Tips and secrets on the Dawn

What a good question Latebloomer. I've never seen a tiny waffle robe. Would he be just as well off keeping pajamas on? Or shorts and a t shirt? Maybe try your question on the ncl website.

Yes, there's a cooking demo. I remember it as the first sea day.

I can only speak for balcony class and mini suite balconies. They don't come with, nor would they fit, loungers. In the family suites I've read that people have requested a different furniture configuration on their balconies.

• 4 weeks later...

Can anyone tell me about the hot tub on deck 13 (front of the ship)? I read in another thread that it's a quiet area. I've also read that the pool is usually a zoo and having to hang with a ton of rowdy kids doesn't appeal to me. I'd rather hang out in a quiet area with a hot tub or something.

Can anyone tell me about the hot tub on deck 13 (front of the ship)? I read in another thread that it's a quiet area. I've also read that the pool is usually a zoo and having to hang with a ton of rowdy kids doesn't appeal to me. I'd rather hang out in a quiet area with a hot tub or something.

Deck 13 hot tub is great. It is in the quiet area but when the ship is at sea it is very windy. Just returned from the dawn to bermuda and now appreciate why we take 14 night cruises in the fall. No kids and no really rowdy young people. Next cruise is the dawn nov 1st for 14 nights. Can't wait!

I've only cruised NCL once, on the EPIC in Europe. This will be my first time on a older ship. I'd love to have an opinion on the Dawn. Will I be disappointed or is it better being more intimate?

It depends on what you like. Without telling us anything about what you liked or disliked with Epic, it's pretty impossible to answer if you'll be disappointed or not. Crowd wise Dawn will probably be a lot more comfortable.

I didn't like Epic too much and prefer the previous ships in the fleet (Jewel class). At the same time the older Dawn class is more basic with less bells and whistles. If you're fine with no bowling, big waterslides or wallclimbing and big shows that are one a day, then you should generally be ok with the ship.

Edited by Demonyte

Deck 13 hot tub is great. It is in the quiet area but when the ship is at sea it is very windy. Just returned from the dawn to bermuda and now appreciate why we take 14 night cruises in the fall. No kids and no really rowdy young people. Next cruise is the dawn nov 1st for 14 nights. Can't wait!

Thanks for the answer! Maybe I will check it out on a port day. We're sailing on the Dawn to Bermuda on 09/06.

Trying to find a quite location with room for a walker.

Does anyone know what the 3rd bed in the handicap rooms are on the Dawn? Are all of the mini suites located next to the family rooms? Is this a noise factor. :confused: Lastly has anyone ever stayed in a corner aft room?

What a good question Latebloomer. I've never seen a tiny waffle robe. Would he be just as well off keeping pajamas on? Or shorts and a t shirt? Maybe try your question on the ncl website.

Yes, there's a cooking demo. I remember it as the first sea day.

I can only speak for balcony class and mini suite balconies. They don't come with, nor would they fit, loungers. In the family suites I've read that people have requested a different furniture configuration on their balconies.

Thank you so much for your answers. Auntie will love a cooking demo.

Trying to find a quite location with room for a walker.

Does anyone know what the 3rd bed in the handicap rooms are on the Dawn? Are all of the mini suites located next to the family rooms? Is this a noise factor. :confused: Lastly has anyone ever stayed in a corner aft room?

My parents were in handicapped balcony cabin 10198 last week. Definitely room for a walker. Their third bed was a pull down over the sofa in the cabin.

I don't really know what you mean by "family rooms." Sometimes NCL uses the word family to mean midships, locations near to elevators and public rooms. Can you be more specific?

Re - quiet area - many more people have found that spot since last summer. It's still quiet, but all the loungers were taken by 10 AM. Last summer there were still spots open up there at that time.

• 1 month later...

We have been on the Dawn twice this year. One of the best times we had was in the Pearly Kings when we went to the Karaoke night. This bar is very cozy, and we had a blast enjoying everybody's singing and fun. The crowd and staff were very supportive to the singers, and there were people of ALL ages participating. This was a great place for the trivia contests too.

As you can see in our picture, we also enjoy the martini tastings. This is another great place to meet new friends.

I also found on the last cruise that the higher staff members were very visible and were consistently each day meeting and speaking with the passengers.

Another favorite was the Bimini Grill on the upper deck overlooking the pool. They had the best burgers on the ship!

I hope you enjoy te Dawn as much as we have!:D

I'm fairly certain the suite perks are universal across the fleet.

Just the suites themselves are different from ship to ship.

Like the Dawn's Garden Villa having almost double the outdoor space than the Jewel class. (excited to check that out in April)

I'll keep checking in for Dawn-centric, generic tips.

Bill

We stayed in garden villa 14000 in January (review in my signature). You are going to absolutely love it!!! Nothing like it! You will be treated like royalty anywhere you go on the ship as well! Your butler will stock your fridges with whatever you like...we had diet sodas, water, milk, orange juice, cranberry juice, tonic, etc. It will be replaced (at no extra cost) as it is used...no need to ask! I like ice, so our butler brought in a large cooler (the wheelie kind) and kept it full of ice at all times. We got a blender and margarita mix to make our own drinks (you get 6 bottles of liquor included).

