Elation -- Woman overboard!

TxShipShape

It seems to leave suicide and abduction by Martians.

Alien Abduction- This is one of the most unbelievable areas of the alien and ufo phenomenon

from

http://www.bright.net/~phobia/topics.htm

My Favorite Martians

from

http://www.techgnosis.com/martians.html

A sarcastic Martian comes to live with a hapless young Terran on Earth

from

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0056775/

How sad! Can you imagine how her family must feel to have her commit suicide on a famliy vacation?

It's sad that she did that. Her poor children. It's bad enough to hurt them by doing that to yourself. But to hurt them in this way is even worse. Kids are supposed to have special memories of a family vacation. She should have waited until the vacation was over and left them with the memory of their last family vacation together. Instead, they're going to associate vacation with the death of their mother for the rest of their lives.

Obviously, she wasn't rational or she wouldn't have done it in the first place. And for statements from the family to have lead them to believe that it wasn't an accident or foul play, then it probably wouldn't have been a memorable vacation in the first place. Sad, sad, sad!

Here is the thread on the tragic disappearence of Annette Mizener

from

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=108618&highlight=gma

I just read all these posts about the woman who disappeared in December, Annette Mizener. This is scary because it appears that this was very likely foul play. I've stood by the railings at night looking down and seeing how someone would fall straight into the ocean if they went overboard. And I thought about how easy it would be for someone to force them overboard if they were able to overpower them.

I'm not morbid. I just have 4 kids. I've cruised with them before and the teenagers who were 13 at the time had free roam of the ship, met a lot of different people and were mingling pretty late at times. We're planning another family cruise for all 6 of us next year and my kids will be 17 (twin girls), 12 & 10 at the time. They will all be old enough to roam around on their own if we choose to let them. But this kind of gives me a feeling of discomfort about this. They'll hate being restricted from this as most kids are not. But how much fun is it going on the cruise with kids knowing this possiblity exists. Does anyone know of any children (or teens) who ever went overboard? Maybe if they haven't, I'll feel better.

Hoping that the woman is alive and well and in a corner drunk and passed out or something:confused: Is is easy to FALL off a cruise ship? I'm getting nervous, sailing on the Elation in a week and really don't want to go overboard:o ?

Dont drink and wander on decks close to railings...If you have a balcony, dont get too playful!! It is not easy to fall off, it takes planning or craziness...especially from the older ships.

it makes me think of the one missing off of one of the Carnival ships and they said the camera in that area had been broken...I read in online - a new report.

All I know is that I told my husband that he and I were not to be alone on the ship (not even for one moment) better safe than sorry...I mean when we are out of our cabin...Ofcourse we will have power room time alone...don't want to share that time with him - or him with me.

Very scarey.

Dont drink and wander on decks close to railings...If you have a balcony, dont get too playful!! It is not easy to fall off, it takes planning or craziness...especially from the older ships.

Yeah, it takes planning....it takes imho someone lifting a person over the darn things. I think they should beef us security on these ships.

I'm still going, but plan on not being alone on the cruise...if someone is at fowl play, they would have to push 2 of us off...now I think that would be more difficult.

When we were on the Celebration in 2003, I was walking around at the back of the ship and I saw a person (it looked like a teen) that had climb up on the rail and was leaning over...it looked like she was drunk, but nothing happened!

There were 2 other people with her that were just laughing!!

Yeah, it takes planning....it takes imho someone lifting a person over the darn things. I think they should beef us security on these ships.

I'm still going, but plan on not being alone on the cruise...if someone is at fowl play, they would have to push 2 of us off...now I think that would be more difficult.

99% of them seem to have jumped. Not sure how any cruiseline can be everywhere guarding every inch of the railings.

But to hurt them in this way is even worse. Kids are supposed to have special memories of a family vacation. She should have waited until the vacation was over and left them with the memory of their last family vacation together. Instead, they're going to associate vacation with the death of their mother for the rest of their lives.

Obviously, she wasn't rational or she wouldn't have done it in the first place. And for statements from the family to have lead them to believe that it wasn't an accident or foul play, then it probably wouldn't have been a memorable vacation in the first place. Sad, sad, sad!

