Using my own gluten free pasta in the Lido

richarduk

I think a few people are not remembering something. First of all I have never seen a big queue, in fact even any queue at a pasta station. I think I had one person in front and one behind me once. That aside, as far as I have seen, everyone's pasta is cooked to order there and then. That's what I've seen on two ships. In those circumstances I don't see how that makes waiting times longer. Even if this did cause delays, that's HAL current strategy i.e. to go fetch your pasta, get a pan and cook it! So nobody is asking for anything other than how HAL want it. The question about bringing my own, if allowed, would actually speed up that process considerably. Like I've said already, I'll stick to salad!

Richard, things tend to get out of hand here on this board with everyone being an expert:rolleyes: But am I guessing right from your CC handle you are from the UK?, that might be where you a bit of disadvantage with contact with HAL maybe not. What I suggest you do is request either from HAL and or your TA to contact Ship Services giving them the name of the packaged product you wish to bring and also explain what happened last time when you requested this so to give a back up why you are requesting to be able to bring on your own for preparation. I am aware of cases like this getting approved. It does however need to be approved by the Officers on the ship in advance. I would not give up, I agree at the pasta station it is rare to see a line :D It is not like the omelet station in the morning and or getting burgers out by the pool. You will just need to get it approved in advance and when you get on board will need to meet with someone to give them the boxed pasta to have in the Lido for you. But again you have to have it preapproved they could turn you down but there is a far better chance every thing will turn out smoothly or should I say tasty :)

Those days are long gone.

On our first Alaska cruise, on Royal Viking, my husband caught three great big salmon, and the chef prepared them for our dinner table.

I understand that once upon a time HAL did that, too. I understand the practice was stopped when a passenger started a ruckus because the fish being served were not the exact ones he had caught.

I don't know how he could tell the difference, and I don't know if the story is true. What I do know is that the question has been asked, and that is probably what you are remembering.

On our first cruise as a family (back when dinosaurs roamed the earth) on Princess (really in the early 90s), my husband went on a deep sea fishing excursion out of Mazatlan and caught a huge wahoo. The chef prepared it and served it whole on a big platter to our table. It was beautiful! We and all our tablemates enjoyed our dinner, and sent the remainder - and there was a lot! - back for the crew to share. It was a lovely experience ... guess it kind of illustrates how much cruising has changed over the years.

I think a few people are not remembering something. First of all I have never seen a big queue, in fact even any queue at a pasta station. I think I had one person in front and one behind me once. That aside, as far as I have seen, everyone's pasta is cooked to order there and then. That's what I've seen on two ships. In those circumstances I don't see how that makes waiting times longer. Even if this did cause delays, that's HAL current strategy i.e. to go fetch your pasta, get a pan and cook it! So nobody is asking for anything other than how HAL want it. The question about bringing my own, if allowed, would actually speed up that process considerably. Like I've said already, I'll stick to salad!

The pasta in the lido is precooked and is rewarmed in the hot water at the station after you make your order. The pasta chef rewarms your selected shape of pasta for a minute or two in the hot water , and/or in a skillet, and then plates it up with the sauce of your choice. You would have to add the entire cooking time for your private stock, which would probably average about 9 to 12 minutes, versus the couple minutes rewarm time noted above for regular service.

This has been our experience on the Odam, Veendam,Volendam, Prinsendam and Maasdam.

The pasta in the lido is precooked and is rewarmed in the hot water at the station after you make your order. The pasta chef rewarms your selected shape of pasta for a minute or two in the hot water , and/or in a skillet, and then plates it up with the sauce of your choice. You would have to add the entire cooking time for your private stock, which would probably average about 9 to 12 minutes, versus the couple minutes rewarm time noted above for regular service.

This has been our experience on the Odam, Veendam,Volendam, Prinsendam and Maasdam.

That was exactly my experience on Eurodam and Volendam, too. Pre-cooked pasta, re-heated. No individual cooking.

On Volendam on my cruise, the pasta station was not separate, but was in the middle of a line for other foods. Any delay in getting your pasta would have inconvenienced everyone else in the line.

I applaud the OP for wanting to look after his health, but I do think he is expecting a bit much in this instance. From travelling with a daughter who is vegan, I know that she had to "make do" with what was available in the Lido - the main dining room did make individual meals for her, but only when requested a day in advance.

