WOW ! Up To 400 People Remove Gratuities

Not everything is black and white (except it seems so on internet message boards).

I haven't ever gotten "bad" service on a ship. I wasn't making the case of auto-tipping = "bad" service.

But, "IF" tips are always prepaid and if they are pooled..... basic human nature states that it will effect the behavior (ie service) if the incentives for individual excellence is watered down or taken away.

I get your point but I disagree. Bad service will result in complaints which could affect job security. Also, we've cruised on all inclusive lines and the service has been just as exceptional as RCCL. I'm not saying it couldn't happen but I don't think that's an assumption that can be made.

It’s kind of ironic that the folks who think they will get bad service if they allow auto tipping because there is \no incentive\ essentially not trusting the implied agreement between them and their server think the servers should just trust that everyone that has auto tips removed will have an envelope full of cash to reward their hard work when the server has been stiffed many times before.

See you are making both sides of the argument. If there are "lists" circulating (as someone suggested) among the crew of the people removed the tips....... are they "trusting"....

My intention was to make a broader point of tipping in general not specific to a ship. Like others have stated- it has become basically a "fee" when it is added automatically to the bill and prepaid.

And...how do you know the servers have been "stiffed" many times? For everytime they are "stiffed" I bet there are as many cases where someone was much more generous than the average.

I believe most people are fair when it comes to tips.

Edited by KevinKruzer

I get your point but I disagree. Bad service will result in complaints which could affect job security. Also, we've cruised on all inclusive lines and the service has been just as exceptional as RCCL. I'm not saying it couldn't happen but I don't think that's an assumption that can be made.

Again... I never said it would lead to "bad" service. Of course they want to keep their job.

But, IF (and I don't know if tips are pooled as some suggest) the tips are pooled.... why give A+ service when the average server give B+ and no one complains.

LOL I hope that makes sense. I am not the best writer in the world.

If "everyone" makes the same..... incentives to be BETTER are gone. That doesn't mean anyone, let alone everyone, will be "bad".

Again... I never said it would lead to "bad" service. Of course they want to keep their job.

But, IF (and I don't know if tips are pooled as some suggest) the tips are pooled.... why give A+ service when the average server give B+ and no one complains.

If "everyone" makes the same..... incentives to be BETTER are gone. That doesn't mean anyone, let alone everyone, will be "bad".

Ok, it seems like the issue is really the "pooling" of tips. I agree that would eliminate the incentive for exceptional service. Just like the example of the teacher giving everyone in the class a C, just to be "fair". Those with earned As and Bs would be frustrated, while those that earned Ds and Fs would be elated.

I don't think you're "not the best writer in the world".

Your posts have been very well written and clear.

Thanks and keep on posting :-)

Thanks for the kind words.

That's a beauty you have on your avatar. ;)

Thanks - I've got 3 Bernese Mountain Dogs and he is my beautiful boy called 'Toby'

(Sorry to hi-jack the thread with this post . . . . )

Edit - (Lol - I've just noticed that its my thread anyway )

Edited by ticktoneer

I totally agree with this.

It’s kind of ironic that the folks who think they will get bad service if they allow auto tipping because there is \no incentive\ essentially not trusting the implied agreement between them and their server think the servers should just trust that everyone that has auto tips removed will have an envelope full of cash to reward their hard work when the server has been stiffed many times before.

She WILL be amazed. You are going to have such a great cruise.

:-)

We are on adventure in 19 days ( not counting or anything )

Have a swell time . A step up from Thomson especially for kids

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I didn't read this entire thread and sorry if this was already mentioned, but I know wait staff/housekeeping staff strive to get that excellent rating on the end of cruise surveys we fill out. I know because we're constantly reminded to check "excellent". A WOW card with their names is highly coveted. RCI reads these carefully since they indicate specific performance levels. I seriously doubt that service would drop if tips were auto added for everyone without being able to remove them.

on some threads, people think crew are only paid $50 a month.

who thinks that is correct?

The people who believe that also believe the crew work 10 month contacts and 18/20 hours a day ! It just not true

See you are making both sides of the argument. If there are "lists" circulating (as someone suggested) among the crew of the people removed the tips....... are they "trusting"....

My intention was to make a broader point of tipping in general not specific to a ship. Like others have stated- it has become basically a "fee" when it is added automatically to the bill and prepaid.

And...how do you know the servers have been "stiffed" many times? For everytime they are "stiffed" I bet there are as many cases where someone was much more generous than the average.

I believe most people are fair when it comes to tips.

1) it has nothing to do with trust. when people remove tips supervisors want to know why. for example, lets say room stweward has 4 cabins remove tips. the head steward will want to make sure the steward is doing his job the way he should. also, wouldn't you want to know who removed tips and possibly ask them if there is a problem with service?

2)yes it is basically a service charge. NCL calls it a service charge, rcl calls it tips. but its basically the same thing.

3) i read cc :eek:

I asked a question,

Who thinks that is correct?

Their salary is $50 a month but they are guaranteed to get a certain amount from the pool. So they make more than $50. It is like servers in the US, servers are paid $2.13 an hour, but they are guaranteed the minimum wage. So if the tips don't reach that, then the restaurant has to make it up. Of course a server who did not collect enough tips to reach minimum wage wont last long their on he job. I don't know what the ships crew are guaranteed.

Their salary is $50 a month but they are guaranteed to get a certain amount from the pool. So they make more than $50. It is like servers in the US, servers are paid $2.13 an hour, but they are guaranteed the minimum wage. So if the tips don't reach that, then the restaurant has to make it up. Of course a server who did not collect enough tips to reach minimum wage wont last long their on he job. I don't know what the ships crew are guaranteed.

what a load of rubbish,

what a load of rubbish,

OH yes IT IS ALL RUBBISH!

I wish people would MIND THEIR OWN wages.......

IT is absolutely none of my business what the server earns. NOne what so ever! And what I choose to tip is my business and the business of the server.

By the way I do choose to follow the culture and guidelines on tipping.

Tipping is still discretionary. And until it comes a time when it is not...........mind your own business.

Thank you for your consideration:)

Do you have first hand knowledge of this information?