need help choosing ship for alaska cruise

sazzifrazz

My husband and I want to fly out to the west coast next July and take our then 8 year old son on his first cruise. We have never been to alaska and are pretty torn about which company to go with.

The following prices are what Im comparing for 3 of us in an ocean view

1) Disney Wonder $4542 (have to travel to vancouver to sail)

2) RCCL Rhapsody $4,034

3) Carnival Miracle $3,397 (or balcony $3,777)

4) NCL Pearl $4,187

Augh....Im so torn!! I wish Disney sailed out of Seattle. The carnival price is intriguing but I don't want to regret cheaping out. However, we could afford a balcony room for less money than an oceanview on any other ship. I had a terrible experience with NCL so Im hesitant to even consider it. We have always had great experiences with RCCL. This is definately a once in a life-time trip so saving $ is not top priority.

Any and all opinions are welcome!!

My husband and I want to fly out to the west coast next July and take our then 8 year old son on his first cruise. We have never been to alaska and are pretty torn about which company to go with.

The following prices are what Im comparing for 3 of us in an ocean view

1) Disney Wonder $4542 (have to travel to vancouver to sail)

2) RCCL Rhapsody $4,034

3) Carnival Miracle $3,397 (or balcony $3,777)

4) NCL Pearl $4,187

Augh....Im so torn!! I wish Disney sailed out of Seattle. The carnival price is intriguing but I don't want to regret cheaping out. However, we could afford a balcony room for less money than an oceanview on any other ship. I had a terrible experience with NCL so Im hesitant to even consider it. We have always had great experiences with RCCL. This is definately a once in a life-time trip so saving $ is not top priority.

Any and all opinions are welcome!!

Have you considered Holland or Princess from Seattle ?:confused:

Holland or princess: I was under the assumption they were smaller and more geared for adults? Am I wrong?

Yes they have an older demographic . We just where on a 14 day Princess Alaska cruise and there where many families with kids on board. Because Alaska is so port intensive , you'll actually spend very little time on board . Both HAL & Princess have good kids programs.

Ditto the recommendation to look at HAL and Princess for Alaska. They generally attract an older demographic, but there will be plenty of kids on a Summer round trip Seattle sailing on either. Our kids have enjoyed the kids clubs on both lines. Both also have covered pools on most of their ships which can be nice for Alaska. Both HAL and Princess have ship in Alaska that are roughly the same size or larger than the ones you have listed.

Alaska is port intensive and much more about the itinerary that the ship. I would find the itinerary you like best and go with that. The Seattle sailings generally aren't as scenic as Vancouver. I would also look for a sailing that does Glacier Bay instead of Tracy Arm.

I want to begin by saying I prefer Alaska cruises out of Vancouver. I have sailed Alaska many times.

I know it is more but I would go with Disney. There will be a point in time where you child will not want to sail Disney and this is such a perfect time.

Glacier Bay is nice but it should not be a deal breaker.

Personally for Alaska and I know some will disagree but I would pass on HAL and yes I am talking about the ages of the passengers when it comes to HAL and Alaska. Again some will disagree but that is my view.

For Alaska I would also take a look at Celebrity and Princess but if you can swing it I would do Disney.

Keith

Keith-I said the exact same thing to my husband this morning...our son is this age once and next time we cruise he probably won't want to have anything to do with Disney. We have looked into doing disney caribbean in the past but it is usually almost double the price of RCCL that we have never been justified to do it. The alaska cruise is only $500 more which is not a big deal. I really think Disney may be the best choice for us at this time. i still plan to continue researching though.

I have to disagree with Keith on this one (sorry Keith ;)). If Alaska is a once in a lifetime trip as you say, I would absolutely put Glacier Bay on the must see list. Anyway, just my recommendation.

I would also highly consider doing a one way itinerary or at least a round trip out of Vancouver. Nothing wrong with the Seattle sailings, but again, if you are only going to do Alaska once...

I am torn on recommending Disney to Alaska. We considered it when they sailed out of Seattle (our hometown), but are so glad we waited and did a Caribbean sailing with them instead. It was by far the best cruise experience we have had with our kids, but so much of it was based on having 85 degree weather and being in the pool and slides all day long. Not going to happen in Alaska. They also don't do their pirate night or fireworks in Alaska.

You might want to take a look at the Alaska board. Lots of reviews right now of people getting back from Alaska trips.

Sazzifrazz, just read your signature and had to laugh (NCL Sky). We actually sailed on that ship to Alaska out of Seattle for our honeymoon. Back then NCL was the only option to Alaska out of Seattle. Cruise was ok, but once was probably enough for us on NCL.

I am not a HAL cheerleader, but you may want to consider HAL. I have been to Alaska three times and consider Glacier Bay to be one of the premiere sites there. I have been on the NCL Sun, NCL Pearl and just recently on the HAL Westerdam.

I also believe you would have a sensational experience on the Pearl. First, I believe it will be going to Glacier Bay and Skagway which would be optimal for anyone. I think you would enjoy Skagway (my favorite port) as you can spend a very long day in port and go on the train up to the Yukon territory and see amazing sites. We have done the train and van (Chilkoot Tours) and then the next time we rented a car and went there ourselves. You experience the old gold rush history in this port.

