Croatia Kuna

Going on a cruise the 19th. Due to the recent admission of Croatia into the EU, want your thoughts on Kuna. I bought about 35USD worth. Should I return them and get more EUR instead? Thoughts?

Euros and US$ were widely accepted when we were there last October. The only place that I know of that would not take either was the entrance to walk the top of the wall. They required either Kuna or a credit card.

Going on a cruise the 19th. Due to the recent admission of Croatia into the EU, want your thoughts on Kuna. I bought about 35USD worth. Should I return them and get more EUR instead? Thoughts?
Croatia will not be using the Euro for some time if ever.

Euros and US$ were widely accepted when we were there last October. The only place that I know of that would not take either was the entrance to walk the top of the wall. They required either Kuna or a credit card.
of course non government sites will take them but at what exchange rate?

We were able to use USA currency there for many purchases.

Keith

In my wife's family business's in Hvar Town, Split, Zagreb, Drnis ect they, like everyone else will accept any tradable currency but the exchange rate's are exorbitant.So unless you want to be ripped of take Kuna or use a card.

Two weeks ago just about everywhere (except government fracilities) took euros. I was not worried about the exchange rate for small purchases (like ice cream). For larger purchases I used a credid card.

We found most places took euro but some didn't. We got a bit complacent and ordered ice cream without checking only to find they didn't take euro and we'd run out of local currency. One of us had to dash to a nearby cash point.

In places that do take euro change often comes in local currency.

• 2 weeks later...

We exchanged for Kuna on our ship - they would exchange back any bills we didn't use. As it turned out, after our private tour was over, we paid our guide in Euros as he had suggested, but after we added additional Euros for a tip, we also gave him the rest of the Kuna we had leftover as well (I think it ended up being about $30 US) rather than dealing with exchanging it back - he was much appreciative and had provided us with an amazing day anyway for a very fair price. We kept a handful of Kuna coins for our foreign currency coin collection.

Archived