Tips and secrets on the Dawn

We stayed in FWD facing SE Penthouse 10000. What a great room. Bigger than other Penthouses on board, due to bumpout. The balcony is very big. The Penthouse to our outside had even a bigger balcony, but no bumpout.

We heard a lot of pro and cons on this room before we sailed. One was we had to keep the blinds drawn after dark. True, unless you have the lights out. Another was being windy. I guess if the ship is heading into the wind. As luck, we had it. Wind was at the stern to Bermuda and again back to Boston. Never was wind an issue.

I would not ever be hesitant to book this room again. Though for our next Dawn trip we have booked a SJ family suite 12016 no balcony. We like to try the different locations.

We'll be on the Dawn 12/21/1014, our first Christmas cruise! Anyone have good stories re: holiday cruising to share? Any special holiday touches we can look forward to?

We're doing the Western Caribbean run (Belize, Cozumel, Costa Maya, Roatan) which is also new for us, so would love to hear your suggestions for those ports!

Love finding quiet nooks and shady spots on the boat. Please keep the Dawn secrets and tips coming! I've tried searching the general NCL forum, but it's so huge it'll take forever! :-)

Cheers and happy cruising!

Laughingarcher, I have a review in my signature that covers all these ports when we did them on the Star. My most favorite place ever was Maya Chan in Costa Maya. We are going there again on the Dawn when we sail again.

We did a holiday cruise on the Jewel the week before Christmas last year. The ship was decked out for Christmas and there was an amazing gingerbread village set up. I thought it was interesting to be in a tropical climate and there be Christmas trees everywhere.

We stayed in FWD facing SE Penthouse 10000. What a great room. Bigger than other Penthouses on board, due to bumpout. The balcony is very big. The Penthouse to our outside had even a bigger balcony, but no bumpout.

We heard a lot of pro and cons on this room before we sailed. One was we had to keep the blinds drawn after dark. True, unless you have the lights out. Another was being windy. I guess if the ship is heading into the wind. As luck, we had it. Wind was at the stern to Bermuda and again back to Boston. Never was wind an issue.

I would not ever be hesitant to book this room again. Though for our next Dawn trip we have booked a SJ family suite 12016 no balcony. We like to try the different locations.

NH Cruisers, we are booked in 12016 & 12018. This is the first time we have done NO balcony. I'm hoping we don't regret it but I think the boys will like having beds to themselves. The murphy bed and having their own sleeping space may make up for the no balcony. If you go before I do, come back, post pics and tell me all about it! :D

NH Cruisers, we are booked in 12016 & 12018. This is the first time we have done NO balcony. I'm hoping we don't regret it but I think the boys will like having beds to themselves. The murphy bed and having their own sleeping space may make up for the no balcony. If you go before I do, come back, post pics and tell me all about it! :D

We will be on the May 29th, 2015 sailing. I will post some photos.

From what I read, the majority of folks in those SJs really like them.

Just returned from Dawn today 11/7/14. Here are my tips.

1.The 24 hour waiter service food in Blue Lagoon is a treat. You can order to go. It's faster than room service. 2.Don't miss the Elements show. It's fabulous. All the entertainment on Dawn was great.

3.you can order a whole pizza delivery at anytime and to anywhere- your room, a bar, the pool, anywhere.

4. There are two wine tastings at Le Bistro. They include six wines, different each time and cheese, crackers and fruit are provided. Educational and worth the $$.

5. Gatsby's martini tasting was fun. It's also a great after dinner drink spot. The nightly entertainment there was great.

6. The game shows in Spinnaker were fun. I was only a spectator but laughed lots at each one.

7. If you get the chance to see Chloe and Darren's Just the Two of Us Cabaret go. They are very talented and have great chemistry.

8. The French toast was a delicious reliable breakfast in every dining venue.

9. Made to order omelettes and waffle station in buffet at breakfast and crepes at dinner are a must try.

10 preferred Aqua over Venetian for atmosphere and service. Loved food at Teppanyaki and Cagneys. Best spent dining money however was the Jazz Brunch in La Cuchina. Food was amazing and entertainment was constant.

My two cents. Enjoy.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks, everyone, for all the great Dawn tips! We're sailing Dec. 21st and are SO excited! :-)

CVGurl125, your advice is awesome! So nice to hear such a positive review! How does one sign up for the Jazz Brunch in La Cucina? Would love to do that!

JMHAM1, thanks so much for the link to your ports review! We were at a loss for Costa Maya, so Maya Chan sounds perfect!

Cheers and happy sailing!

Laughingarcher

Thanks, everyone, for all the great Dawn tips! We're sailing Dec. 21st and are SO excited! :-)

CVGurl125, your advice is awesome! So nice to hear such a positive review! How does one sign up for the Jazz Brunch in La Cucina? Would love to do that!

JMHAM1, thanks so much for the link to your ports review! We were at a loss for Costa Maya, so Maya Chan sounds perfect!

Cheers and happy sailing!

Laughingarcher

You can sign up at any of the restaurants for the Jazz brunch. A woman named Toni was roaming around Blue Lagoon taking reservations. You can ask Magnolia in Venetian or Blue lagoon as well. Enjoy your cruise.

Just returned from Dawn today 11/7/14. Here are my tips.

1.The 24 hour waiter service food in Blue Lagoon is a treat. You can order to go. It's faster than room service. 2.Don't miss the Elements show. It's fabulous. All the entertainment on Dawn was great.

3.you can order a whole pizza delivery at anytime and to anywhere- your room, a bar, the pool, anywhere.

4. There are two wine tastings at Le Bistro. They include six wines, different each time and cheese, crackers and fruit are provided. Educational and worth the $$.

5. Gatsby's martini tasting was fun. It's also a great after dinner drink spot. The nightly entertainment there was great.

6. The game shows in Spinnaker were fun. I was only a spectator but laughed lots at each one.

7. If you get the chance to see Chloe and Darren's Just the Two of Us Cabaret go. They are very talented and have great chemistry.

8. The French toast was a delicious reliable breakfast in every dining venue.

9. Made to order omelettes and waffle station in buffet at breakfast and crepes at dinner are a must try.

10 preferred Aqua over Venetian for atmosphere and service. Loved food at Teppanyaki and Cagneys. Best spent dining money however was the Jazz Brunch in La Cuchina. Food was amazing and entertainment was constant.

My two cents. Enjoy.

Thank you SO MUCH for the tips. This is the type of information that is great for a newbie to the Dawn.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...