Maybe something happened between her and her husband on the cruise. Maybe it wasn't planned by her, but they got into a fight, or perhaps he told her, or she found out, that he was having an affair, or he was leaving her, or they were fighting over money, or maybe they were just going to divorce. Lots of things might have come to a head on the cruise. It might have just been a moment of emotional devastation to her for which she didn't want to deal with. It's very sad indeed, no matter what precipitated it.

Maybe something happened between her and her husband on the cruise.

Yes, there was definitely something that caused them to believe that it was not foul play or an accident. And the report said statements from the husband and from other passengers led them to this conclusion. So evidently, the husband told them something that had caused him to believe it was suicide. And evidently other passengers either seen her doing something suspicious before she did it. Or they overheard her saying something to her husband if there was an altercation or something. Whatever it was, sounds like they're certain this one was a suicide.

But to hurt them in this way is even worse. Kids are supposed to have special memories of a family vacation. She should have waited until the vacation was over and left them with the memory of their last family vacation together. Instead, they're going to associate vacation with the death of their mother for the rest of their lives.

Speculation can lead to false assumptions. If this woman did commit suicide, perhaps she had a pre-existing condition, some sort of mental illness that might have perpetuated her jumping. Suicide is not always " a selfish act". Sometimes something is medically wrong with the person, and they cannot always control his/her actions. And perhaps her husband and children were able to fill in the authorities with health information that would bring them to the suicide conclusion. :(

Well, just got off the Elation...

HAD a great time despite the poor overboard lady. It was definately a shock when they announced that we were turning around for a lady that had gone overboard. I think the Carnival staff handled it very well.

I don't really have much to report but that I think the general consensus is that she jumped. I also heard rumors on the boat (just rumors- I don't have anything to back it up) that she and her husband were having issues...

Whatever the reason, it's very sad for her and her family.

Speculation can lead to false assumptions. If this woman did commit suicide, perhaps she had a pre-existing condition, some sort of mental illness that might have perpetuated her jumping. Suicide is not always " a selfish act". Sometimes something is medically wrong with the person, and they cannot always control his/her actions. And perhaps her husband and children were able to fill in the authorities with health information that would bring them to the suicide conclusion. :(

Obviously she did have some serious issues or she wouldn't have done it. But she had been a mother for a lot of years and she managed to not commit suicide every day of all those years. I just wish for the kids sake that she would have been able to exercise the same willpower to live for a few more hours until their vacation was over. I just feel so bad for that family. They have to be hurting so much right now and their lifes path will never be the same from this point on. It's tragic.

Obviously she did have some serious issues or she wouldn't have done it. But she had been a mother for a lot of years and she managed to not commit suicide every day of all those years. I just wish for the kids sake that she would have been able to exercise the same willpower to live for a few more hours until their vacation was over. I just feel so bad for that family. They have to be hurting so much right now and their lifes path will never be the same from this point on. It's tragic.
'

You are asking an irrational person to make a rational decision reguarding suicide. Sorry, its just doesnt work that way. As was mentioned its specualtion as to what caused her to jump, if she waited 2 more hours/days/weeks/months, the family would still have been devastated. How do we know if she didnt attempt suicide a week before the cruise or several times in the past?? Its just know way of knowing what was going on inside that family. As the FBI said, out of respect for the family going into details isnt needed. The lost of a Mother and Wife is tragic on land or sea.

We just got off the Elation as well. I don't want to spread a lot of rumors, but other members of our party spoke with this family as they searched for their mother and after. It was related to me that she suffered from mental illness and there was a medication change that may have caused her to be unstable. There was also a fight that occured that morning and she left the cabin at 6:45.

It was pretty hard to enjoy the cruise for the last couple of days because even if you could stop thinking about this poor family it was clearly a topic of discussion for the whole ship and you would be reminded of it all over again. The captain was clearly distressed when he spoke to the ship and I felt awful for the family.