One more thing: HAL gives no priority for special diets for health reasons over special diets for lifestyle choices - both are treated the same way.

I have seen the same procedure on Maasdam, Eurodam, Nieuw Amsterdam, Oosterdam and Westerdam on our last how many cruises.

(I always ask them to skip the fry pan part as they add oil at that point and I don't want the oil. :o ) They put the pasta iin the hot water, drain and serve mine with sauce at that point.

Thanks for ALL the responses, however my question in some cases is being forgotten.

. . . . (content snipped)

Here are the true facts of what SHOULD happen.

1. I turn up at the lido and ask for gluten free spaghetti

2. They retrieve it

3. They cook it in a separate pan of water

4 They give it to me, nobody else, no risk.

. . . . (snip)

That's what SHOULD happen.

You have described what you would like to happen, not what should happen. And not what is most likely to happen.

I think that the consensus of opinion on this thread is that you will be unlikely to get what you want, in this instance.

Maybe you'll have to go without pasta for the duration of the cruise (or request it in advance for your evening meal).

Perhaps, you could have all the ingredients ready, so that you can have pasta for your first meal when you get home? Something to look forward to, to help cure the post-cruise blues?

As for the comments regarding that if HAL allowed me to bring such items, everyone would jump on the band wagon, that's just unrealistic. Mine is a health need. It's just pasta.

The flaw in this theory is that pasta itself is not a health NEED for you. You can go without it for the duration of your cruise. Or forever. The fact that you would like to eat your own pasta on your cruise does not make pasta a health need. And the fact that if you eat pasta, you need to eat gluten-free pasta, still does not convert the pasta consumption itself into a health NEED.

The fact that you don't feel you could provide the kitchen staff with one day's notice, and feel you should be able to get your own gluten-free pasta prepared to order whenever you "fancy a quick spaghetti", is a further indication that pasta consumption itself is not a health need for you. I'm sure there are plenty of gluten-free selections available.

Still I would encourage you to contact HAL itself and see what they say, since you're getting conflicting responses here. I'd be sure to mention that it is "shop-packaged" pasta as opposed to a national brand packaged pasta. HAL might accept the latter but not the former.

I hope you enjoy your cruise!

After reading Lisa's post, I think what the bottom line is you need to coordinate through HAL corporate for a couple of reasons:

They need to make sure that you are not asking them to violate the rules that they need to follow from the health inspectors. There is no way the the staff onboard knows all the politics or policiies that affect a cruise line. The staff onboard will do everything to please but it might violate some policy somewhere that gets the cruise line in violation.

and

That you need/want this accomodation badly enough to put some effort into it. HAL will be spending alot for effort and changing procedures for you. Do you really need/want it or is it a whim??? If there is not a barrier to prohibit whims, them all the previous posters saying their religion requires lobster, etc. would be the norm on the ships.

OP, I think you will need to plan ahead that is just the nature of mass market travel. JMHO

Those days are long gone.

On our first Alaska cruise, on Royal Viking, my husband caught three great big salmon, and the chef prepared them for our dinner table.

I understand that once upon a time HAL did that, too. I understand the practice was stopped when a passenger started a ruckus because the fish being served were not the exact ones he had caught.

Good point. I remember that for a while, auto mechanics would return the old parts to prove that they actually performed the service. It is easy to get burned on both sides of a business deal.

Getting back to the thread, Celiac disease seems to be real and those people need to be very cautious to avoid gluten. In such a case, it would be best to simply know that the chef had appropriate gluten-free products on hand and would be willing to show the person with Celiac disease the authenticity of the labels.

Otherwise, there is no proof at this time that people should want to avoid gluten.

Good point. I remember that for a while, auto mechanics would return the old parts to prove that they actually performed the service. It is easy to get burned on both sides of a business deal.

Getting back to the thread, Celiac disease seems to be real and those people need to be very cautious to avoid gluten. In such a case, it would be best to simply know that the chef had appropriate gluten-free products on hand and would be willing to show the person with Celiac disease the authenticity of the labels.

Otherwise, there is no proof at this time that people should want to avoid gluten.

Yes, coeliac disease is real. There is also a blood test that can be performed, to see if you are gluten-intolerant.

However, there are also a lot of people who decide for themselves that they are gluten-intolerant and who choose to eat gluten-free as a lifestyle choice.

