Solo Cruiser's Roll Call

42CruiseCrazy

Heather -- good for you! Your loss is fresh & raw, but you're taking control & doing something that is good for you!

Yes, you'll still be sad & in pain, but you'll also have some fun, memorable, & positive NEW experiences -- your first steps into your new normal.

I do know & understand where you are; I was there 9 years ago. This cruise will give you a chance to get your head together a bit while not having to deal with the everyday things that are now so different.

Rest, relax, have some fun & get stronger. I'm rooting for you!

My name is Heather and I am sailing alone on the Norwegian Breakaway to 9-day Scandinavia and Russia on May 29, 2018. I am sailing alone because my husband, who also loved cruising, just passed away on March 31. I am dying to get out of this house where it happened and find some source of distraction to (hopefully) provide at least some relief from this tragedy. I am staying in a studio. I know this cruise cannot erase my pain but I am hoping I may be distracted enough for it to help, if only a little.

Dear Heather,

This isterribly sad. I feel for you. I hope your marriage was a good one; then you can say you had that! I applaud you for taking a trip on May 29. You will still feel the pain, but you are starting to open yourself up to other possibilites in the world. The Baltic cruise is supposed to be wonderful. Try as hard as possible to feel well, along with feeling your grief! Tho not a husband, i have had a similar experience, and so have manyothers. That doesn't make it any less difficult, and sad for you, but should make you know you are not alone. I know you will get thru these terrible days, and you now have something completely different and stimulating to look forward to. My condolences, and best wishes for your future!

joseyP

My name is Heather and I am sailing alone on the Norwegian Breakaway to 9-day Scandinavia and Russia on May 29, 2018. I am sailing alone because my husband, who also loved cruising, just passed away on March 31. I am dying to get out of this house where it happened and find some source of distraction to (hopefully) provide at least some relief from this tragedy. I am staying in a studio. I know this cruise cannot erase my pain but I am hoping I may be distracted enough for it to help, if only a little.

Hello Heather, I am sorry to hear of your loss. You are making a very strong and positive decision to move forward. This will be a difficult time for you for awhile. The saying that time will help heal is very true although it doesn't feel that way now. Take your cruise and do not feel guilty about it. You are taking that first very difficult step forward. Find the roll call for your cruise and become an active participant on it. It will make your boarding the first day so much more fun for you. And it IS OK to have fun and enjoy the cruise. Make 1 friend and it will become 2, then 3, and before you know it you'll have a wonderful group to socialize with onboard. I wish you the best as you move forward.

Lynn

Hi Heather, my heartfelt condolences go out to you........hope you will find some peace on the cruise for a few days anyway.

Be well.

Booked my first solo cruise on Carnival Magic 7 day Western Caribbean on April 14, 2019. Cruises are not my husbands first choice, he would much rather do a land vacation while I love to cruise. So we will be doing a all inclusive next February and then I am going to do this cruise solo. As much as I enjoy travelling with my spouse I am really looking forward to this trip where I can do what I want when I want and not have to worry about anyone else's schedule.

Jim

I'm retiring on Monday and leaving for my first solo cruise at the end of April. I board Windstar's Star Legend May 24 for 27 days (a Japan to Seward Alaska ocean crossing followed by 14 days in Alaska.

It's also my first ocean crossing; our vacation cruises were always 7 to 8 days & usually just one sea day. So a big change but I'm looking forward to unwinding from 48 years of work.

My husband doesn't like to travel as much as I do so I've been on solo land trips before plus lots of solo business travel.

Sent from my Pixel using Forums mobile app

I'm retiring on Monday and leaving for my first solo cruise at the end of April. I board Windstar's Star Legend May 24 for 27 days (a Japan to Seward Alaska ocean crossing followed by 14 days in Alaska.

It's also my first ocean crossing; our vacation cruises were always 7 to 8 days & usually just one sea day. So a big change but I'm looking forward to unwinding from 48 years of work.

My husband doesn't like to travel as much as I do so I've been on solo land trips before plus lots of solo business travel.

