Balcony discounts with C+A

All that on line TA's do for me is process by credit card. I pick the cruise, the cabin and reserve my shows. What docs to process? RCCL sends them via email. What else is there?

The only reason I use a TA is to try to get some extra benefits, otherwise the cruse fare is the same as booking direct. For my recent booking, it was completely online, no person. I called the C&A desk to apply my discount. They couldn't, I had to call the TA and get a person on the phone to request the discount from RCCL at which point they canceled my pre-paid gratuities. They said pick one or the other, not both. The balcony discount was higher.

Looks like you should find another TA.

We book with RCI and have the balcony discount applied and get whatever perks we are receiving from the cruise line first.

Then we shop around for a TA.

We find it best to get all the benefits from the cruise line set up in place and documented first before starting any dealings with a TA.

Once you give the booking to a TA, the cruise line will no longer deal with you.

Remember that you have 60 days after you book the cruise to find a TA, plenty of time to look around and compare offers.

When we get the pre-paid gratuities from the TA, they do not remove the balcony discount or any perks that we received from the cruise line.

If they tried to do that, they would not get our business.

Before we let them have our business, we always have them send us a letter first spelling out exactly what their terms are and what perks they are offering us to avoid any confusion or misunderstanding later.

I booked an Allure cruise for Feb. '14 for the first time with a large on-line TA and besides getting $100 OBC from a NCC, I'm getting an add'l $100 OBC, dinner for 2 at a specialty restaurant, a silver photo frame and some other minor perks. Can't beat it. Also, their ad, mentioned pre-paid gratuities, but, couldn't get it because of the D balcony discount.:D

Apparently Celebrity don't do a balcony discount - will have to wait for the next RCCL one we book :)

The closest Celebrity comes to a stateroom discount is the free one category upgrade, but I don't believe it can be used with a balcony.

Apparently Celebrity don't do a balcony discount - will have to wait for the next RCCL one we book :)

Oops! Thought it was on RCCL. Sooo, when are you going to book that Royal cruise and get that discount? ;)

If you wait until you book on board you may end up getting some OBC with the next cruise deal and then just call RCCL when you qualify for the other discounts.

That sounds even better. Only one week to wait until we will be onboard so I will just have to hang on until then!

We are currently Gold but will move up a category on our forthcoming cruise.

We were hoping to book another cruise whilst onboard.

Does anyone know if we will we be able to claim the balcony discount for the next booking or would we have to wait until we got home and then make the booking to get the discount?

We turned platinum on one of our cruises and they would not apply the discount because the current cruise had not yet been credited, however they did tell me to call once the upgraded C&A was applied and they would be happy to give us the discount. I did call after we became platinum and they did apply the discount. All was good. :D

I have seen some threads where people are mentioning the great balcony discounts they get with their C+A status.

Is this if you book just with RCCL? I always use a TA and have never been offered a balcony discount and we are Diamond status so am just wondering if I should book directly with RCCL to get the great discounts I am reading about.

If this has been on many times before - apologies. I have gone back through quite a few pages and can't see anything.

I book with a TA and I get my balcony discount. I even received the balcony discount when I booked as part of a group.

Even if you book through a TA, you can call the C&A desk with your booking number and check if the balcony discount was applied and that your C&A numbers appear on your booking. If not, then you call the TA back and tell them to get with the program.

One of the largest online TAs has lost our future business due to their policy to deny advertised pre-paid gratuities if I apply C&A benefits.

The amount of gratuities is the same if I book a balcony or an inside. The balcony has a much higher cruse fare to deduct the C&A benefit from. So, as far as I'm concerned they can just go and book cheaper inside fares and give away gratuities against those lower fares and lose my balcony and higher business.

Sorry if this is a stupid question. I live in the UK but always book my cruises via a US website and had the discount added for being Diamond C&A

This time I have used another company and they say they don't add the discount

Do you think if I called C&A in the UK they will apply the discount or could this be an issue as I booked in dollars???

Many thanks for any advise

Sorry if this is a stupid question. I live in the UK but always book my cruises via a US website and had the discount added for being Diamond C&A

This time I have used another company and they say they don't add the discount

Do you think if I called C&A in the UK they will apply the discount or could this be an issue as I booked in dollars???

Many thanks for any advise

I doubt if C&A can add the balcony discount when you have booked using a travel agency. Anything that changes the price has to be approved by the travel agent. I suspect you're going to have to work this out with the agent.

The only people that can apply a balcony discount to any booking are those that work at C&A. If booking through a TA, then that TA makes a call to have it applied. If booking on board, the LA will forward your booking and have it applied. If booking direct, your CVP will call and have it applied.