Currently, to be gluten-free is a bit of a "fad". While this does mean that gluten-free foods are more readily available in stores, it does also mean that people who have a genuine, medical need to be gluten-free are sometimes dismissed as being just "precious". I think that's a shame!

Yes, coeliac disease is real. There is also a blood test that can be performed, to see if you are gluten-intolerant.

However, there are also a lot of people who decide for themselves that they are gluten-intolerant and who choose to eat gluten-free as a lifestyle choice.

Currently, to be gluten-free is a bit of a "fad". While this does mean that gluten-free foods are more readily available in stores, it does also mean that people who have a genuine, medical need to be gluten-free are sometimes dismissed as being just "precious". I think that's a shame!

Well, yeah. I agree with your comments. I'm guessing the larger point is that just as customers (cruisers) expect quality service from the employees of HAL, there should be some reciprocity. If a great many or even most cruisers insist on something uniquely-defined and personal from the kitchen and kitchen staff, economies of scale fall by the wayside. I can see additionall care for people that need Halal food or vegan food or kosher food or safe-keeping from high sodium or even peanut allergies. Yet asking the kitchen staff to isolate a certain boiling pot and certain pasta for one particular cruiser is really a step in the direction of service from a small, boutique cruise company.

I ask this with genuine curiousity and nothing more but I wonder........

do any hotels or restaurants you know accomodate by cooking pasta you provide when you are in their establishments?

I may be woefully ill informed but I have never heard of anything like that.

Some restaurants do allow you to take your own, but that is a small minority. Others (still a minority but growing) offer gluten free pasta. That's a really simple thing in my book, to keep a couple of different gluten free pastas in a store cupboard....and that is one of my gripes with HAL. It's just a packet or two in a store for all to access. Simple. I know I'm focusing on pasta, but it seems that it's ok to ask for a gluten free bread roll in the Lido and not hold up a queue. I ask, what's the difference? I can feel the can or worms being prised open once more!

Now, there have been some very helpful responses on here. Some FAR less, and to be blunt, way off topic.

Also, I keep seeing the word "whim" banded about on here:(

Allow me to be crystal clear. Mine is not a lifestyle choice and certainly NOT a whim. I have a severe gluten intolerance, but I still enjoy gluten free pasta. Imagine if I wanted that on holiday!

If I eat wheat gluten I have abdominal pain with about 30 mins. A few hours after, and especially the next day, my whole body is swollen. I have a fatter face and put on approx. 4-5 inches around my normal 36 ins waist. I sneeze. My breathing is more laboured. That's NOT a whim. It's very uncomfortable.

This thread now seems to be mostly a talking point. As I have stated more than once that I'm not going to take anything for the crew to prepare.

My cruise is next month therefore I don't have the required advance notice, according to HAL, to get anything ordered via them.

My other valid point was that when I HAVE given them notification previously, the products I ordered were either completely unavailable or just very difficult to obtain whilst onboard.

Allow me to be crystal clear. Mine is not a lifestyle choice and certainly NOT a whim.
You certainly can choose to forgo pasta for the length of a cruise ... and the whim part is referring to your bringing it to the Lido without advance notice:
It's really disappointing when you fancy a quick spaghetti but you can't get it as you haven't requested it the day before!!

In my honest opinion, I don't believe it is whimsical to fancy having usually widely available gluten free pasta at a pasta station without giving one day notice.

Why should it take a whole day's notice to obtain the pasta from a different area of this ship. I mean......1 day!

I don't expect to just turn up and get it there and then. I'm not unreasonable, however ,I think they need to be more realistic, like give them an hour, for example, or whatever suits the crew.

Last time on Nieuw Amsterdam I DID finally request it the day before. They had to cook it separately, obviously. Now, all that was done within HAL's current guidelines. They actually needlessly extended mine and others waiting times by not having the ordered pasta more readily to hand, as it still took about 20 mins to retrieve the pasta that had been ordered the day before!

If they had at least one variation of GF pasta in the immediate vicinity it would help both customers AND themselves.

AND THIS was the reason for my initial question "Can I take my own?". It would have been quicker for all.

THE END:D

I may be wrong, but I seem to recall being asked if we had any dietary/health issues when checking in (on-line) and a plate of snacks turning up daily in our stateroom as one of us is diabetic - or was this with another cruiseline?

Archived