4th July

irishjim

Have been missing the Boston Pops July 4th Concert - could not find it televised this year. Anyone know what happened?

We wondered the same thing. Thanks for asking. Searched everywhere for it as our memory was it was always on after the Capitol DC extravaganza. We did enjoy DC thoroughly this year, though thought they should have concentrated totally on the fireworks once they started and not had the last several musical performances with the fireworks shown in the background.

It was televised locally on a Boston station, but there was no national feed, which had come on later in the past.

Who has the broadcasting rights seems to change over the years.

Frankly, I didn't think it was as good as it has been in the past, but that was because the guest entertainers didn't appeal to me as much. The Pops themselves, and the fireworks, were very good, and the crowd was enthusiastic.

Our local CBS (channel 4) played the concert and it likely was streamed live. I agree with Ruth the guest talent was not as much to my taste as those who entertained in NYC. I watched Mariah Carey and whoever that young, beautiful female singer (can't think of her name now) but she was wonderful.

On the other hand, in Boston the tributes to the first responders for the work they did at the Marathon tragedy were very well done. When Keith Lockhart handed the baton to the Police Officer so badly wounded and he conducted an Irish ballad, it was hard to not get emotional..... especially when Keith did a bit of Irish step dance. That was terrific.

Our local CBS (channel 4) played the concert and it likely was streamed live.

The flaw in that is that one would have had to know that WBZ was televising the Pops. Nationwide, most people would not know what to search for.

I am fortunate that I get Boston stations on TV.

Yes, of course. As I wrote it was our CBS, Channel 4.... Local.

This is the first year NBC did not air Boston Pops nationally and opted to air NYC concert.

I wonder if the outstanding entertainers who were scheduled might be part of the reason they switched which concert to air?

Yes, of course. As I wrote it was our CBS, Channel 4.... Local.

This is the first year NBC did not air Boston Pops nationally and opted to air NYC concert.

I wonder if the outstanding entertainers who were scheduled might be part of the reason they switched which concert to air?

God I haven't thought about the Boston Pops in years. My grandmother used to love them . They had a show called an Evening at Pops where they would have a guest star sing with them. My Grandmother passed many years ago. Arthur Fiedler was still the conductor back then.

God I haven't thought about the Boston Pops in years. My grandmother used to love them . They had a show called an Evening at Pops where they would have a guest star sing with them. My Grandmother passed many years ago. Arthur Fiedler was still the conductor back then.

Boston Pops are still as popular as ever. It's a delightful evening to enjoy.

Arthur Fiedler was an institution, such a colorful character and huge talent. We've been so fortunate in Boston to have had such outstanding Symphony and The Pops not to mention Tanglewood in the Berkshires. That is a treasure......

Keith Lockhart has been in Boston now for years and does the annual 4th of July on the Esplanade concert.

Boston Pops are still as popular as ever. It's a delightful evening to enjoy.

Arthur Fiedler was an institution, such a colorful character and huge talent. We've been so fortunate in Boston to have had such outstanding Symphony and The Pops not to mention Tanglewood in the Berkshires. That is a treasure......

Keith Lockhart has been in Boston now for years and does the annual 4th of July on the Esplanade concert.

A lady I used to work with used to go to Tanglewoods all the time. She raved about the grounds almost as much as the program .

Wasn't it horrible about the fireworks accident in California! :eek:

What was to have been a fun celebration certainly turned tragic!

I haven't heard about it. Could you share some details? Or a link to the story?

Thanks.

Thanks, Ruth; obviously, it's not broadcast nationally anymore. Seems like a few years ago, it was on A&E, but then disappeared. Not the same, of course, as when they did 1812 with the live cannon - that was spectacular!

Thanks, Ruth; obviously, it's not broadcast nationally anymore. Seems like a few years ago, it was on A&E, but then disappeared. Not the same, of course, as when they did 1812 with the live cannon - that was spectacular!

Oh, they still did the 1812 Overture with the cannon! And was as grand as ever. The Pops themselves were pretty much as usual; it's the guest entertainers that didn't thrill me this year.

I remember very well when A&E did the broadcast; it was also broadcast on an over the air Boston station, which is what I watched on. That's been years!

At some point it was picked up by CBS, so the local CBS station did the early broadcast, and the national feel picked it up later in the evening. This year was down to just the local station, as far as I know.

Maybe some year there will be a national broadcast again. It's certainly worth watching.

Our local CBS (channel 4) played the concert and it likely was streamed live. I agree with Ruth the guest talent was not as much to my taste as those who entertained in NYC. I watched Mariah Carey and whoever that young, beautiful female singer (can't think of her name now) but she was wonderful.

On the other hand, in Boston the tributes to the first responders for the work they did at the Marathon tragedy were very well done. When Keith Lockhart handed the baton to the Police Officer so badly wounded and he conducted an Irish ballad, it was hard to not get emotional..... especially when Keith did a bit of Irish step dance. That was terrific.

The Boston Pops used to be shown on PBS (Seattle). Unfortunately that was not the case this year. They covered events in Washington, DC - don't like their format. Really missed the Pops. Ended up watching Macie's show from NYC - terrific. The young female singer was Celina Gomez.:D

Archived