Victoria-Butchart Gardens

We'll be in Victoria 7p-12a off Star. We plan on visiting the gardens, can we do this on our own (which is what we usually do w/tours) or should we just hope on the Princess tour due to time constraints? If I recall correctly, you can't do it on your own direct from pier. Seems you have to take the short ride/walk into town. Could someone please clarify? TIA:)

By private car it'll take at least half an hour to 45 minutes to the ferry terminal with NO traffic.

The ferry run to Vancouver Island is about 90 minutes each way.

Best to take the ship's excursion.

By private car it'll take at least half an hour to 45 minutes to the ferry terminal with NO traffic.... The ferry run to Vancouver Island is about 90 minutes each way....

Sorry, I think you might be a little confused. OP is sailing into Victoria, not Vancouver. The Gardens are on the Island, about 40 minutes out of downtown Victoria.

Yes OP, I think you have the right idea. Although it will cost you more, I think a ship's tour directly from the cruise ship pier is the way to go here given the limited time you will have. You'll probably have a little more peace of mind, too. :)

Sorry, I think you might be a little confused. OP is sailing into Victoria, not Vancouver. The Gardens are on the Island, about 40 minutes out of downtown Victoria.

Yes OP, I think you have the right idea. Although it will cost you more, I think a ship's tour directly from the cruise ship pier is the way to go here given the limited time you will have. You'll probably have a little more peace of mind, too. :)

Sorry, misread.:)

is this worth the addl $6 to see a bunch of bugs flying around:)

For $6, why not. My concern would be will the insects be up and active at that time.

When you walk into the Butterfly Gardens it is very humid and if still daylight I would think you will see activity.

As a Victorian resident, I would recommend the ships tour just for sheer peace of mind.

Rockfan2

For $6, why not. My concern would be will the insects be up and active at that time.

When you walk into the Butterfly Gardens it is very humid and if still daylight I would think you will see activity.

As a Victorian resident, I would recommend the ships tour just for sheer peace of mind.

Rockfan2

yes, we're definitely going via ships tour with our port time 7p-12a. I too am curious about the activity level. I figure it will be 8-8:30 by the time we get to gardens. I have to agree, for $6 why not. Beautiful city you live in, we look forward to our brief visit. Thanks. :)

Here is my add-on to this question:

We will be there (Victoria) on a Sunday from 8am until 5pm, essentially all day.

Surely with all of that time we could do this independent of the cruise line? Of course, we'd like to see as much as we can, not only Butchart Gardens.

We will be there (Victoria) on a Sunday from 8am until 5pm, essentially all day.

Surely with all of that time we could do this independent of the cruise line? Of course, we'd like to see as much as we can, not only Butchart Gardens.

yes you can do on your own. The only reason we are not is due to short time in port (7p-12a). If I recall correctly, you'll need to go into town to do it independent. This is very easy to do via a short shuttle ride or nice casual walk from pier to town. If we had your times, we would definitely be doing it on our own. I let others far more familiar give the specifics on independent. Enjoy:)

No problem, you can actually go by city bus (just over an hr each way) to Butchart. grab the #31 right outside the cruise terminal (don't cross the street even, just turn left on the street and you'll see a bus stop). tell the driver you'll need a 'transfer', and you need to get on the #75 bus at the Royal Oak exchange. I'm sure there will be other cruisers doing this. Best part, it's only $2.50 ea way and buy your admission at Butchart Gardens.

BCTRANSIT.COM has all the details for the Victoria City Bus system

We want to go to the Gardens when we're in Victoria next May, so I just looked up some information on getting there and found this one: CVS Cruise Victoria--they pick you up right at the cruise port and take you to the Gardens. You need to check the site to see whether your cruise is on their schedule.

Grey Line also has buses leaving the downtown area near the Empress Hotel.

We want to go to the Gardens when we're in Victoria next May, so I just looked up some information on getting there and found this one: CVS Cruise Victoria--they pick you up right at the cruise port and take you to the Gardens. You need to check the site to see whether your cruise is on their schedule.

Grey Line also has buses leaving the downtown area near the Empress Hotel.

CVS Cruise Victoria from the ship is $58+tax (prebooked only)

Grey Line from downtown to Butchart Gardens is $53+tax

taking the local city bus (from the ship) is $2.50/ea way for the bus + $33 to get into Butchart Gardens

They all have their advantages and disadvantages.

People should be aware that transit to and from the Gardens is definitely an option if in Victoria for a half day or longer. However, as many of the ships are only in port for a few evening hours one is best to bight the bullet and take a ship's tour if they want to see the Gardens. The evening transit schedules get a bit thin and really don't work well for an evening visit.

No problem, you can actually go by city bus (just over an hr each way) to Butchart. grab the #31 right outside the cruise terminal (don't cross the street even, just turn left on the street and you'll see a bus stop). tell the driver you'll need a 'transfer', and you need to get on the #75 bus at the Royal Oak exchange. I'm sure there will be other cruisers doing this. Best part, it's only $2.50 ea way and buy your admission at Butchart Gardens.

BCTRANSIT.COM has all the details for the Victoria City Bus system

We have done this several times and it worked out fine, but I suggest checking the Sunday bus schedule as they may not run as often.

Happy Sails to You

OOOEEE :D:D Bob and Phyl

Wow! We were taken away by this place. Just wow! Definitely on our list to visit again. Beautiful!! We took tour thru Princess due to short time in port, I believe the cost was $58pp. Had an excellent driver that gave excellent commentary on the way out as well as on the return. Thanks to all for prior input. All I can say is just go. :)

We talked about it but we are in port 7:30pm-12am and were thinking we wouldn't be able to see much of the gardens because it will get dark...what do you think?

The Gardens are stunningly beautiful at night. They are lit up and really showcased. However, I am concerned about your time frame; it is barely enough time to get out there, enjoy the Gardens, and get back. If you feel you want to do this, I recommend a ship's tour because although more expensive, you know you will get back in time.

Thanks so much for your feedback. We felt the only way we could do it would be through the carnival excursions because then we are guaranteed to make it back. We were worried since the sun sets @9 but maybe we will go back and look again. Thanks again!

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Forums mobile app

Thanks so much for your feedback. We felt the only way we could do it would be through the carnival excursions because then we are guaranteed to make it back. We were worried since the sun sets @9 but maybe we will go back and look again. Thanks again!

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Forums mobile app

You will be fine if you use a ship's tour. The gardens are illuminated in the evening and really are quite beautiful.

• 8 months later...

In May our ship will be in port from 10am-6pm.

Will this allow enough time for us to do an independent tour with CVS?

Approximately how long does it take to walk from pier to Empress Hotel?

How long is the bus ride from Empress to Butchart?

And lastly, how much time is needed to see the gardens?

Thank you in advance for your response.

Trudy