Sent from my Pixel using Forums mobile app

Retiring Monday! how great, how exciting. Congratulations. Your trip sounds fascinating. I hope you enjoy it to the max. Best wishes for a wonderful retirement.

josey

Hi ! My name is Lorne. I am a "late-50's" married man from Toronto. My wife does not like to cruise and I love it (opposites attract, they say) so I have been on 7 cruises since 2007 on my own. I have now become used to Solo Cruising and started to like it. I enjoy meeting new people who also share my passion for cruise vacations. I did this same itinerary last year on Carnival Miracle and had a great time. For me it's not the itinerary that matters as much as just being on a cruise ship and I am really looking forward to being on the Splendor. Anyone thinking of joining us (the ship holds 3000) on January 4th?

Hi Lorne: I'm Bob. I'm considerably older than you however I find myself in the same predicament. My Wife wants to stay home and I want to go. I have not figured out the ins and outs of these message boards yet, so I'm giving you my email with the hope that we can chat by email and you can share with me some of your "Sans Wife" trips. Thanks in advance for your help. Bob. neumanrjn@gmail.com

I have cruised on the Miracle and the Splendor :) going back on the Splendor Sept. 8th 2018 :) Solo cruise .............https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DZaBLleVoAANCzP.jpg:large

GTV I have a few questions for you. My favorite ships are the Ruby and Crown Princess. It looks like the Crown is going to Europe for 2020 and the Ruby to Australia. The Star and the Emerald have needed refurbishing and I don't know what their status is or where they will be. It sounds like the Royal or the Regal will be on the west coast for the Mexico cruises but the schedules for 2020 aren't out yet. Those Royal and Regal may be more expensive since they are so new. Since I live in San Diego I've thought about trying HAL. Have the Oosterdam and Eurodam been updated in all their cabins to the new light neutral beige colors? How would you compare the 2 for experience? Since you also live in San Diego have you sailed either one out of here?

Lynn

GTV I have a few questions for you. My favorite ships are the Ruby and Crown Princess. It looks like the Crown is going to Europe for 2020 and the Ruby to Australia. The Star and the Emerald have needed refurbishing and I don't know what their status is or where they will be. It sounds like the Royal or the Regal will be on the west coast for the Mexico cruises but the schedules for 2020 aren't out yet. Those Royal and Regal may be more expensive since they are so new. Since I live in San Diego I've thought about trying HAL. Have the Oosterdam and Eurodam been updated in all their cabins to the new light neutral beige colors? How would you compare the 2 for experience? Since you also live in San Diego have you sailed either one out of here?

Lynn

I have cruised on the Ruby and the Crown , nice ships. I cruised on the Eurodam last May from San Diego to Vancouver and I cruised on the Oosterdam many times ,I like the Eurodam the best :)

I just got the last Studio Cabin on the NCL Breakaway Baltic Cruise on June 25,2018. Its my 30th birthday present to myself. My 2nd solo cruise (1st was NCL Epic Mediterranean over 2 years ago) and 15th overall.

I just got the last Studio Cabin on the NCL Breakaway Baltic Cruise on June 25,2018. Its my 30th birthday present to myself. My 2nd solo cruise (1st was NCL Epic Mediterranean over 2 years ago) and 15th overall.

Congratulations. it sounds great. Wish i could do a baltic cruise, but not yet! I have a transatlantic next month. You found cruising young. Hope you have a great time. You better start preparing for it. Make sure you get on your roll call.

joseyP

Just booked a 15-day round-trip Hawaii cruise for January 18 of next year on the Emerald Princess, at which time I'll be celebrating my retirement, which will happen at the end of this year! :D:D:D :D :D

CHEERS!!!![emoji483][emoji483][emoji483]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hello, my name is Tangela. I will be going on my first solo cruise April 29, on the dream. I'm a little apprehensive. Anyone else in here that will be on that one?

If it's NCL Breakaway out of Miami, I'll be on it as a first time solo cruiser. Hope my plane out of ORD has no problems as I'm alone and do not wish to spend all nite and morning alone in a hotel. Oh, I'm Jerry.

Just booked a 15-day round-trip Hawaii cruise for January 18 of next year on the Emerald Princess, at which time I'll be celebrating my retirement, which will happen at the end of this year! :D:D:D :D :D

CONGRATS:D.....I am sure you will have a wonderful cruise!