that statement very interesting. I can understand what they are saying but my brain would ask 'What is so special about New York?'

Do they run both gas turbines or just one? Do they put them in gear or just have them running?

I should imagine that the passengers who are up and about as the ship prepares to enter or leave New York will witness that huge flame that will leave the funnel as these engines start?

Has anyone taken pictures of this event? Can folks confirm they do run the gas turbines? How close do passengers get to the air intakes of these engines?

I have NO experience of electric power and all I know is that with both electric powered cars and motor bikes they have amazing acceleration as you just throw in the volts and the electric motors respond far quicker than conventional systems.

Without the gas turbines the Queen Mary 2 can achieve just over 23 knots and would it accelerate any quicker up to that speed with the gas turbines?

If you try to accelerate too quickly would the propellers cavitate? Note this is a question and definitely NOT a statement. I have no experience of using this type of propulsion and I am imagining that the power to reach 23 knots is available on tap at the flick of the throttle levers providing all four engines are running?? (having the gas turbines standing by whenever entering or leaving any harbour may well make good sense and I am certainly not disagreeing with this suggestion, I have no opinion and am simply very curious)

One forum member allegedly had a chat with the wife of the Commodore and she made a very informative statement regarding the use or lack thereof regarding these engines.:o:o (something folks will have to use the search engine to find)

Archived