Blue Lagoon on The Gem

Chriselle

Has anyone else experienced less than stellar service at The Blue Lagoon on The Gem? My mother and I ate lunch there on our day in Port Canaveral and ordered iced teas which never came. A few days later, I stopped in for a late afternoon snack, was seated and then was ignored. I finally left after waiting 15 minutes for a server.

The waitstaff in all the other restaurants has always been exceptional and this was such a disappointment. I wanted to express my dissatisfaction on my survey but there wasn't anywhere to do so. :(

My wife and I were on the Gem the first week of June. Same issues you had. We were very surprised and somewhat disappointed, but then we figured, oh well, at least we don't have to cook it, or clean it.

It was a big variation from the norm we have come to expect from NCL...Long waits, long times after seating before getting service when others were sat after us and getting served right away...But it'll happen anywhere else too. :(

Has anyone else experienced less than stellar service at The Blue Lagoon on The Gem? My mother and I ate lunch there on our day in Port Canaveral and ordered iced teas which never came. A few days later, I stopped in for a late afternoon snack, was seated and then was ignored. I finally left after waiting 15 minutes for a server.

The waitstaff in all the other restaurants has always been exceptional and this was such a disappointment. I wanted to express my dissatisfaction on my survey but there wasn't anywhere to do so. :(

I'm not honestly sure why this restaurant has such bad service. Yes they are very slow, we went late once and never got a server. There is almost never anyone there to seat you. Its pretty much a lounge that serves food on occasion. Maybe they will fix this sometime.

When we were on the Dawn there was a woman who was absolutely miserable, and I never witnessed her being pleasant to anyone, but everyone else was fine and the service throughout the rest of the ship was great. I wondered if it was a place they put remedial servers.

I also have noticed that service in the Blue Lagoon (Gem and Jewel) was slower and less attentive...much of staff was hanging out in kitchen ..and loudly socializing in there.....it really did not bother me that much...as I kind of looked at it like being in a "fast food" type of place at home..BUT- NCL should pobably realize that some people would judge NCL service by a Blue Lagoon visit and that would not be good..as it is not the "norm" for other venues..

We were on the Gem April 27. We had breakfast at Blue Laogoon almost every day and usually popped by in the evening. my nephew was in a wheelchair and we much preferred the slw pace rather than trying to navigate trays and buffets. Our cabin was downy the narrow hallway aft .....probably less than 15 yards away. I cannot complain about our treatment in the Blue Lagoon..we were regulars and treated as such. that being said service depended on staff and time of day. And sea days were the worst. I think that it is almost impossible for staff on cold sea days to cope . One day they had to bring in management to work the Blue Lagoon just to cope with the crowds. I also think that many of the NCL ships lost staff to the Breakaway and that right now all ships are experiencing service issues as they train new staff, adjust to new management styles etc. There were also many staff who were leaving the ship the same day we did.....many expired contracts. If they took 150 to 200 staff from each NCL ship to create the staff for the Breakaway, every ship will feel the pains of loosing experienced staff and replacing with less experience. I suspect in time this will right itself.

We ate at the Blue Lagoon several times on our May 18th Gem cruise and each time the service was unbearably slow and sometimes a bit snippy. Its my sons' favourite place to get a bite, we both enjoy the food but the service was disappointing.

Funny, we were on the Gem 2 years ago this summer, and that was by far our least favorite restaurant for food and service. I guess it hasn't changed much. Not sure why... maybe it the 24 hour spot so they know you're coming regardless? I just don't know.

Why on earth you didn't express your dissatisfaction onboard? :o :rolleyes:

In CC Meet & Greets the officers always ask people to contact them in case of ANY problems with the ship or staff so that passengers do not need to leave the ship unsatisfied and even worse, come here complaining after they did absolutely nothing to get things fixed onboard themselves.

I just returned from Gem today. My group experienced both good and bad service at this restaurant. One mid-afternoon with five of us, service was great. Same with just one at a late evening visit and again at about 4 a.m.! But a late afternoon visit by a single person was not very good as she was ignored by several servers. Guess it just depends who is on duty when you get there???

