Carnival Pride leaving Baltimore

madelinerose

The dates in the article say Nov. 2014 to April 2015 so let's hope that it's just seasonal. With Carnival pulling out of Boston & Norfolk and can't see them pulling out of Baltimore permanently..

But stranger things have been known to happen! :)

THANK YOU for posting this link! This was the news story that I meant to link to :eek: ... but somehow I included the link to the other story. This Baltimore Sun article is the more informative article.

It's not because of the EPA, Tampa is also an inland cruise and the ruling effects all US coastal waters.

from Baltimore Sun article:

" ... Baltimore appears destined to lose lucrative cruise business next year, as Florida-based Carnival Cruise Lines announced Thursday that it plans to move its 2,124-passenger ship, the Pride, to Tampa, Fla., in November 2014.

Carnival made no mention of the reason for ending the Pride's weekly sailings from Baltimore, but the company had warned Maryland port officials it would relocate its ship if it couldn't get prompt approval from the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency of its plan for complying with pending air pollution control requirements.

Read more: http://www.baltimoresun.com/features/green/blog/bs-gr-carnival-pride-departing-20130627,0,2053472.story#ixzz2XRqrGESP

That appears to be the reason. Until Carnival makes some sort of official announcement ... all we can do is speculate.

from Baltimore Sun article:

" ... Baltimore appears destined to lose lucrative cruise business next year, as Florida-based Carnival Cruise Lines announced Thursday that it plans to move its 2,124-passenger ship, the Pride, to Tampa, Fla., in November 2014.

Carnival made no mention of the reason for ending the Pride's weekly sailings from Baltimore, but the company had warned Maryland port officials it would relocate its ship if it couldn't get prompt approval from the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency of its plan for complying with pending air pollution control requirements.

Read more: http://www.baltimoresun.com/features/green/blog/bs-gr-carnival-pride-departing-20130627,0,2053472.story#ixzz2XRqrGESP

That appears to be the reason. Until Carnival makes some sort of official announcement ... all we can do is speculate.

The EPA ruling is nation-wide, if that's their reasoning, they'll full of crap because they're still sailing out of Tampa and NO. The real reason is that they don't have enough Spirit ships to go around anymore. Miracle is a Pacific boat now. So they had to pick between Tampa and Baltimore, two ports where the Pride is the biggest ship they can squeeze in. They picked Tampa.

The EPA ruling is nation-wide, if that's their reasoning, they'll full of crap because they're still sailing out of Tampa and NO. The real reason is that they don't have enough Spirit ships to go around anymore. Miracle is a Pacific boat now. So they had to pick between Tampa and Baltimore, two ports where the Pride is the biggest ship they can squeeze in. They picked Tampa.

and you know this HOW?

Royal is having the same issue with EPA only at Baltimore. Carnival corp is working on scrubbers for their smoke stacks. However it looks like it may be a little to late. I still think there is a chance the legend will come back to Baltimore after Australia either way there is still Charleston and my beloved Fantasy or NYC and the great Splendor. Some may have the option I have with cheap ($69) flights with allegiant air to Orlando. So it looks like a "Sunshine" day after all.

I just received this -- looks like she is returning summer of 2015.

Carnival announced today a few changes in our 2014 ship deployments. The Carnival Pride will be back in 2014 through November 2014. She will then relocate for the winter months (Jan-March) to Tampa, FL. She will return back to Baltimore in April 2015. The Carnival Pride will continue its 7 day Bahamas and Grand Turks Itinerary in summer 2014.

Carnival announced today a few changes in our 2014 ship deployments. The Carnival Pride will be back in 2014 through November 2014. She will then relocate for the winter months (Jan-March) to Tampa, FL. She will return back to Baltimore in April 2015. The Carnival Pride will continue its 7 day Bahamas and Grand Turks Itinerary in summer 2014.

Sure hope this is so.

Maryland needs to wake up and build a cruise terminal on the other side of the Bay Bridge. The number of ships that can fit under the Bay and Key Bridges are limited. Open up a terminal on the other side of Bay Bridge and every cruise line could dock here.

Maryland needs to wake up and build a cruise terminal on the other side of the Bay Bridge. The number of ships that can fit under the Bay and Key Bridges are limited. Open up a terminal on the other side of Bay Bridge and every cruise line could dock here.

I believe we call that Norfolk and we've seen how that goes, since no one is flocking there.

Received from who?

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

The news just reported that the Baltimore cruise terminal head is in talks with other "major" cruise lines about coming to Baltimore.

I hope 'someone' comes, so we can have more choices. Fingers crossed.

I don't know about the rest of you ... but it would be nice to get an 'official' announcement from CCL as to why they have decided to pull out of Baltimore ... and if they do indeed have plans to return at some point. An official statement ... posted on their website, for example.

Archived