Help me through the Panama Canal - the in's and out's

You see absolutely everything about the canal right from the ship. You don't need to take a tour off the ship to see it. The only time people take a tour of the canal is if they're on a partial transit of the canal, or if they aren't doing a transit at all, and their only chance to see it is by taking a tour out of Colon. I was on a cruise this past Feb on Celebrity Equinox, and one of our stops was Colon. Since we weren't going through the canal, many passengers took the tour to see the canal. But if you're doing an actual transit, you don't need to take a tour to see it.

A full transit takes a full day as you go through the Gatun and Miraflores locks. Ships wait their turn outside the locks and are directed into the appropriate lane. You will see the "mules", or electric trains, that pull the ship into the locks, and your best view of that is right on the ship. Plus, they bring on a guest speaker who will narrate your transit and explain everything that's going on. That's one reason why I prefer deck 6 cabins on Infinity----you get great views of the whole process at that level.

That helps. Now just finding the best route or port stops. Can't do the tendered ports.

Any suggestions on flying into Ft. Lauderdale and Miami as it will be one of there ports I leave some. Transportation is by biggest question. My electric wheelchair needs a ramp/lift... Do you need to call a special company ahead time. Bigger airports in the west usually limit the companies to a few that can take you to an outbound destination.

So assuming I fly in the day before. I'll need to find a taxi ride from the airport to a motel. Last time and next time they met me at the airport. Do the cruise companies work with any motels/hotels for pick up like this? I'm assuming I'll need to find a taxi ride on cruise day to the dock. But the larger city might provide better or more services.

Thanks everyone it's all helping.

That helps. Now just finding the best route or port stops. Can't do the tendered ports.

Any suggestions on flying into Ft. Lauderdale and Miami as it will be one of there ports I leave some. Transportation is by biggest question. My electric wheelchair needs a ramp/lift... Do you need to call a special company ahead time. Bigger airports in the west usually limit the companies to a few that can take you to an outbound destination.

So assuming I fly in the day before. I'll need to find a taxi ride from the airport to a motel. Last time and next time they met me at the airport. Do the cruise companies work with any motels/hotels for pick up like this? I'm assuming I'll need to find a taxi ride on cruise day to the dock. But the larger city might provide better or more services.

Thanks everyone it's all helping.

There are wheelchair accessible taxies available at both the Miami Dade and Ft. Lauderdale airports. After collecting baggage you can proceed to the taxi stand and the attendant will call for a wheelchair accessible taxi. You can also go to the websites for both the Miami Dade and Ft. Lauderdale airport websites as the accessible taxi companies are generally listed if you prefer you can make pre-arrangements.

If you are planning to fly to Miami for a cruise departing FT. Lauderdale or vice versus you will most definitely need to make arrangements in advance.

Also if your hotel provides a shuttle and it does not have a wheelchair lift than under ADA law the hotel has to arrange for wheelchair accessible transportation for you. If the Hotel charges a fee for this service to able body guests than the hotel can charge you no more than the fee charged to the able bodied guests regardless of the actual cost that the hotel has to pay. If the shuttle is free for able bodied guests than the hotel cannot charge you a fee. The same applies if the hotel provides a shuttle to the cruise port.

Edited by xxoocruiser

So that leaves me to decide between seeing Colon or Aruba? Thoughts, I just want or need to get out and walk around some, a bunch if possible and look at the place be a tourist. Eat? Nothing big.

I like Holland America's current stops but they don't have any 2015 cruises posted yet.

Okay, I've really narrowed down the cruise to a Jan/Feb/March 2015 date. I think.

Looks like it's the Princess Island for a January, February or March cruise.

For March I only see the Celebrity Infinity.

Nothing shows for RCC in 2015.

Would anyone comment on Princess vs. Celebrity? Which ships have most recently been refurbished or will before 2015?

Cost? - any comments, suggestions, advice?

Thanks

My eyes are search tired... every day, most all day this past week.