One thing to keep in mind if you are a light sleeper, you will hear noise if someone is walking on the upper balcony at night (it actually sounds like they might come through your bedroom ceiling;)).

We loved the hot tub...especially since the upper balcony can get cool when at sea....(just jump in hot tub if you get too cold...awesome!:D)

There is a door in the hallway between the back bedroom so it can be closed off if needed...makes a private area back there....there are 2 doors to get into the villa so someone using that bedroom or outdoor area at night can go in and not disturb anyone in the rest of the villa.

You can see in the bathroom windows of front bedroom at night so keep blinds closed...unless you don't care what anyone on pool deck sees;).

Have an awesome time!! I wish I was going again!

• 3 months later...

IMO, I really like the smaller ships, Star, Sun, Dawn as they are much easier to get around and you seem to be able see the same people (may be good or bad!!) I have been on the Pearl and the Gem and they were bigger and not as personal as the smaller ships. I have not taken the leap to the bigger ships...but will do in the coming years

janymac:p

I've only cruised NCL once, on the EPIC in Europe. This will be my first time on a older ship. I'd love to have an opinion on the Dawn. Will I be disappointed or is it better being more intimate?

IMO, I really like the smaller ships, Star, Sun, Dawn as they are much easier to get around and you seem to be able see the same people (may be good or bad!!) I have been on the Pearl and the Gem and they were bigger and not as personal as the smaller ships. I have not taken the leap to the bigger ships...but will do in the coming years

Dawn class ships (Dawn and Star) are pretty much the same size and basic design (within 1000 GT and all have approx. 2200-2400 passenger capacity) as the next generation, Jewel class ships (Jewel, Pearl, Jade, Gem).

Sun is only a bit smaller ship, as are Sky and Spirit, all having about 2000 passenger capacity but being somewhat smaller in actual size (being around 75,000 GT where as Dawn class and Jewel class ships are around 93,000 GT).

All in all, NCL's fleet could be divided in half by the ship size: smaller ships (pre-Epic) and larger ships (post-Epic) - that's where the size differences really do show.

Edited by Demonyte

• 2 months later...

There are some elevators 3/4 of the way towards the back that don't go to all the floors. Especially in the first few days people would get on elevators there and get confused because they couldn't press the button for their floor, then have to get off. Since elevator doors close quickly, sometimes parties would get separated as one person hopped off and the other didn't in time. So keep in mind that you can't necessarily "get there from here" in that particular section of the ship near the dining rooms. If you split up on the elevator, just have an agreement that the person who got out will wait there until you return. Or that you will continue separately and meet up at your destination.

To follow that (slightly) negative comment, let me balance it by saying that I was impressed with the Dawn's elevators overall -- in my back to back I never saw one out of order. My prior two cruises ALWAYS had one elevator out for the entire week. (Princess and Pride of America). I had come to expect it when cruising. So kudos to Dawn's engineering staff because they kept all of them running smoothly. And housekeeping for keeping them polished and all that glass clean.

Edited by DaisyGoldberg

Best unknown secret on the Dawn, at least until repositioning, is to book dinner in LaCuchina and insist to only be sitting in King Cesar's section. When you are seated, don't look at the menu, only tell him what ingredients you prefer not to have. He'll take care of everything and deliver the best upcharge meal you'll have on the Dawn. Trust me, I've done this four times. My final suggestion is that if you intend to go back (we did 3 times our last trip) is to tip him commensurately (at least the $15 upcharge, times 2 for the both of you). Also, if King acknowledges that you understand, be prepared to tip Gil (Virgil) the chief chef accordingly. This is from the voice of experience.

Best unknown secret on the Dawn, at least until repositioning, is to book dinner in LaCuchina and insist to only be sitting in King Cesar's section. When you are seated, don't look at the menu, only tell him what ingredients you prefer not to have. He'll take care of everything and deliver the best upcharge meal you'll have on the Dawn. Trust me, I've done this four times. My final suggestion is that if you intend to go back (we did 3 times our last trip) is to tip him commensurately (at least the $15 upcharge, times 2 for the both of you). Also, if King acknowledges that you understand, be prepared to tip Gil (Virgil) the chief chef accordingly. This is from the voice of experience.

First, I'm delighted to find such great info about the Dawn in this resurrected thread. We just booked Dawn to Bermuda for October 2015. And we ate in La Cuchina on the Epic last December and loved it, so I'm glad to get this specific tip for the Dawn.

Thank you, thank you.

• 2 weeks later...

This is our first time on NCL. I appreciate all the info for this ship. We were looking for someplace quiet on the ship. When I called NCL and asked if they had an adults only area and was told "no" I was very disappointed. Now that I have been enlightened from fellow cruisers I know we will be able to find a place.:D

• 3 weeks later...

This thread is fantastic!!! I'm going on my very first cruise on the Dawn Oct 31 to bermuda, staying in an AFT Penthouse Suite. I'm so excited!! Keep bringing on these little tips/tricks!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

This thread is fantastic!!! I'm going on my very first cruise on the Dawn Oct 31 to bermuda, staying in an AFT Penthouse Suite. I'm so excited!! Keep bringing on these little tips/tricks!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I just booked SF Aft Penthouse 10226 for 2015. Hope you post your thoughts on your penthouse when you return. :)