I usually only go to the Blue Lagoon after the late show for a late night snack...usually a cup of decaf with their delicious raspberry cheesecake. I like to get in and out quickly, and would actually prefer serving myself at a buffet, but they are long closed by then. I think they should convert the Blue Lagoon into a buffet for the late night hours, from say 11PM until they close around 5 AM for an hour.....or just keep a section of the buffet open instead during those hours.....

A little know fact about the Blue Lagoon. the Coffee station is set up to be self serve. You can help yourself to coffee, tea, hot chocolate any tie of day. They even provide takeout cups. This s great if you are out and about early. Garb a cup and head ack to the cabin to hang out on the balcony. Also you can go up to the bar area and order food for takeout.

We've found service in this type of venue to be hit or miss on a few NCL ships, but all in all, we like the access to "comfort foods" and a drink.

Does anyone know if there is fresh popped popcorn available on the Gem? And if so, is it self-serve? In the Gold Rush Saloon on POA it was self-serve when available (yum!) but in the Sports Bar on the Sun, you had to wait for the bartender to serve you. Thanks!

I hate to say this, but the last few times we have eaten in Blue Lagoon we have been disappointed period and not just the Gem. We were on the Spirit and twice the Pearl. yes, the service left a lot to be desired, but so did the food, for the most part. Maybe it is just the reflection of cut backs period. We do still have to remember it isn't supposed to be gourmet and I would expect perfect service. it is a place to grab a bite to eat, that's all it is meant for and it does still serve that purpose.

I disagree with JAJA, I don't think anyone would judge the service on NCL based on the Blue Lagoon...

Makes me sad to read this. On my last NCL cruise a few years ago, I visited the Blue Lagoon at least once a day (sometimes more), at all times of the day or night, and was unfailingly cheerfully greeted and promptly seated. There was sometimes a lag between seating and order-taking, and sometimes a lag between order-taking and food delivery, but I didn't think it was excessive. Besides, that's what books are for. The food was always, always worth it.

I'm sorry to hear both service and food haven't passed muster recently. I need to cruise again to find out for myself.

I disagree with JAJA, I don't think anyone would judge the service on NCL based on the Blue Lagoon...

I sure hope not..just threw it out there.. I just worry that some new to NCL may (you never know with some people !!!)..and that would be sad... as I think the service elsewhere on NCL is GREAT

Been on the Gem a few times and each time drop in to the Blue Lagoon for a mid-afternoon or late night snacks. The service is usually good and occasionally slow depending on when we drop in. And the waiter sometimes does needs to be reminded to bring a forgotten item. However, I always enjoy their food, love by their tomato soup and wings, and that's what I choose to focus my attention. Perhaps having to serve people 24 hours a day is a factor.

When we were on the Dawn there was a woman who was absolutely miserable, and I never witnessed her being pleasant to anyone, but everyone else was fine and the service throughout the rest of the ship was great. I wondered if it was a place they put remedial servers.

OMG I wonder if that was the same woman who served us on the Dawn last week?!!!:rolleyes:

On the Jewel (April 2011) we ate in Blue Lagoon several times, good food, decent service (nothing comes to mind as extra special or poor service).

I sure hope not..just threw it out there.. I just worry that some new to NCL may (you never know with some people !!!)..and that would be sad... as I think the service elsewhere on NCL is GREAT

Me too and it has gotten better in the past few years.

I was on the Dawn 2 weeks ago and about 11:45 am headed to the Blue Lagoon. I was ignored for 5 minutes - and when I finally got someone's attention I was told that they were CLOSED...that they just stopped breakfast and were not open for lunch yet.

I'm not really sure how a 24 hour restaurant can be closed....but...

I went to sit at the bar until they "opened" but the bartender started yelling to the staff at the Blue Lagoon that they can't be closed and to give me a seat.

It took at least 10 minutes after that for someone to even stop at my table...they took the order of every other table before me.

Archived