For the Thomson Team Anti Bacterial or Anti Viral

Hi

For some time now many posters have been saying that Anti Bacterial is not effective against Novo Virus and Anti Viral is.

Would it be possible please to have medical opinion on this from the Medics within the Thomson organisation.

Many Thanks

Clive

Hi

For some time now many posters have been saying that Anti Bacterial is not effective against Novo Virus and Anti Viral is.

Would it be possible please to have medical opinion on this from the Medics within the Thomson organisation.

Many Thanks

Clive

I know from experience that Thomson staff attack you with the anti-bac stuff but that only kills BACTERIA infections (so I have been told by a nurse) I have been advised to get anti-viral foam or wipes, these are made by Boots and I have not been able to find another supplier other than Boots. But Dettrol will do the job, but as its liquid will be difficult to carry if flying.

I know from experience that Thomson staff attack you with the anti-bac stuff but that only kills BACTERIA infections (so I have been told by a nurse) I have been advised to get anti-viral foam or wipes, these are made by Boots and I have not been able to find another supplier other than Boots. But Dettrol will do the job, but as its liquid will be difficult to carry if flying.

anti bacterial will last for up to 2 hrs as nova virus is a virus you are better with the anti viral foam, which lasts for up to 6 hrs - do a google search

if everyone washed their hands with soap and water after the toilet and before and after eating there wouldn't be a big a problem with Nova Virus

Edited by highlandlassie

anti bacterial will last for up to 2 hrs as nova virus is a virus you are better with the anti viral foam, which lasts for up to 6 hrs - do a google search

if everyone washed their hands with soap and water after the toilet and before and after eating there wouldn't be a big a problem with Nova Virus

Hooray - someones listening - I have been saying this for the last month or so since my wife & I got the "gastro-intestinal" bug on a recent cruise which effectively ruined 4 days of our cruise due to cabin confinement.

See this website for the full lowdown.

http://www.hpa.org.uk/Topics/Infecti...skedQuestions/

I will also be wearing this t-shirt on my next cruise. Let's start a crusade.

teeshirt2.jpg

Purell has anti viral hand gel. Fantastic stuff but sales of it tend not to be in the big supermarkets. Last time I bought it was from amazon and I also think it is the maker of the Boots own brand hand foam. Purell has been about for years. do not know why it fell out of favor.

and fyi thoms (trade customers)....ResponseBeta....... broad spectrum biocide sanitizers and hand foams available from kays medical....an exclusively uk manufactured and distributed product (thumbup)

With the best will in the world, no deep clean or any other treatment will eradicate a virus as long as people are not using correct hand washing techniques - it only takes one person to bring it on board and you are back to square one.

In my previous life I was an Infection Control Nurse and it was frightening how many hotels, bars and restaurants had NV and other viral infections present despite the best hygiene techniques being in use on site.

we know about the risk of norovirus....we are cruisers...but many people are not aware of the threat

my dd (works in Macdonald’s) one day she was listening to two customers who were discussing their recent bouts of illness (as you do)

'I had winter vomiting bug for two days and felt terrible' said one 'oh I had it too, it was dreadful' said the other 'but I still went into work'

so there you have it! the casual attitude people in this country have towards this illness, somehow they feel its the right thing to struggle into work, go shopping or eating in restaurants despite still being infectious

whats needed is more awareness, many people are a bit complacent about norovirus (its a mild illness, its unlikely to kill you, its only the winter vomiting bug)

quarantine sounds like such an old fashioned word from the era of typhoid but more quarantine is what is needed, people who have been infected should be made to stay home, people should be taught proper hygiene and infection control, as they try to do in the third world

that person didn’t understand the threat he was harbouring, he had survived into adulthood without dying from diarrhoea or pneumonia, as millions of the world's toddlers still do, he is always safe in his world, so healthy and so safe that he can dismiss the dangers of infecting others as just another case of elf & safety

we in the wealthier world are the main culprits for spreading infection around the world (a bugs only aim is to try to evolve into something not so benign one day) and people should be made more aware of that

we know about the risk of norovirus....we are cruisers...but many people are not aware of the threat

so there you have it! the casual attitude people in this country have towards this illness, somehow they feel its the right thing to struggle into work, go shopping or eating in restaurants despite still being infectious

whats needed is more awareness, many people are a bit complacent about norovirus (its a mild illness, its unlikely to kill you, its only the winter vomiting bug)

quarantine sounds like such an old fashioned word from the era of typhoid but more quarantine is what is needed, people who have been infected should be made to stay home, people should be taught proper hygiene and infection control, as they try to do in the third world

A lot of sense here geo - but it would seem that many CRUISERS still don't understand what needs to be done to safeguard themselves & others. There's not a lot the ships can do to educate them, apart from a big publicity campaign which they seem reluctant to do, presumably because it would draw more attention to a problem that they would rather be kept quiet.

I have carried anti-bac in my handbag for years and use it both at home and on holiday. I have also been known to offer it to others in public loos. Have just found out about the anti-viral and now have that as well.

