Windsurf vis a vis Silversea?

e.h. beach bum

Never having been on Windstar but frequently cruising on Silversea can anyone comment on the differences/

Will there be children on board? Is the food quality comparable?

Is the Windsurf considered an upscale experience?

We are considering back to back cruises Nov 8 to 23, 2013

I may not be the person to comment on this but I will anyway. I've been on Silversea once with no desire to go back, and Windstar twice with another B2B booked. My last Windstar voyage was before the last management change so some things may have changed a bit but I should be pretty accurate. Here are some of the differences:

Windstar is not all inclusive. You will be charged for alcohol, soft drinks, and perhaps bottled water. I don't think the prices are bad but don't drink so I haven't paid that much attention. I don't think there is much of a restriction on what you can bring on board. The specialty restaurants are included in the fare.

There are no laundry rooms. I remember that Silversea had them mostly because my Silver Whisper cruise set out on 4 sea days with a 1-day supply of detergent.

There will be less in the way of activities and entertainment. They do not have enrichment speakers, although once in a while a staff member will give a presentation, like the fitness director's talk about his Kilamanjaro climb. There will be bands playing in the lounges, but not generally a set entertainment program in the evening. The one likely exception will be a show put on by the crew reflecting their native culture.

Unless it has changed very recently, Windstar has an "open bridge" policy. At the safety briefing, the Captain makes an announcement along the lines of "The bridge is open only to invited guests. You're all invited." The bridge will be closed at critical navigation times but normally they welcome guests.

I found the service superb and personal. On my second cruise, 11 months after the first, I was welcomed back by my first cruise room steward.

If you have other questions, I'll try to respond.

Roy

Soft drinks, coffee, tea, water, basically anything without alcohol is free. There is no self-served laundry but they do had laundry service available (for a fee or package).

We did one cruise with WS and there was only on young lady on board (12yds?) and a young couple in their early 20's.

Food is good

cheers

No prob. You can also bring wine/champagne on board (no hard liquor). You can drink it in your cabin or you can bring it to dinner or at the bar for a corking fee (15$). Wine by the glass was about 7$, a beer 6$, etc

Archived