Soda from bar pipe

ZOO

Can anyone tell me if Soda from the bar using same tap water as tap water in the room?

I mean if the tap water at the ship not safe in case, pipe soda will also not safe?

Can anyone tell me if Soda from the bar using same tap water as tap water in the room?

I mean if the tap water at the ship not safe in case, pipe soda will also not safe?

Yes, the soda is made with ships water. The ships tap water is safe, not sure where you are seeing it is not safe.

Tap water from the ship is perfectly safe. Thousands and thousands of people drink it every day and live to tell about it. Can't particularly say regarding the carbonated water at the bars but would assume it's from the same source. Where do you think the ice, coffee, lemonade, etc. comes from?

Yes, the soda is made with ships water. The ships tap water is safe, not sure where you are seeing it is not safe.

I am reading in 2011 Noro outbreak in Radiance, people complains tap water is not safe.

So if buy CAN soda will be a different case ? Not sure if available on the ship.

Cans of soda are available on the ship, and cost $2.59 per can, including gratuity. Cans are not part of the soda package and can only be purchased individually.

I am reading in 2011 Noro outbreak in Radiance, people complains tap water is not safe.

2011? If the ships water has been contaminated for more than 2 years, the ship would have been stopped from sailing by the CDC. The ships water is tested constantly, the cruiseline would be out of business is they were trying to sail ships with contaminated water.

2011? If the ships water has been contaminated for more than 2 years, the ship would have been stopped from sailing by the CDC. The ships water is tested constantly, the cruiseline would be out of business is they were trying to sail ships with contaminated water.

Sorry Radiance had another outbreak two weeks ago.

Yes, and they have taken steps to clean the ship. The cruiseline can not control what germs people bring onto the ships. They can only sanitize the ships and hope people will have the common sense to stay home if they are sick.

What qualifications do the people who are claiming the water is not safe have? Noro is not commonly transmitted via water. As PP stated, CDC through the USPH service monitor water quality onboard, and the water quality is generally better than most municipalities.

Yes, the bar sodas use the ship's water, chill it and add carbonation.

I really cannot think of an instance where the water onboard a cruise ship was deemed to be "unsafe" by a qualified entity. In addition to continual chlorination of the water, the ship is required to submit random samples, from various locations around the ship, for quality testing. Water samples must be refrigerated until testing, and generally are considered worthless if tested more than 48 hours after sampling.

What qualifications do the people who are claiming the water is not safe have? Noro is not commonly transmitted via water. As PP stated, CDC through the USPH service monitor water quality onboard, and the water quality is generally better than most municipalities.

Yes, the bar sodas use the ship's water, chill it and add carbonation.

I really cannot think of an instance where the water onboard a cruise ship was deemed to be "unsafe" by a qualified entity. In addition to continual chlorination of the water, the ship is required to submit random samples, from various locations around the ship, for quality testing. Water samples must be refrigerated until testing, and generally are considered worthless if tested more than 48 hours after sampling.

Nothing is 100%. There is evidence that 2011 outbreak on Radiance are caused by ship water. I just want to pay extra caution. And it is really my business.

While it's highly unlikely that a Noro outbreak was caused by contamination of the potable water system, you should probably stick to the canned soda, just to ease your own mind. But be diligent about washing your hands, particularly after using the restroom and before dining, as that is the best way to prevent Noro virus.

Yes, the ship has soda by the can for $2.59 per can including gratuity. Soda by the can is not covered by the soda card, it is sold on a by can basis.

I didn't recall where I can buy CAN soda last time that I was on RCCL. I had soda card may be not realized.

Based on your previous posts concerning noro, and this thread, I would suggest you go to the CDC website, search for VSP (vessel sanitation program), and download the construction and operation manuals. These will be pretty boring to a non-technical person, but should show the levels of control that cruise ships and their crews need to go through to keep cruise ships sanitary.

