Tipping on HAL - who gets what

Just to be perfectly clear and to avoid flaming etc., I'm not planning on removing my tips and will probably give out more to staff who have gone above and beyond.

Having said that, does anyone know exactly who gets what from my $11.50/day?

I think my cabin steward gets $4/day which is fair.

I rarely eat in the MDR so was wondering where my meal portions go.

Thanks Shar

Yes -- your cabin stewards get about $4 of the $11.50/$12. The main cabin steward gets more than his assistant.

No matter whether you eat in the dining room or not, they staff there also get about $4 to be divided between the main waiter and the assistant -- both in fixed and open seating.

The couple of dollars that is left is divided between all the "behind" the scenes crew -- laundry, cooks, people you see polishing around the ship, etc.

When you buy wine, cocktails, bottled water, sodas, specialty coffees and teas -- those bills will have a 15% gratuity added on to them which will be divided among the bar staff.

Eventhough you don't eat in MDR, you do eat on the ship. The Hotel Service Charge portion that goes to dining stewards applies to all the stewards who serve us food throughout all the food venues on the ship. Often we see a steward who works MDR for dinner working in Lido at breakfast or lunch. They move all over the ship, where needed.

Wherever you choose to eat on the ship, the staff will get a portion of your HSC whether you dine there or not.

I'm not sure the HSC is done fairly, but that's the way it is set up. We have nothing to say about it. Cabin Stewards are the hardest working crew on the ship and are entitled to an additional cash tip, which we are always happy to give them.

Some portion of the HSC goes to the housekeepers who we see wiping the banisters, cleaning up a mess someone dropped in Lido, a small portion to Pinnacle staff and some to the bakers. We are told portion of the HSC goes to 'behind the scenes' crew.

I believe the amount any individual draws from the pool depends more on their title and seniority than specifically where they work. Some senior cabin stewards may get more than the average and others less, etc. Just like in any business.

Eventhough you don't eat in MDR, you do eat on the ship. The Hotel Service Charge portion that goes to dining stewards applies to all the stewards who serve us food throughout all the food venues on the ship. Often we see a steward who works MDR for dinner working in Lido at breakfast or lunch. They move all over the ship, where needed.

This is a good point. We may not understand the how and why of tip distribution, but neither do we know all of the different jobs they do.

Being kind and considerate of the workers is also a nice way to "tip" and make their lives better.

If you wish to see a surprised reaction, try giving something extra to the Yummy Yummy man, the person polishing the stair rails or other similar crew.

Or the beautiful little gal cleaning the restrooms in the gym during a code red!! The smile and surprise is well worth a few dollars.:D

Archived