Elation -- Woman overboard!

TxShipShape

Check out this link someone posted on another site. It definitely does happen a lot. This is the 7th time it has happened since 1/1/05. Wow.

http://www.cruiseserver.net/travelpage/other/man_overboard.asp

I still personally don't see 7 in 6 months as a very large occurence, considering the millions that cruise every year. 7 people in 6 months represents about .0005% of cruisers (actually probably even less)... If those same people stayed on land, the odds of something bad happening are probably even greater... Sure, 7 seems like a great number, but when you put it in the grand scheme of things, it is really quite small...

I still personally don't see 7 in 6 months as a very large occurence, considering the millions that cruise every year. 7 people in 6 months represents about .0005% of cruisers (actually probably even less)... If those same people stayed on land, the odds of something bad happening are probably even greater... Sure, 7 seems like a great number, but when you put it in the grand scheme of things, it is really quite small...

I get your point of it not being a large number in the whole scheme of things. But my point is that it's happened all these times and this is the first one I've heard about this year. So this is not highly publicized. What I wonder is, are these people committing suicide (Did you see the two older people on that list on the Destiny missing 2 days apart, a couple?), are they all drunk and falling off, or are the people out there committing the perfect murder and getting by with it. If even one of them was suspected to be a homocide, I'm certain it would have been in the news. And I watch CNN & Fox News on cable as well including shows such as Nancy Grace, Geraldo Rivera, Greta Vansusteran, etc. all the time. They likely would have reported it and I would have seen something.

I get your point of it not being a large number in the whole scheme of things. But my point is that it's happened all these times and this is the first one I've heard about this year. So this is not highly publicized. What I wonder is, are these people committing suicide (Did you see the two older people on that list on the Destiny missing 2 days apart, a couple?), are they all drunk and falling off, or are the people out there committing the perfect murder and getting by with it. If even one of them was suspected to be a homocide, I'm certain it would have been in the news. And I watch CNN & Fox News on cable as well including shows such as Nancy Grace, Geraldo Rivera, Greta Vansusteran, etc. all the time. They likely would have reported it and I would have seen something.

The two older people were reported missing on these boards as well when it happened..

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=178700&highlight=overboard

Not sure missing passenger information is required to be released to the public. Carnival happens to report it, but it is certainly not limited to their ships.

Ships are required to report Norovirus when it affects 2% or more of the passengers.

Suicide isn't a rational act to begin with.

No sure it makes a huge difference in areas like this, but Carnival ships have azipod propulsion, not normal propellers.

but Carnival ships have azipod propulsion, not normal propellers.

They still have screws

Podded drives are currently finding growing success in the marine industry

from

http://www.marinelog.com/DOCS/PRINT/mmipods.html

Azipod® Propulsion Concept

from

http://www.abb.com/global/abbzh/abbzh251.nsf?OpenDatabase&db=/global/seitp/seitp161.nsf&v=17E96&e=us&m=100A&c=F43763D58B083AF1C2256AD900372280

They still have screws

Podded drives are currently finding growing success in the marine industry

from

http://www.marinelog.com/DOCS/PRINT/mmipods.html

Azipod® Propulsion Concept

from

http://www.abb.com/global/abbzh/abbzh251.nsf?OpenDatabase&db=/global/seitp/seitp161.nsf&v=17E96&e=us&m=100A&c=F43763D58B083AF1C2256AD900372280

Yes, but no need for a rudder, so they aren't limited to the same location. Of course if you hit the cattle catcher, it would ruin your day anywho.

Check out this link someone posted on another site. It definitely does happen a lot. This is the 7th time it has happened since 1/1/05. Wow.

http://www.cruiseserver.net/travelpage/other/man_overboard.asp

Yes, it is the 7th time this year but considering the hundreds of cruises each year and the thousands of people on board each one, this is a RARE occurance. It does not happen on every cruise. If it did, I might think of it more as common.

Just like this one, all of the others have been reported on these boards (generally there are about 4 million threads started about each one... just like this one ;) )

That's why I felt the first post of this thread had to have some truth in it....that's how we always find out about things as such. Then it takes the media awhile to find out. It's happened like that more than once!:p

Yes, its hard for the media to get wind of a story like this because they cant board the ship and have to wait on authorities or the cruiseline to issue a statement.

The best source of info are the passengers onboard sending email to folks and informing them whats going on.

That leaves more questions then answers she not the victim of foul play and it wasnt an accidental fall...:(

No questions..she jumped. The FBI just didnt want to say she committed suicide out of respect for the family.

We had agents on the ship and concluded there was no foul play involved," said Agent Luz Garcia, a spokeswoman for the FBI. "I can't really go into detail out of respect for the family but our feeling that it was not an accident."

My prayers and heart goes out to her husband and two teenage children. This must be VERY difficult for them: to leave on a family vacation and come home without mom. How sad!!

Yes, its truly sad. Something they will live with for the rest of their lives.

Archived