Just back from Ancient Wonders/Crimean Discovery and visited the loos at the Panorama in Sevastopol. On going to wash my hands I saw the dryer was not working and towels were lacking. So, out came the trusty anti-bac. I offered it to another "lady" who said "oh, you're well organised" then promptly refused my offer and walked out unwashed.:eek:

Edited by skioncruises

Hand pumps staff give you to use are useless kept telling everyone. However I used biotrol only thing that works against norovirus. Still got it though after talking to eejits in medusa lounge who say they were not prepared to use anything despite having D&V. Their ignorance astounds me. I got it 18 hours after being in their company.:mad:

However I used biotrol only thing that works against norovirus.

not strictly true, anti viral foams are not the 'only' defence against norovirus....regular handwashing is just as effective

Still got it though after talking to eejits in medusa lounge who say they were not prepared to use anything despite having D&V. Their ignorance astounds me. I got it 18 hours after being in their company.:mad:

its unfair to proportion blame...you cant possibly know how you might have been infected

some people suffer reactions to hand gels/foams and some people are allergic to anti biotics

I started this thread in order to try and get the view of Thomson medical people. Questions such as does anti bacterial work or if it is only anti viral that works what is the rationale behind still using anti - bacterial. If hand washing is top of the list (and I agree it is) why don't they extend the lifeboat drill a couple of minutes to include anti noro virus measures.

Sadly, even though I wrote in a non combative manner The Thomson team haven't yet got round to answering it.

I will however keep reminding them that this is so important to Thomson cruisers that we really need their experts opinion.

I started this thread in order to try and get the view of Thomson medical people. Questions such as does anti bacterial work or if it is only anti viral that works what is the rationale behind still using anti - bacterial. If hand washing is top of the list (and I agree it is) why don't they extend the lifeboat drill a couple of minutes to include anti noro virus measures.

Sadly, even though I wrote in a non combative manner The Thomson team haven't yet got round to answering it.

I will however keep reminding them that this is so important to Thomson cruisers that we really need their experts opinion.

Hi Clive and Anne,

Sorry it's taken a while to get back to you. We've been looking into this with the relevant team.

They've come back today and advised that the hand sanitizer we use claim a broad spectrum of effectiveness against both viral and bacterial pathogens. The guidance from HPA (or PHE as it now is) is that proper hand washing with soap and water is the best method of hand hygiene. We should always consider the hand sanitizer as an addition to hand washing and not a replacement.

I hope this helps.

Thanks,

Lauren

Hi Lauren

Thank you so much for the reply, You have restored my faith that an important question properly asked will receive a definitive reply.

Could I ask if any discussion took place as regards a two minute talk at the lifeboat drill emphasising the need for scrupulous hand washing as well as the use of sanitizer, when you have a captive audience, was considered.

Many Thanks

Clive

Hi Lauren

Thank you so much for the reply, You have restored my faith that an important question properly asked will receive a definitive reply.

Could I ask if any discussion took place as regards a two minute talk at the lifeboat drill emphasising the need for scrupulous hand washing as well as the use of sanitizer, when you have a captive audience, was considered.

Many Thanks

Clive

I think that's a very good point. They do have an information sheet in the cabin on your arrival about NV but since at drill they include general information on other safety matters such as taking care will high sills, heavy doors, using handrails, supervision of children etc - this would seem to be an excellent opportunity to impress on passengers the collective need to be conscientious and public spirited by taking hygiene very seriously. (Well for those who listen anyway! It annoys me beyond measure to be at drill - and we've been to a few but still listen carefully - to find people being stupid/facetious/downright beligerent/complaining of the inconvenience/trying to be jokers. Have they no imagination? Can't they understand the need for drill and the importance of the information? And then there are those who don't even turn up! Arghhhhhhhhh...:mad: )

It beggars belief that people can be so selfish - but even if they have no care/concern for their fellow passengers you would at least think they would want to take all precautions necassary to prevent themselves becoming ill! Any opportunity to try to get the message home should be taken advantage of as you suggest Clive.

I think we have to remember that the captain/staff captains (who do the safety announcements) are sea captains not health professionals...perhaps a short address from the ships doctor would carry more weight and people may be more inclined to pay attention and follow the advice given

I think we have to remember that the captain/staff captains (who do the safety announcements) are sea captains not health professionals...perhaps a short address from the ships doctor would carry more weight and people may be more inclined to pay attention and follow the advice given

Good point.

On our last P & O cruise, the captain said quite a lot about hand washing and gel use against NV at the lifeboat drill. So it would certainly be good if other cruise lines followed suit. (And there was no outbreak on that cruise)

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Hi Lauren

Many Thanks

Clive

Hi Clive,

It's not something we currently have set in place but we'll pass your feedback on.

Thanks,

Dan.

Just back from the Dream and there was no sign of NV and I saw everyone use the gel. I did take the anti viral foam I got it in boots at buy 1get 2nd half price glad I had it as had to use the loo when of the ship and I wish I didn't some were disgusting :eek:

• 6 months later...

I asked Thomson last year for their medical teams advice last year and this is the reply I received.

Hi Clive and Anne,

Sorry it's taken a while to get back to you. We've been looking into this with the relevant team.

They've come back today and advised that the hand sanitizer we use claim a broad spectrum of effectiveness against both viral and bacterial pathogens. The guidance from HPA (or PHE as it now is) is that proper hand washing with soap and water is the best method of hand hygiene. We should always consider the hand sanitizer as an addition to hand washing and not a replacement.

I hope this helps.

Thanks,

Lauren