Seagulls

izzypooch

I know this isn't just exclusive to Carnival and I know things will never change so basically this is just a rant.

I just got back from the Ecstasy which had port days in Freeport and Nassau. Inevitably there was alway someone at the tables out back or to the sides of the Lido Buffet feeding the seagulls thus making it impossible (because of the real fear of getting pooped on) for anyone to enjoy those tables. Not to mention the mess the poor crew has to go through cleaning tables and chairs and deck every day. It even makes sitting in Serenity one deck below "iffy"

So please, I know it's fun for the kiddos or a good photo op, but have some consideration for your fellow passengers and refrain from creating the seagull frenzy. You may be done eating but others are just arriving.

Maybe Carnival could put up some signage and reprimand people who do it?

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Saw that happening as we were sailing away from Charlotte Amalie in St.Thomas.

Gulls-901.jpg

Someone up forward on the Port side was obviously feeding the gulls

and there were swarms of them all around!

Sometimes the gulls just help themselves to the food. I've witnessed this several times when people leave their trays with food on the table, they get up to get a drink and come back to find their food devoured by the gulls. They are scavengers and they do what scavengers do. I saw two boys dousing bread with Tabasco sauce and feeding the gulls....I did say something to them.

Signs don't help.

I live in Tampa, where there are signs every place you encounter gulls, but there is always some doofus feeding them nonetheless.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Cruise Critic App

Agreed its illegal to feed the birds in Florida. Wish they would ticket the dofus. Nothing more than annoying pigeons. But parents let the kids just feed away, guess they let them break other laws as well? Here son hit this joint????

I thought I did see signs on Fantasy.

I love eating outside the buffet on the Fantasy-class ships. And, yes, invariably, some twit will be feeding the winged rats.

I've been known to yell at people to stop. :mad:

And if I see someone about to head inside for that beverage, I warn them that the gulls will get their food.

On the Breeze inaugural, I was eating a slice of pizza during sailaway...I had a small piece of crust left and as I brought it up to my mouth, a seagull grabbed it from my hand mid bite!

Yea my wife had a half of sandwich taken right off her plate.

I grew up at the shore. And, anyone who grew up at the shore knows never to feed seagulls or pigeons because they will repay you in a most unpleasant way. But, I think some tourists from inland areas (where there are no seagulls) may think that feeding the birds is cute, especially for their children. It is not that gulls are inherently bad, it's just that they have grown accustomed to humans and associate humans with food. For this reason, they have abandoned their natural hunting instinct (why bother) and have become scavengers (the pickings are better for less work). And, who can blame them.

Archived