Elation -- Woman overboard!

TxShipShape

Now I am scared. I am travelling on the Elation next Sunday with my daughter. This is our first cruise. I guess I will keep my 20 year old attached to my hip.I hate to say this, but maybe the husband threw her overboard in the middle of the night.

Now I am scared. I am travelling on the Elation next Sunday with my daughter. This is our first cruise. I guess I will keep my 20 year old attached to my hip.I hate to say this, but maybe the husband threw her overboard in the middle of the night.

That is what I was thinking too, of course I hope that is not what happened. I'll be on the same time as you for my 1st cruise also...now I'm a little nervous too:( . I hope they find her. I'll be staying away from the rails and not drinking too much that is for sure!

Most of the ship is watched with video cameras. They would have pictures. If they say she was up on deck its probably because they have a video of her.

People don't just accidently fall overboard and I don't recall of any that were ruled a homicide. Suicide or Stupid Human Tricks while under the influence seem to be the usual suspects.

Oh people......people......please.....I have a local friend boarding Elation today that has his 10 year old son he lets on his own and with the Camp Carnival Groups on the ship day and night and even by himself and he's a very responsible father (I was with them this time last year on Elation)......It's totally safe.....You have to WANT to go overboard, be thrown, or be drunk trying to walk on the side rail to fall overboard......Please don't let this scare anyone......It's totaly safe.:)

They sure aren't giving much coverage of this at all on national news. Nothing on CNN or FOX except a few words scrolling across the bottom. You would think this would be bigger news than what it is. It seems every time something happens on a cruise ship, the coverage is extremely limited. Do you suppose the news media is trying to protect the cruise lines so they don't lose revenue? They sure don't have a problem overexposing something when it happens to a U.S. citizen on vacation who comes up missing in a foreign country (i.e. Aruba).

Just curious - If someone fell over board, forward of the propellars, wouldn't they be sucked under and chopped up like in a mix master?

Poor Jennifer De La Cruz is soooooooo busy with Carnival spin controll from all these overboards.

They sure aren't giving much coverage of this at all on national news. Nothing on CNN or FOX except a few words scrolling across the bottom. You would think this would be bigger news than what it is. It seems every time something happens on a cruise ship, the coverage is extremely limited. Do you suppose the news media is trying to protect the cruise lines so they don't lose revenue? They sure don't have a problem overexposing something when it happens to a U.S. citizen on vacation who comes up missing in a foreign country (i.e. Aruba).

Some people feel its the opposite, everytime 20 people get norovirus there are tons of reporters covering the story. There are several articles online about this..do a google or Yahoo News search.

Trust me the news media only cares about ratings, they will go after anything or anyone that will get people to watch.

Some people feel its the opposite, everytime 20 people get norovirus there are tons of reporters covering the story. There are several articles online about this..do a google or Yahoo News search.

Trust me the news media only cares about ratings, they will go after anything or anyone that will get people to watch.

It would seem to me that being lost at sea would be a better story then having contacted the nirovirus.:eek: :)

I did a yahoo news search of Carnival Elation. There are exactly 4 items and each and every one of them has the same exact wording when you bring it up. And it doesn't tell you much there.

I did a yahoo news search of Carnival Elation. There are exactly 4 items and each and every one of them has the same exact wording when you bring it up. And it doesn't tell you much there.

They were all AP reports, as passengers get off the ship more info will be forthcoming. In Mexico and other parts of the world the news doesnt always get out as fast, now that the passengers are home you will see something on the news.

I would also expect to see an expose at some point this summer. Something called "Missing on Vacation" on 48hours,20/20,Dateline or 60 mins.

Am I the only one who noticed that the story said that the husband reported her missing at 11 am Friday and she was last seen leaving her cabin on Saturday morning? What's up with that, he reported her missing the day before she was last seen! I smell something fishy!!!

Am I the only one who noticed that the story said that the husband reported her missing at 11 am Friday and she was last seen leaving her cabin on Saturday morning? What's up with that, he reported her missing the day before she was last seen! I smell something fishy!!!

where did you read that? Here is what I see

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/metropolitan/3241194

The woman was reported missing at 11:00 on Friday by her husband as the cruise ship Elation was returning to Galveston, Texas, after a stop in Belize, according to Jennifer de la Cruz, a representative for Carnival Cruise Lines. De la Cruz declined to identify the missing passenger, who was last seen early on Friday morning leaving her cabin, and then on deck.

On the three cruises I have been on, I see no way someone could "accidently" fall over. The railings are quite high and the children's play areas have extra protection around the rails. I can see, however, someone being thrown over, drunk enough to climb over, or a suicide. As sad as this is, it's a rare occurance. But it does happen:o

http://www.khou.com/news/local/galveston/vitindex.html

The Galveston news has an article about it.

That's the same report that is on every link I find under a search. It also says she was reported missing at 11:00 AM on Friday. But that she was last seen Saturday morning. There is probably a typo. And the press probably has to print exactly what was reported by their source word for word.

This is all very strange. I hope it becomes bigger news as I'm totally curious to know more. Those in the Galveston area, please be sure to post what your local news reports as we may never hear about it in other states.

On the three cruises I have been on, I see no way someone could "accidently" fall over. The railings are quite high and the children's play areas have extra protection around the rails. I can see, however, someone being thrown over, drunk enough to climb over, or a suicide. As sad as this is, it's a rare occurance. But it does happen:o

Why someone would go to the trouble to go on a cruise and then commit suicide at the end of it doesn't really make sense. Why not just do the job at home? Unless of course you wanted your demise to be publicized.

But generally, suicides are not reported on the news. Unless it's a public figure, the media does not report suicides as an ethical rule. So the less we hear, the more I wonder if this isn't a stronger possibility.

Accidental just doesn't seem possible if it was in the mid morning hours. And if her husband were going to do it, why do it in the morning hours when you're more likely to be seen? Unless of course, he's the one who reported seeing her on deck in the morning and no one else or any cameras did. And if she in fact, was never on the deck that morning. Strange!

Check out this link someone posted on another site. It definitely does happen a lot. This is the 7th time it has happened since 1/1/05. Wow.

http://www.cruiseserver.net/travelpage/other/man_overboard.asp

Archived