The VSP has resulted in food-borne illnesses (e-coli, salmonella) being nearly eliminated from cruise ships. Respiratory illnesses like legionella and noro, being opportunistic diseases, have moved into the closed environment vacated by the food-borne illnesses. These illnesses are more difficult to control, since they depend on the personal hygiene of the passengers/crew, and not just food control by the ship's crew. Ships still do a very good job of preventing, controlling, and mitigating noro.

I didn't recall where I can buy CAN soda last time that I was on RCCL. I had soda card may be not realized.

The card only applies to fountain soda, so don't waste your money buying a soda card this time, if you want to stick to cans. Just pay as you go and request a can. They may not have canned soda at every spot on the ship, but it is definitely available.

Nothing is 100%. There is evidence that 2011 outbreak on Radiance are caused by ship water. I just want to pay extra caution. And it is really my business.

I agree that nothing is 100%, and I also agree that worrying about the safety of the water supply is your business. However, in my professional opinion, having been a ship's officer for 37 years, worked 4 years as senior engineer on cruise ships, and have been trained by the USPH (CDC), I feel it is my business to inform OTHERS who read this thread (it's not yours exclusively) about the safety of the water supply, and cruising in general.

Again, out of professional curiosity, I ask for a factual basis that an outbreak, whether on Radiance or other ship, was caused by contaminated water.

Based on your previous posts concerning noro, and this thread, I would suggest you go to the CDC website, search for VSP (vessel sanitation program), and download the construction and operation manuals. These will be pretty boring to a non-technical person, but should show the levels of control that cruise ships and their crews need to go through to keep cruise ships sanitary.

The VSP has resulted in food-borne illnesses (e-coli, salmonella) being nearly eliminated from cruise ships. Respiratory illnesses like legionella and noro, being opportunistic diseases, have moved into the closed environment vacated by the food-borne illnesses. These illnesses are more difficult to control, since they depend on the personal hygiene of the passengers/crew, and not just food control by the ship's crew. Ships still do a very good job of preventing, controlling, and mitigating noro.

May be I am living China for too long. I believe none of the documented procedures. I only care the result. The result is Radiance had large outbreak in 2011. And even after major renovation is done in 2012, it still has Noro outbreaks.

And as I've stated in your previous thread re: noro, noro is transmitted via direct contact between infected people, hard surfaces, and uninfected persons. I do not know of a case of transmission of noro via a chlorinated water supply. This is why the ship is fogged with chlorine disinfectant in public areas, and cabins are fogged and wiped down with chlorinated disinfectants. CDC clearly states that the main block to noro transmission is hand washing.

The CDC even requires "ready to eat" food like fruit, salad, etc, to be disinfected in a chlorine solution before it is placed in the buffet line or used in the galley.

May be I am living China for too long. I believe none of the documented procedures. I only care the result. The result is Radiance had large outbreak in 2011. And even after major renovation is done in 2012, it still has Noro outbreaks.

"Large" outbreak is relative. They reported about 150 cases, which was a little over 6% of the passengers. If the ship's water system had been contaminated, I would expect the percentage of passengers sick to have been much higher than that.

"Large" outbreak is relative. They reported about 150 cases, which was a little over 6% of the passengers. If the ship's water system had been contaminated, I would expect the percentage of passengers sick to have been much higher than that.

I just think not everyone drink tap water. May be not the case?

ZOO.. if, no matter the evidence presented, you are going to believe that the noro virus lurks in the ship's water...then why ask for information regarding the ship's water. Seems your effort is not to gain information, but merely to express your opinion that no matter what, you will be confronted with the noro virus via the ship's water.

I just think not everyone drink tap water. May be not the case?

Virtually every passenger is exposed to tap water in some way, if they drink almost anything on the ship other than canned soda without ice or bottled beer. Another stat about that outbreak is that less than 1% of the staff reported illness, and I guarantee they are not just drinking beers and canned sodas.

It's just not logical that it was caused by the ship's water. But as I said, it may put your mind more at ease to avoid the water, and if so, you should do that.

Archived