laundry

RCC does not have self service laundry facilities. You give your clothes to the stateroom attendant and for a "fee" it will be taken care of for you. This is one big advantage (maybe the only one) Carnival has over RCC. Are you listening Royal? We want self service laundry facilities.

I posted this same question about a week ago. I found the pricing on the rccl site. Basically NO self-service laundry. The cost to wash one shirt, a pair of shorts and socks will cost about $8.00.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you cannot locate the laundry pricing guide and I will go back and locate the link for you.:)

What amazes me is how many folks post that they think the laundry costs on RCI are very reasonable. If I go for a run, one tee shirt, one pair of shorts, one pair of socks, and one pair of underware costs $7.00.

I guess reasonable is all in the mind of the beholder.

Just pack more stuff! Don't believe those people that wax eloquently on the virtues of packing light. The airlines let you take 2 cases per person and one carryon ... That's 6 pieces. We didn't seem to have any trouble having a full week's worth of clean clothes when we had six pieces of luggage to work with.

Doing laundry is something you do when you get home.

Just pack more stuff! Don't believe those people that wax eloquently on the virtues of packing light. The airlines let you take 2 cases per person and one carryon ... That's 6 pieces. We didn't seem to have any trouble having a full week's worth of clean clothes when we had six pieces of luggage to work with.

Doing laundry is something you do when you get home.

Yea, but if I'm on a 13 day cruise there is no way I'm packing 13 days worth of different clothes. You'll look ridiculous showing up for your third or fourth formal night with wrinkled stained clothing. First thing I do when I return home from a 7 day cruise is send my suit to the drycleaners. And that is after only wearing it twice.

Hanging out at a self serve laundry on a cruise ship??? This is the last place I would want to spend even a minute of precious vacation time. If you pack right, no need for this. But, agree the laundry fees are a bit high.

Hanging out at a self serve laundry on a cruise ship??? This is the last place I would want to spend even a minute of precious vacation time. If you pack right, no need for this. But, agree the laundry fees are a bit high.

Maybe I should have you pack for me on my upcoming cruises.

The reason RCCL doesn't have self serve laundry is so they can charge that much. Think about how much profit they are making on laundry. Just toss in your clothes with a giant load it doesn't cost them anymore money but it sure does you. They're not willing to give up that profit that's why there's no self serve laundry.

On Princess that have a coin operated laundry. It was kind of depressing doing laundry. The past couple of cruises we have broken down and used the laudry. One thing the clothes come back looking brand new. One pair of pants my husband had a stain we couldn't get out, but when they came back they looked brand new! It is expensive but the service is wonderful.

I guess that I'm one of those people who thinks that their prices are not out of line with what land-based laundries charge for similar service. Besides, my wife and I are on vacation and the last thing I think either of should be doing onboard a cruise ship is laundry. I recognize that on longer cruises it is difficult to pack sufficient clothes to do without the need of laundering some of our clothes, but I really don't mind paying for the convenience. I have cruised on Princess and Carnival which have self-service laundries (and I understand that Freedom of the Seas will offer them, so some of you will get your wish ) :) but I also remember a tablemate's story of his being treated rudely by fellow passengers when he did not return to remove his laundry from the machine at the exact moment when it finished its cycle. Who needs that kind of aggravation?

Laundry prices are comparable to what you could expect to pay in a hotel. Fortunately my hotel laundry experiences were covered by an expense account.

I'm sure RCI makes a few bucks off laundry charges but they probably make a lot more by filling the space a self serve laundry would use with passenger cabins.

A week cruise isn't a problem for us but stretching cloths past 10 days works best with a washing maching and dryer. Our last cruise was 16 days but fortunately we were on Princess which has self service laundries and a free laundry and dry cleaning past passenger benefit (15+ cruises). They also offered laundry specials a few times during the cruise....as much as you could stuff into a laundry bag for $15. We've done as many as 15 days on RCI but I can't recall if they offered any laundry specials.

I would pay but only for something I really needed to have done. Like a stain or something on a suit, badly wrinkled dress pants or shirt. I'm not going to pay them to wash a pair of jeans for me.

I read on a post one time that someone brings old clothes to wear on excursions and around on the ship. At the end of the cruise they just toss the clothes out. I think that is a great idea, I just might try it. I hate doing laundry but I am lucky my husband does it 99% of the time.

I read on a post one time that someone brings old clothes to wear on excursions and around on the ship. At the end of the cruise they just toss the clothes out. I think that is a great idea, I just might try it. I hate doing laundry but I am lucky my husband does it 99% of the time.

The only thing I hate more than packing before going on a trip, is packing when the trip is over.

I think it is simply a matter of "CHOICE."

Some people don't want to do laundry on a cruise and that's their choice. Then they are others like me who have enough time and prefer to pack light and do my own laundry. I don't find it a chore. I see it as a convenience to do it when I want too, instead of RCL shaking me down for extra money. On many long cruises on HAL and Princess, I have pulled out my dinner outfit and didn't like the amount of wrinkles. It was always convenient to go to the laundry and do a little touch up.

I don't go to the specialty restaurants, but at least those cruisers that prefer them have a choice of the free or fee.

I also agree with the poster who exercises. I spend an hour in the gym daily and I can only wear that "sweaty, smelly" outfit once.

We just got back from a 11 day cruise/ land tour in Alaska and used the Laundry twice. The first was to have my suit drycleaned and 4 dress shirts pressed. This was $13. We didn't worry about wrinking the dress shirts or the suit when packing as I planned on having them done on board the ship. They charge 1/2 the amount for pressing. ($1.50 a shirt) and $7 to dry clean the suit. We were set for the formal nights.

Then the day before the land portion we had 6 pairs of jeans laundered at a cost of $18. This was high but we didn't have to pack more than 2 pairs a jeans each (3 of us).

Archived