Solo Cruiser's Roll Call

42CruiseCrazy

5 minutes ago, Funky Fusion FoodsJ said:

You make it sound so tempting!!!

Come join the cruise!

It is not everyone's way of experiencing Antarctica but getting in and out of zodiacs and walking over uneven rocky shores and icy ground would not be the safest option for me. I know my physical limitations.

I think this will be like cruising Glacier Bay in Alaska BUT on steroids!!!! and we both LOVED it there.

At least I'll be able to say I've been to Antarctica! I have read from 2022 there will be no more large ships allowed - that just cruise by - only small expedition ships/boats.

1 minute ago, Sundaysipper said:

Come join the cruise!

It is not everyone's way of experiencing Antarctica but getting in and out of zodiacs and walking over uneven rocky shores and icy ground would not be the safest option for me. I know my physical limitations.

I think this will be like cruising Glacier Bay in Alaska BUT on steroids!!!! and we both LOVED it there.

At least I'll be able to say I've been to Antarctica! I have read from 2022 there will be no more large ships allowed - that just cruise by - only small expedition ships/boats.

Wow!!!  I have to say you're almost talking me into it!

34 minutes ago, Funky Fusion FoodsJ said:

Ive done some solos, this year to Cuba and had a blast...then to Greece and Italy and not so much fun!

The Mediterranean is another place we would like to cruise too.

We are both counting down the days until we do a 12 day South Pacific Cruise two days after Christmas, sailing on Radiance of the Seas. Looking forward to visiting five islands!

Norwegian Gem vs Norwegian Bliss for Solo Travelers

Hi everyone. Solo traveler, going on my 2nd cruise, and debating on NCL Bliss vs NCL Gem.

I wanted to see if anyone had any solo experiences on either.

A little about myself. I prefer shows/entertainment over what's the best food. I'm more likely to go to bed really late and enjoying nightlife than waking up early to see the sun rise. Age 36

I had previously been on the Breakaway and had a GREAT time on my first cruise, which was also a solo cruise. I really enjoyed the solo get togethers. Does Gem have those?

I have to make a decision tomorrow afternoon (11/13) so I'm throwing it out there hoping to get some last minute replies from solo travelers that have done both. I have a courtesy hold on one but am strongly considering doing the one I don't have as well. 

Thank you everyone for your help with this!

I've been on the Bliss and loved the Studio cabin/lounge setup.  It's also a beautiful ship with two great Broadway-quality shows plus multiple bands and Prohibition (for $35).  I did a Pacific Coastal on the Bliss in April and went back for a Mexican Riviera this Fall, though in a balcony on the second one due to the minimal cost difference.  I actually had an absolute BLAST the second time, though the first one was pretty good also or I wouldn't have gone back.  The Bliss also has some great public areas to hang out in if you want to be outside the Studio "complex".  

9 hours ago, thatspodcastingjim said:

Norwegian Gem vs Norwegian Bliss for Solo Travelers

Hi everyone. Solo traveler, going on my 2nd cruise, and debating on NCL Bliss vs NCL Gem.

I wanted to see if anyone had any solo experiences on either.

A little about myself. I prefer shows/entertainment over what's the best food. I'm more likely to go to bed really late and enjoying nightlife than waking up early to see the sun rise. Age 36

I had previously been on the Breakaway and had a GREAT time on my first cruise, which was also a solo cruise. I really enjoyed the solo get togethers. Does Gem have those?

I have to make a decision tomorrow afternoon (11/13) so I'm throwing it out there hoping to get some last minute replies from solo travelers that have done both. I have a courtesy hold on one but am strongly considering doing the one I don't have as well. 

Thank you everyone for your help with this!

I have sailed on the Bliss (Panama Canal Full transit). and on the Gem (many many times to the Caribbean).  The Gem is smaller,  does not have as many activities. (no laser tag, no go carts,  no huge water slides,    no solo cabins.   It does have a solo meet up each night, and what happens is more a function of the "solo host" than anything else.   On both ships they will set up dinner reservations,  sometimes show reservations.   The Gem does not have the full length broadway shows,   It has musical reviews, and smaller acts:  comedian, tribute bands, singers.    sometimes a hypnotist, often an aerial show.   That being said,  it depends what you are looking for.  More parties on the Bliss I would guess,  but that also depends upon who is on board.    I really like the spinnaker lounge on the gem,  it isn't as "busy" as the observation lounge on the Bliss,  not as big either,  and no food served there.   The Gem is generally my favorite ship,  however the grandeur of the Bliss is amazing.   and the decor is far more tasteful.

I’m doing two solo cruises, nearly b2b. Am I crazy, no I just love to cruise, nothing quite as relaxing as being out in the wide open water, so whose going with me?

serenade of the sea 11/18 for 11 nite southern Caribbean then harmony of the seas 12/1 just a few days after we return ! I can’t wait to see all harmony has to offer! I am so done with winter temps and ready for Caribbean sunshine!! Whose with me?

On 11/13/2019 at 11:21 AM, squick64 said:

I'm doing this next year! How was it? Do you have any recommendations as far as the ports?

I did this cruise and had an excellent time.   Many of the ports were changed, but there was a great group on the ship, and we had a very good time.

On 11/26/2019 at 9:24 AM, runner15km said:

Eighth solo coming up Dec 08 2019 MSC Meraviglia. Booked 17 days before sailing $ 407 for a Balcony ! The deals are out there, just takes time finding them. 

Wow! I have to try last minute! I'm going on my second solo 1/2/20 Princess to Panama, but I've planned for months, lol.