Opions Please...Southern from Puerto Rico or Fort Lauderdale??

lcgvol

I will be booking a Spring Break Cruise for next March soon. We did the Puerto Rico cruise on the Valor this past March and loved all the ports: St. Maarten, St Thomas, Barbados, St Kitts, St. Lucia. Not so crazy about the flying part though.

I'm wondering if all of the ports on the Fort Lauderdale Freedom cruise are as good as the other southern ones we've already been on. These are Aruba, Grand Turk, Dominican Republic, Curacao. I would be willing to drive to Ft. Lauderdale if reasonable airfare can't be found. It is quite a bit more since it is an 8 day vs 7 day.

Any opinions would be appreciated. Thanks

I LOVED the southern from Puerto Rico. I would do that again in a heart beat.

But with it being spring break, you are not likely to get any cheap deals on airfare. So you will have to suck it up. However, with that being said - the flights will fill up fast and if the sailing is not doing so well, Carnival will discount the price even further closer to departure.

We booked this cruise over Thanksgiving and ended up getting upgraded from an inside to a n aft-view balcony and still had $300 OBC. It more than made up for the price we paid for airfare. If you choose this option.....book EARLLY SAVER for those price drops.

I always prefer driving to a port and I would always rather have an 8 day cruise instead of 7. I really don't think you'll miss much by not cruising out of Puerto Rico. Book the 8 day and enjoy!!!:D

I've sailed the Southern itinerary 3 times out of San Juan (not on the Valor) and sailed last spring on the Freedom out of Fort Lauderdale. I really enjoyed the unique itinerary of the Freedom. I loved every stop.

However, I ultimately like sailing out of San Juan best because I like maximum port time and I look at San Juan as another bonus port. We love spending time in Old San Juan. It's a little pricier to fly there, but the cruise is often cheaper.

This year, I'm sailing out of San Juan again. I'm glad I did the Freedom itinerary, though.

p.s. I have a full review with lots of pics of the Freedom in my signature. The only difference is we did Freeport instead of Grand Turk because that port was temporarily closed on our sailing.

Having to fly is a small price to pay to experience the Southern Caribbean. It's without a doubt the better itinerary.

BUT, since you've already done the Souhern itinerary on the Valor, I would pick the 8 night Freedom. Different ship, different destinations.

Have you also looked at other cruise lines sailing from San Juan?

Sounds like you answered your own question.

1. You have done the Southern from Puerto Rico.

2. You are not thrilled to fly.

3. Different locations from Fort Lauderdale.

Freedom it is...:cool:

This is soley my opinion, but if I ever book a cruise that includes Gran Turk again, I will try to research if we will be the only ship on port on that day. We ported in GT with another ship and it was a cluster-mess. Everything from the crowded beach to the shoulder-to-shoulder in the gift shops. The pool @ Margaritaville was filled to capacity. I have read reviews and seen pics of this area with only one ship and can tell you that there is a BIG difference. One of our roll call members rented a cabana at GT and had their patio chairs hijacked. It was a hot mess.

If GT is part of your itinerary and you really want to enjoy what the island has to offer, then check out the port schedules.

If you've already done the Valor and that Itinerary, I would definitely do the other itinerary! I would love to do that itinerary as I have only been to Aruba on that list! I LOVED the Southern Caribbean out of San Juan but if you have the opportunity to drive to a port versus flying and these are new ports to visit, heck yeah!!!!! Go with the Freedom!

I think the extra day is great. We did the 8 day Southern Caribbean from Ft. Lauderdale on the Miracle a few years ago, but it was many of the ports you've already been to. but that extra day was great. On a 7 day cruise I'm always wishing it would be just a bit longer before I have to disembark. I would like to visit the other ports so I would choose the 8 day itinerary. If I have to fly, I'd rather fly into FL than San Juan.

We did the Victory out of Puerto Rico and did the Freedom twice now. I would choose the Freedom again. Loved doing an 8 day cruise.

As far as the ports, loved Aruba. Grand Turk was nothing special. Did a tour in La Romana D.R. which was interesting and Curacao was another good island. If anything else, you can claim you went to 4 new islands.

I've sailed the Southern itinerary 3 times out of San Juan (not on the Valor) and sailed last spring on the Freedom out of Fort Lauderdale. I really enjoyed the unique itinerary of the Freedom. I loved every stop.

However, I ultimately like sailing out of San Juan best because I like maximum port time and I look at San Juan as another bonus port. We love spending time in Old San Juan. It's a little pricier to fly there, but the cruise is often cheaper.

This year, I'm sailing out of San Juan again. I'm glad I did the Freedom itinerary, though.

p.s. I have a full review with lots of pics of the Freedom in my signature. The only difference is we did Freeport instead of Grand Turk because that port was temporarily closed on our sailing.

Thanks MDSue!! I really enjoyed your review. It was a huge help. I think this is the one for us next year. Now to talk other families into going too.(My 15 yr old daughter needs someone to keep her company as we are way too uncool to hang out with)

Thanks for all the replies! I think the Freedom will be worth the extra $$$. If worst comes to worst and we have to drive the 12 hours straight back on Sunday, it'll be worth it.

Thanks MDSue!! I really enjoyed your review. It was a huge help. I think this is the one for us next year. Now to talk other families into going too.(My 15 yr old daughter needs someone to keep her company as we are way too uncool to hang out with)

Thanks, I'm glad you enjoyed it. I really enjoyed the itinerary. The crew was excellent as well.

I totally understand being way to uncool to hang out with. My teenage daughter didn't want to hang out with us on our first cruise either and she wasn't the type to meet other cruisers on the ship. I did notice that there was a ton of activities for the teens on the ship and they seemed to be having a great time hanging out together.

Archived