Elation -- Woman overboard!

TxShipShape

You heard so many stories aboard that it was difficult to determine what happened. Mrs. Vonnie Ayer went missing at about 7:00 a.m. We kept hearing calls for her over the PA system to report to the Purser's desk starting from around 10:00. The Captain came on came on about 12:30 and announced that a passenger may have fallen overboard sometime after 7:00 and that we were turning around to look for her just in case and that it would take us until about 5:00 p.m. to arrive at the ship's 7:00 a.m. location. At about 2:30, the CD, Jorge Solano, came on and he was clearly upset. He asked everyone to go to the closest T.V. and look at the woman's picture and report if they had seen her. From the photo, she did appear to be a larger woman. I mention this only because it would have been difficult for her to get over the railing. The crew was not talking.

Now the scuddlebutt: She was suffering from epilepsy, she was suffering from schizophrenia, she was delusional, they found her clothes next to a stern railing and they found finger prints on one post high enough that it would require you to be standing on the rail.

All I really know is that her kids were devastated at what appears to have been a suicide or at least an accident brought on by mental illness as the Elation was heading home. Apparently, her kids continued to eat in the dinning room and stayed in their own staterooms. It was a sad situation.

Oh how sad! I actually have connections to this family. I teach choir at a local high school and I'm friends with the choir teacher from one of our other high schools in the district. My friend just left my house and said that this lady was one of her students' mother and she was in the booster club. I feel so bad for her husband and these precious kids. My friend had just left the high school today, talking to the principal and counselor, to see what they need to do for the family. Please, please, please keep them in your prayers. Also, out of respect for the family, please don't assume, speculate or make up stories about what happened. They are going through enough right now as it is. Please pray!!

Guess I am a little confused. One article read that the family minister was meeting with the family on sunday and the husband was looking for a "good out come to this." Wonder what has changed the husbands mind.

Can you post the link to that article.

:( We were on the Elation June 19th sailing.

I think Carnival did everything possible in the search for the missing lady.. There were 15 in our party, and several ages, She was seen several nights, wasted, but that's not anything wrong, I did hear from others, whom their room was near theirs, and their children buddied with them, that there were issues.. Medicine changes, mental state, and a huge fight that morning that the whole floor heard...???

I guess she stormed out about 6:45 am.. I don't know if the husband went looking for her, but the they started paging her about 10:00am.. around 11:00 am they informed us that a woman wa missing and feared to have gone overboard... how sad it was,,, everyone looked everwhere for her..

Word is her family was not totally surprised, because she had been having problems... I don't know in my heart if she did this alone or with help.. I do know , we went looking and it would take effort to get off the boat!!! how scary.. I don feel for the family . Our thoughts are with you and yours, and I will never forget her picture.. or that day.:(

I do believe Carnival did a great job... I just hope we keep posted, in what they find out....

It was a woman overboard and they never found her. Reports from the ship she fell overboard sometime after leaving Belize and due to international law the ship had to go back and search for her. Went back about 4 to 5 hours and no sign. Also Mexican Navy was also called into search for her. Please put her and her family in your prayers.

I think what some were offended at was just this, that you are implying she DECIDED to do it consciously and rationally, when NO ONE knows if that's true of if she was in a completely irrational state of mind and really didn't know what she was doing at all.

Exactly!!! The implication that she made the decision rationally with no thoughts to her children or husband's feelings...that is what offended me.

I do wish her family well...it is a sad, unfortunate situation, and they will need lots of support and love.

The FBI indicated that foul play or an accident had been ruled out.

Being in law enforcement, that tells me that they have reason to believe, that she intentionally "disappeared" from the ship. To protect the person's family, they seldom release all of the information, that they have developed.

A very difficult situation, for the family, to say the least.............

I was on this ship too. Once we heard about it, it put a damper on the rest of the cruise. We just kept thinking about her and her family. It is indeed a tragedy. I feel for their 3 children and the husband. Keep them in your prayers.

Debbie

:confused: Any new news on the missing Woman?

I have a news alert set up for more information. Nothing yet.

The Houston Chronicle reports that a 40-year old woman travelling with her husband and three teenaged children went missing off the Caribbean coast of Mexico at 11 AM. The ship conducted a full search where she was presumed to have gone overboard but was not successful in finding her. Though not explicitly stated, news reports imply she committed suicide. Unrelated is that the ship lost power and was adrift for an hour around mid-day on Saturday (June 25).

from

http://www.cruisejunkie.com/events.html

This is so sad and her family is in my prayers... I do wonder if they have found a body yet? Oh that must be so terrible for her children:( . They need some kind of closure. No new info or anything??

i was actually on this cruise ship. the weird thing about this is it took 4 hours for the husband to go to authorities and let them know she was missing. Once the captain got on the loud speaker and told us about it he sounded very distraught. it caused others to be emotional as well. another thing they failed to mention is how on the day after the search the engines kept failing and the boat would come to a complete stop. That part was terrible as well.

... the weird thing about this is it took 4 hours for the husband to go to authorities and let them know she was missing...

I don't find this weird. My husband and I have been apart on a ship for much longer than 4 hours...each doing our own thing. Also, if there was some kind of argument, I'd give my DH 4 hours to cool off, or it could take me 4 hours to cool off. I just don't think 4 hours was too long a time.

... the weird thing about this is it took 4 hours for the husband to go to authorities and let them know she was missing...

I don't find this weird. My husband and I have been apart on a ship for much longer than 4 hours...each doing our own thing. Also, if there was some kind of argument, I'd give my DH 4 hours to cool off, or it could take me 4 hours to cool off. I just don't think 4 hours was too long a time.

I agree with you, KenMo, it can take a while to realize someone is actually missing. Especially if you've made plans to do separate things or if you've had some sort of argument or disagreement and are taking time to calm down.

I'd give my DH 4 hours to cool off, or it could take me 4 hours to cool off. I just don't think 4 hours was too long a time.

Sounds like a good poll question.

How long does it take you or your SO to cool off?

:confused: The difference is if someone is unstable and on meds and runs off, shouldn't you go looking for them, and not wait 4 hrs.?? I was on the boat and the family said they weren't surprised she jumped. I would hope my family would come looking for me...:(

Archived