For those who are worried about safety, you can't go overboard unless you are being very careless (climbing the rails or on tables) or trying to. It would be possible for someone to throw you, but that would be difficult and take considerable strength considering the height of the rails. Not many people could heft a hundred pounds and throw it over 4-5 feet of railing, especially if there was any kind of struggle. I am not saying it can't happen, but it isn't likely. Don't let fears of these kinds of things ruin your trip. Keep an eye on your family and have everyone check in regularly though.

Agreed! And thank you for posting.

We will probably never know the whole story here, however that does not mean we can speculate!

###

Not that it's a bad thing, but you are speculating too.

The reason for my post was not really to speculate, even though that's how it might have seemed. I just wanted to submit that there might have been other reasons, besides her being selfish or irrational as eluded to in this post;

It's sad that she did that. Her poor children. It's bad enough to hurt them by doing that to yourself. But to hurt them in this way is even worse. Kids are supposed to have special memories of a family vacation. She should have waited until the vacation was over and left them with the memory of their last family vacation together. Instead, they're going to associate vacation with the death of their mother for the rest of their lives.

I just thought this post came across as a title too cut and dried to me. Committing suicide is an irrational act, but sometimes it happens suddenly, with no history of it. Which was really the point of my post.

One of my friends left her husband a few years ago, because he had been cheating on her for many years,(21) and up to this point, he seemed very mentally stable, no history of anything. A few days after she told him to move out, she went to the gym, came home an hour later, the alarm to the house was set, which she thought was weird, but the kids were small, and they were there with him.

She asked the kids where daddy was, they said he was sleeping. She opened the door to the bedroom, and there he was, many beer bottles lined up, and a pill bottle next to the bed. He was OUT, and had left a note for her. She took the kids next door, before they even knew what was going on, and her neighbor was a paramedic, so he came over, they called an ambulance took him out of the house and to the hospital. He survived, but my point is, there was nothing in his background that would have ever led my friend to think he would try something like this. The kids later said that he was crying in the shower right before he did this.(although, this was never fully explained to the kids. Just that daddy was sick)

BUT, I have to say, he has been totally whacked since he did this. Off the deep end for at least a year now. So, at some point, he may try it again, and be successful.

Anyway, I don't think I was able to articulate very well what I meant with my post, but I just didn't think it was fair to assume that she was irrational or selfish. Lots of things might have caused this, and it could have been a snap decision. That's all I was trying to say.

Of course it's possible she could have had a history too. Topics like this are hard to comment on without some sort of speculation, which I think helps all of us to deal mentally with stories like this that we find tragic. I think it's a natural reaction.

Bottom line, we will never know. It's just a tragedy.

All it takes is irrational thinking when the though of suicide hits, and that's onee bad combo.

I have had two suicides occur around me, and both in the same week (one co worker, one first cousin)!

I still scratch my head 8 years later, and realize, I'll never know what was going through their minds.

I truly hope guilt doesn't set in on the the person that suggested this cruise.

Wow, there IS a lot of speculation going on around here... None of us know what happened, and we likely never will. It's very tragic indeed. I'm sure this woman, regardless of what happened, loved her family very much. My best friend committed suicide when I was 16... one day he was happy (so it seemed to those that loved him) and the next day he was gone. Many times there are NO warning signs... and he loved his family and friends dearly, and would never have wanted to cause them pain... the pain he felt had to be incredible to make him do what he did... and that thought will be with me forever. For those of us that have never felt that, we will never know how bad it is, or what causes one to do these things... if she did indeed commit suicide, she had to be so emotionally troubled that she felt this was the only way out... that is very sad indeed. My prayers go out to her family...

Originally Posted by debihen

Not that it's a bad thing, but you are speculating too.

Not speculating at all, just offering another angle. I have no idea what happened to this poor woman, nor do I care to even guess. Just wanted to point out that suicide is often judged as "Selfish" (OH, how could they DO this to their family, etc). I myself believe that there are many contributing factors to suicide and selfish intent is usually not the motive. People are not themselves, they have illnesses, there are many complex, intricate factors that lead to suicide.

Archived