I've been on both lines, and they're more alike than different. They recently refurbished Infinity and added a couple of specialty restaurants, a really nice wine bar called Cellar Masters and just a general overhaul of the public rooms. For me, the biggest difference is service. I find the service to be better, and more friendly on Celebrity.

First cruise on Sapphire Princess Baja 303 midship. Second will be on the Sapphire - Caribe Deck 302.

I'm planning to go through the Panama Canal in 2015 it's 15 nights and I have come to 3 dates to depart. Two on the Island Princess and one on Celebrity Infinity. I was pricing staterooms... the terms / language confuse me some. Rookie... :o

What is the main differences on the Princess BD cabin vs Celebrity 2A things like room size, deck size, any extras, service?

The Celebrity S2 concierge class suite at midship Deck 8 looks great but for two people it's 2,000 more and thats just to much - more room, more perks. :( the room would be nice.

Handicapped rooms probably go fast so I should decide soon. Rates drop so much but the handicap rooms go fast I'm told. This will be my last cruise I believe ... unless I win the lottery this will be my last big anything.

Thanks again for any thoughts

On Princess you can do price matching up until final payment. I have done that and gotten reduced fares. I've not sailed with Celebrity but think that is available with them as well. One other thought I had was that Holland America has some of their tenders equipped with a wheelchair lift. If (big if) that would fit your chair it might be a line you should consider.

On Princess you can do price matching up until final payment. I have done that and gotten reduced fares. I've not sailed with Celebrity but think that is available with them as well. One other thought I had was that Holland America has some of their tenders equipped with a wheelchair lift. If (big if) that would fit your chair it might be a line you should consider.

I can say with absolute certainty that the accessible cabins on HAL were the worst by far of any ship I've been on, and I've been on many ships.

Thank you all it's helped, I'm sure it's Celebrity. Any comments on a rear facing Aft Concierge Class? I've just always thought the aft was yuck. It's looking like I'll go with a midship 2A stateroom on Celebrity. I've really made most choices...trying to stretch my dollar... and the Concierge Class while very tempting seems like a lot.

I do not think anyone else has mentioned watching as you go through the canal. Give your friends and family the ship's cam internet address or one of the canal's cam internet address.

I had given my son and granddaughters the ship's cam address. My son found one of the cams for the canal that he liked better and watched as we (the ship) went through.

Oh, don't worry about which cruise line... there is no such thing as a bad cruise.

Betty

Highly suggest Celebrity M class ships that go to Canal, anytime. In the aft there are 3 lovely Concierge class balconies that are accessible. 7212, 8176 and 9? 3/4 shaded. Balconies so large you can do wheelies on them. Large Room, but balcony is really gigantic and prime viewing spot for you. Otherwise you will be on viewing deck, extreme heat or windowed room five deep. Wonderful accessible tour guide in Panama, if interested, just ask.

Also wonderful research on hc rooms on vacations to go dot com. Alan Fox a pro.

I too prefer bookingbwith cruiseline as pricing does change. V.

Highly suggest Celebrity M class ships that go to Canal, anytime. In the aft there are 3 lovely Concierge class balconies that are accessible. 7212, 8176 and 9? 3/4 shaded. Balconies so large you can do wheelies on them. Large Room, but balcony is really gigantic and prime viewing spot for you. Otherwise you will be on viewing deck, extreme heat or windowed room five deep. V.

I agree. We were just in cabin 7212. Excellent gigantic balcony for wheelchair use. Clear view of aft wake.

Here is a picture of the aft cabins. The Infinity is an M-class Celebrity ship.

