Best cruise line for me?

Winkster

At the grand old age of 41, I've just completed my first cruise (P&O's Aurora - Central Med) and fear I may have been bitten by the cruising bug.

I loved the slightly more "formal" feel of P&O (more formal than what, I don't know as I have nothing to compare it to - but I liked it!) and loved the ship size (1,950 passengers). I also loved the lack of kids.

The only thing I'd like to change is the age range of passengers. I'd often look around me and realise that, even at 41, I was half the age of many of those around me. Although we had a great time and got on really well with our more "mature" fellow passengers, I was wondering if a different cruise line may offer the same quality and style, the same lack of kids, but a younger average age of passenger.

I realise cruising has never really been the obvious choice for the young whippersnapper but I'd love to try a Caribbean cruise next (which I hear often appeals to a slightly younger crowd anyway as some older folk are but off by the flights).

Any suggestions for my ideal cruise line and ship? Relaxed yet slightly formal, more adult orientated, no "party scenes" (but good bars are a plus!), great food, great service and about 2,000 passengers.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!!

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

At the grand old age of 41, I've just completed my first cruise (P&O's Aurora - Central Med) and fear I may have been bitten by the cruising bug.

I loved the slightly more "formal" feel of P&O (more formal than what, I don't know as I have nothing to compare it to - but I liked it!) and loved the ship size (1,950 passengers). I also loved the lack of kids.

The only thing I'd like to change is the age range of passengers. I'd often look around me and realise that, even at 41, I was half the age of many of those around me. Although we had a great time and got on really well with our more "mature" fellow passengers, I was wondering if a different cruise line may offer the same quality and style, the same lack of kids, but a younger average age of passenger.

I realise cruising has never really been the obvious choice for the young whippersnapper but I'd love to try a Caribbean cruise next (which I hear often appeals to a slightly younger crowd anyway as some older folk are but off by the flights).

Any suggestions for my ideal cruise line and ship? Relaxed yet slightly formal, more adult orientated, no "party scenes" (but good bars are a plus!), great food, great service and about 2,000 passengers.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!!

welcome to Cruise Critic and the wonderful world of cruising. You are more than 'bitten' - you might have become addicted ;)

My husband and I started cruising at around 50. We like Celebrity - can still be an older crowd especially for longer cruises. But it has that upscale elegance you seem to like, as well as great food and service. There are many activities, but you don't get the barage of announcements - no hairy chest or belly flop contests. Celebrity has wonderful bars. There are families and kids but not as many as RCCL, Carnival, etc.

The M Class (Millenium, Summit, Constellation, Infinity) are in the low 2000s for passengers; the Century is a little smaller than the M-Class.

If you want younger passengers, they will come with kids.

We started sailing on Princess when I was 43 and have loved them. We like the longer cruises to the exotic parts of the world. This year we will hit all the continents except Antarctica and we could have taken an excursion there earlier this year. Princess has two small ships (680 passengers) and another 5 with just under 2,000.

Great - thank you both!

I get your point about a younger crowd coming with kids. Given a choice, I'd actuallt prefer an older crowd than more kids (the older crowd know how to behave!).

Alternatively, would it be wrong just to chuck any screaming kids we come across overboard?

Any thoughts?

Thanks!!

Hi, I am your age and from the UK and would not choose P&O because of the age and a couple of other factors

NCL is out as it doesn't do the formal scene you are looking for RCCL do but have lots of parties and parades.

We love Celebrity, the solstice class ships are bigger than you are looking for but so relaxed with a lawn on the top deck and more upper class entertainment - jazz, string quarter and formal nights. Food is great too bit have a good few interesting bars. The Eclipse sails out of Southampton.

The smaller ships, millenium, century etc have been modernised to match the solstice class ships and you will need to fly for them.

Glad you got the bug, it is great fun

be aware that the drinks prices are lower on P&O than most other ships so include it in your budget

If you want Caribbean you will get the most choices with Celebrity. Celebrity is not as formal as Cunard but have more selections for Caribbean sailing. Next in formality would likely be Holland America which also had numerous fall to spring Caribbean itineraries.

Thanks dorisis - although I'm not sure we want a "young and lively" crowd, just younger than coffin-dodger (sorry!!).

I'm starting to realise I'm very hard to please!

I think you will find that Cunard has an older passenger demographic as well (but few kids, especially on cruises greater than a week during school session).

I've cruised mostly on Cunard, and I'm not all that old (mid-50s), but my observation has been that I'm definitely below the average age. Not That There's Anything Wrong With That (as Jerry Seinfeld used to say).

I've only done a 1-week summertime cruise on Princess but if you want a somewhat younger crowd in a setting less formal than Cunard you might look into Princess. Some ships are in the 2000 passenger range although most are larger.

You're a difficult customer! I was thinking Cunard, too, but there again....it isn't known for younger people.

If you go to the Caribbean with P&O, you'll have to be on the 2 vast ships, which are family friendly....BUT- the rules of taking children out of school become very strict in September, so if you keep away from half term, or the major holidays, that might work. The great thing about Caribbean with P&O is that they have an inclusive fly/cruise price, which is normally better than buying your own flight, plus you stay on board until your plane home has landed, so have much of an extra day on board.

Check whether Cunard are doing a transatlantic to NY, followed by a Carib cruise, which might be too long away from work.

If you take an American ship, you know about paying for a visa waiver-around $14- if you touch an American port even in the Carb, I suppose....

Celebrity might be right for you- and have you checked out Aurora's first section of her Worldie?

Enjoy choosing!;)

Check whether Cunard are doing a transatlantic to NY, followed by a Carib cruise, which might be too long away from work.
I believe the next such Cunard cruise is the Caribbean Celebration holiday cruise, leaving Southampton on Dec 15; either 19 days to get off in New York on Jan 3, or 26 days to return to Soton on Jan 10. You could also fly to NYC and board on the 22nd.

Otherwise Cunard does very little in the Caribbean.

Archived