You receive your balcony discount because your TA calls C&A to have it applied.

Yes, my TA does the leg work for me. It is part of her job. However, I receive a balcony discount because I've earned it, not because my TA calls C&A.

Yes, my TA does the leg work for me. It is part of her job. However, I receive a balcony discount because I've earned it, not because my TA calls C&A.

You are correct, you have earned it. My point was that "your" TA does not have the authority to add it to your booking or anyone's booking. It must be applied by C&A.

You are correct, you have earned it. My point was that "your" TA does not have the authority to add it to your booking or anyone's booking. It must be applied by C&A.

Okay. Unlike other perks that people brag about (discounts, gifts, whatnot ...) my perks from my TA don't show up as material things. What I get is great service, and when it is needed, it is worth a lot more than a bottle of wine. :)

But you may not have it applied unless you follow up and confirm it. The TA's are not in a hurry to have their commission reduced. I've even had to call and have them put in our C&A numbers even when I gave them at the time of booking. It's your responsibility to check.

But you may not have it applied unless you follow up and confirm it. The TA's are not in a hurry to have their commission reduced. I've even had to call and have them put in our C&A numbers even when I gave them at the time of booking. It's your responsibility to check.

My TA is well aware that I ask for a copy of the invoice after EVERY transaction. Nonetheless, one call to my TA and she will also take care of any price reductions. Like I said, I don't get the material perks, but I do get great service.

Okay. Unlike other perks that people brag about (discounts, gifts, whatnot ...) my perks from my TA don't show up as material things. What I get is great service, and when it is needed, it is worth a lot more than a bottle of wine. :)

This is for another thread, but is it worth more than 8-9% of your cruise cost in the form of OBC? I've got almost $500 of OBC coming back to us on our upcoming Oasis cruise.

To the OP, I agree with what the others here have said that you have to be proactive about contacting your TA and asking them to apply the balcony discount. Most people who have cruised enough to achieve some sort of status with RCI know about the balcony discount, but I'm sure there are some casual cruisers who miss out because their TAs don't mention anything about it.

Fired up by this discussion, I sent off a polite email to the large online TA that was recently declining us their advertised pre-paid gratuities due to our C&A balcony discount and they agreed to honor their offer.

I simply said as a C&A repeat cruiser, why would I ever use them again? So I appreciate their consideration and response.

What a great thread! We're Platinums and this is the first I've ever heard of the balcony discount! Since you're all so knowledgable, maybe you can talk me through our options.

We're booked on Oasis at the end of September, with less than six months before sailing. Our final payment is due in a week or so.

We have an interior N cabin but I'd be interested in a balcony at the $75 discount. I keep a close eye on fares for an upgrade opportunity. Could we upgrade to a balcony, get the discount and pay the difference in fare, if there is one? Does that change after we make our final payment? If we pay a fare difference and it is lowered later, can we upgrade again or get a refund of the difference?

What a great thread! We're Platinums and this is the first I've ever heard of the balcony discount! Since you're all so knowledgable, maybe you can talk me through our options.

We're booked on Oasis at the end of September, with less than six months before sailing. Our final payment is due in a week or so.

We have an interior N cabin but I'd be interested in a balcony at the $75 discount. I keep a close eye on fares for an upgrade opportunity. Could we upgrade to a balcony, get the discount and pay the difference in fare, if there is one? Yes. Does that change after we make our final payment? You can always upgrade (move to a higher category), even after final payment. See below. If we pay a fare difference and it is lowered later, can we upgrade again Yes, or get a refund of the difference? Yes, if it is before final payment date. No credit or refund of any type after final payment date.

See answers in RED above.

Regarding upgrading after final payment, this depends on if the higher category is restricted to new bookings.

If the higher category is unrestricted, you can upgrade for free if the higher category is priced the same or lower than what you paid. If the higher category is priced more than what you paid, then you can pay the difference and upgrade.

If the higher category is restricted to new bookings, then all bets are off and they may not let you upgrade for free, or even by paying the difference between what you paid and the sale price. Some have reported being able to upgrade to a higher priced category in this situation by paying the difference, but it had to be escalated to the Resolutions department. Others have reported being allowed to upgrade, but only by paying more than the sale price of the higher category.

Call your TA and see what options are available. You may be able to upgrade to a balcony, then apply the balcony discount, then your fare increase may be worthwhile. The lowest cost balconies will typically be the inside ones facing Park Place or the Boardwalk. But, a window beats a wall, a balcony door beats a window.

If the OP's TA didn't know they were Diamond or didn't know there was a balcony discount or did know both and didn't let them know about the balcony discount then maybe it's time for a new TA.

Archived