The HAL Westerdam's advantage is that they have an enclosed pool but it is just a pool and many children who are used to slides and such may not enjoy it as much. The roof is retractable and was open in Seattle and Victoria. Your child may not have that much time to swim anyway while you are in Alaska.

HAL DOES have a reputation catering to older folks but that certainly wasn't true in early June. There were many children and lots of 20's, 30's and 40's and I asked about their children's programs and they loved them. I always ask because I hope to take my grandkids to Alaska someday. I recall parents telling me the same positive things about the Pearl's children's programs.

Alaskan cruises are all about the ports first and the ship comes in as #2. HAL goes to Sitka instead of Skagway and while Sitka is charming, the draw to the above mentioned excursions in Skagway is overwhelming to me. You also spend a lot less time in Sitka with HAL as compared to Skagway (a very long wonderful day). We learned to check the times in port so be sure to do that as you compare.

If you are considering July, I would recommend going in the later part of the month when the salmon are running in Ketchikan's streams. I've been there around the 4th of July when it was too early.

The day in Glacier Bay is absolutely wonderful and both ships did an outstanding job. Only two ships are allowed in each day and seniority gives HAL, Princess and NCL the priority to go there. You don't dock anywhere and a ranger comes on board at about 7-8 AM and stays till 5PM. Your child will get to experience the Junior Ranger program all day which I heard is really special so that is a vote for Glacier Bay.

You will have nice LONG days of light in Alaska to enjoy the ports. Sunrise is around 4AM and Sunset is about 10 PM.

BTW- the Pearl and the Sky can't be compared. I have done both. If you did the Sky in the Bahamas- I would say that is about the most inferior cruise experience you could ask for on NCL (the shorter ones on all the cruise lines in the Bahamas are inferior), so don't use that as a measuring stick. I was in the Bahamas as the last stop on a TA this past Nov. and only went ashore because we were at sea the previous 6 days and I wanted to walk on land. Lots of experienced cruisers feel that way about the Bahamas.

Lots of things to consider!

The demographics are about the same for all cruise lines (with possible exception of Disney) in Alaska. I've been on Carnival and Princess to Alaska, and the age ranges were very similar. You will find many family groups and plenty of children. On our cruise at the end of July last year, there were nearly 500 children on board. Yes, you will also find plenty of elderly people, but they aren't the majority, as some have implied.

I also agree with others that Glacier Bay should be a priority if this will likely be your only trip to Alaska. Only Princess, HAL and NCL go to Glacier Bay. (And Carnival I think goes first and last cruise of the season, but you are unlikely to be able to do either of those if you have a child in school.) You have already eliminated NCL from your list, so you should definitely consider Princess or HAL.

Princess does have an excellent children's program. You can see the "Shockwaves" schedules from our cruise 2 years ago, when my daughter was in this group. They were specifically for the 11-12 year olds, but the 8-10 year olds were often combined and/or did similar things at different times. They are the first 7 images on this page:

http://s204.photobucket.com/user/cruisinmama06/library/Princess%20Patters?sort=3&page=1

You also want to carefully consider itinerary. Some of the HAL ships go to Stika rather than Skagway. Both are good, but you should look at what you can do in each port and what you prefer. If your child is a train lover, Skagway might be a better choice. Also look at port times, and whether they fit with what you want to do.

Have fun planning your trip to Alaska! I'm leaving again in 19 days and can hardly wait!

We are going to Alaska in two weeks on HAL with our 12 yr old DD and 6 yr old DS. We have been very happy with HAL and Princess for us and for our children. Our experience with NCL has not been as good. Royal Caribbean has a great kids program as well, but does not visit Glacier Bay- really a must see. As far as Skagway vs Sitka- I much prefer Sitka. Skagway is more Gold Rush and Trains (I found the train ride here incredibly boring- my kids would have hated it)- Sitka is more Native Alaskan/Totem Poles and Russian Influences.

Holland or princess: I was under the assumption they were smaller and more geared for adults? Am I wrong?

I was wondering too..... where are your HAL & Princess options.

We have only done Alaska on HAL & Princess. and only with kids.

current 5yr x2 and 10 yr old.

we are going on HAL cruisetour this month

but besides cruiseline choice- I would recommend Vancouver departure over Seattle due to inside passage east of vancouver Island issue--

also we have been in inside to Penthouse. FOr me balconies are not essential-- just a luxury. We are in OV this time. have $4000-5000 worth of shore excursions, so chose to spend the $$ there this time around

I would also recommend you check out Princess. Friends of ours took their 4 kids to Alaska (ages 3-10) on Princess and had an excellent cruise (loved the kids club).

We went to Alaska 2 years ago on NCL Pearl with our 4 kids. Awesome trip, because of the location. I would not go on the Pearl again and wish we hadn't "cheaped" out. However, I know others have had great experiences on the Pearl. It just wasn't a good fit for our family and we much prefer Royal.

We did sail out of Vancouver, and it worked out great. If you are leaning towards Disney, that's what I recommend you do. Tickets to Seattle were much cheaper, and our ship left from Vancouver but returned to Seattle. We flew in to Seattle and took the train to Vancouver the next morning. It was a great trip and went smoothly (and we had 4 kids in tow). They loved the experience on the train.

Archived