666726954_7212Allaftbalconies.jpg.0a3571dec634f22d81ca25a455b493ba.jpg

Thank you all very much. I'm going on Celebrity - Infinity March 2015 a east to west coast cruise 15 nights. I did book stateroom 8176 in the Aft the C1 Concierge class. The S2 is tempting but this will be a different experience / view for me. ;)

I'm ready. :D

Thank you all very much. I'm going on Celebrity - Infinity March 2015 a east to west coast cruise 15 nights. I did book stateroom 8176 in the Aft the C1 Concierge class. The S2 is tempting but this will be a different experience / view for me. ;)

I'm ready. :D

So glad you listened. You will love that balcony. Call special needs ahead of time to make sure they have the lip covered, otherwise you will have to ask room steward. It is portable. The room is nice too. Also ask for a door stop as doors on that ship are not automatic. We had 30 people on that balcony, it is huge.

We went in March. It is hot but that balcony is 3/4 shade. Enjoy. Vicki

• 2 months later...

Have any of you used an accessible tour operator to go from Colon to see the canal?

We're taking Celebrity's New Years cruise on Equinox, and one of the stops is Colon. DH is a full-time wheelchair user, and Mom also needs a wheelchair for any off-ship walking.

I really want to see the canal. Are there accessible tour operators out of Colon?

Have any of you used an accessible tour operator to go from Colon to see the canal?

We're taking Celebrity's New Years cruise on Equinox, and one of the stops is Colon. DH is a full-time wheelchair user, and Mom also needs a wheelchair for any off-ship walking.

I really want to see the canal. Are there accessible tour operators out of Colon?

Donna. Try looking at Tours By Locals. They have varying degrees of tours ranging from "Light" to "Strenous" activities. We have a tour booked with them with Alek (moderately rated due to walking), but you may try checking them out as all their tours can be personalized. Also note that the prices quoted as "per tour" not per person. We have had success with TBL in France and are looking forward to using them again in both Colon and Cartagena.

http://www.toursbylocals.com/TBL/WebObjects/ToursByLocals.woa/1/wa/searchForToursInPlace?wosid=c1ZYj9QEbwU83F8busXXqw

tt (also on the NY's Equinox cruise) :)

• 7 months later...

I have run into a problem... due to some non-serious medical issues and lack of income I am in a different financial situation than I expected to be for the trip now. I really want to go.

Airfare went up 30 percent over my earlier projection so it's an easy 900 plus per person 2 of us and we'd need an over night stay. I wanted to go through in style and paid a lot for the aft room but I'd rather go from an interior than not go. I think I'll call the travel agent and see if there are any other rooms that would be enough less to save some.

Any thoughts are appreciated. yes, I'm a little bummed as I was really excited. I still have time to be creative.

Edited by GoneJohnson

While 8176 is a lovely cabin, it is not for you if it means you can't go at all.

You might want to check not only inside prices but ocean view as well. If you sign up for Celebrity emails you can be aware of any specials and then call your TA since you are using one.

Happy travels!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Maybe check out the prices on one of the oceanview cabins right at the front - 6004 or 6005 or at the side 6012, 6014. I think that window view could be awesome.

We're staying in 6014 on the Summit for our Bermuda cruise. From the pictures I've seen, it's spacious with lots of turnaround room, the same accessible bathroom in all of their accessible staterooms, and a nice round window to get some natural light and to be able to look out of.

And hey, check out your roll call - you never know if you'll meet the person who gets your accessible aft. Make a new friend and maybe you'll be able to enjoy it as well :p

On my bucket list is to do a B2B through and back the panama canal, I'm just not certain that my mom could take 30 days on the ship at this point so we're building up to it. 10 days on board in the fall, 14 days next March, 21 days in January 2016, maybe we'll take the B2B Panama trips in the fall of 2016!.

It doesn't matter what category of cabin you're in - the important thing is to be on the ship! (and keep watching airfares - you never know when they'll be another dip in prices!).

Edited by meatloafsfan

On my bucket list is to do a B2B through and back the panama canal,
That would be a very beautiful cruise.

Thank you all for much help. Any other last suggestions as to a specific stateroom number appreciated. I've decided I must have a deck. I'll borrow the silly money - I don't want to but.....

I need to get this wrapped up.