Newfoundland Time Zone

I've discovered that Newfoundland time is 1 1/2 hours later than the Eastern time zone. I've been concerned about arranging a tour on my own with this time difference. Our ship leaves Quebec City (Eastern) and then travels to PEI (Atlantic) before getting to Corner Brook.

I have called RCCL and they couldn't answer the question as to what time it will be on the ship when we dock. I then wrote to them, and received a lovely letter telling me that I should check my Cruise Compass each night to find out whether we are changing time.

I'm not sure if we should do something through the ship to be on the safe side. Ship docks at 12 noon and sails at 9 pm.

Any suggestions from past experience??

Vicki

Interesting that RCL couldn't or wouldn't tell you what their ship does with the time up there.

I would Guess that the ship would change to Atlantic time for sure the night before your PEI stop and may over look the 1/2 hour change for the next port in NFLD. but you never know until they put it in the paper the night before.

Most private outfits know about the ship's clock business and it should not be a problem if you both agree your tour starts an hour(s) after the ship docks (giving you time to get off) and by then you will know for sure when you have to be back and by who's clock.

Forgive me if I don't understand the issue. Ships always set their time to the local time (it's just a question of when do they make the official change on board).

You indicate the ship will dock at noon which means it will be noon Newfoundland time. Book your tours according to that time. My guess is the ship will change to Newfoundland time the previous evening so that when you wake up that morning the ship will already be on Newfoundland time. The time change between PEI and Newfoundland is only 30 minutes.

Forgive me if I don't understand the issue. Ships always set their time to the local time (it's just a question of when do they make the official change on board).

I don't see the op's problem being major either but she asked.

and

FYI your statement above is not factual in my personal experience.

Ships always set their time to the local time

No they don't.

On our Mexican Riviera cruise, ship's time was set to Mountain. We did not change when we were in Puerto Vallarta, which is Central time.

I would actually be surprised if they bothered to change to Nfld time, as the difference is only 1/2 hour, especially if it's the only Nfld port they visit.

Thanks for your replies. The half hour difference is important in terms of connecting with a tour that is not run through the ship.

I have also experienced cruises where we did not set ourselves to port time in every port. I'm sorry if the question offended anyone.

Vicki

I understand your concern. Contact the tour operator and tell them you are not sure what time the ship will be operating on. They will make sure to pick you up when they can and return you on time. They are probably used to this and will know the various cruise line's past practices with regard to time.

I understand your concern. Contact the tour operator and tell them you are not sure what time the ship will be operating on. They will make sure to pick you up when they can and return you on time. They are probably used to this and will know the various cruise line's past practices with regard to time.

Thanks. Will do that.

Vicki

I'm sorry if the question offended anyone.

Vicki

Sorry if you thought your question offended anyone. It certainly didn't offend me as questions of all types are what these forums are for. When I read your question I really didn't understand it because every cruise I've been on the ship has operated on local time (including 6 RCCL cruises). Apparently that doesn't always happen, hence the confusion.

I looked up the port of Corner Brook website (link attached) and it clearly shows your ship in port from Noon to 9:00 PM Local time.

Enjoy your cruise and your visit to "The Rock" (a Canadian Nic Name for Newfoundland).

http://www.cornerbrookport.com/schedule.html

Also just wanted to say that it is up to the Captain about changing time. Always listen to him. We have been on cruises where we did change and where we did not change the time. Always stay on ship's time, whatever that may be and regardless of the local time. :)

Archived