Question about upgrades

On our last cruise, RCCL upgraded us from an outside to a balcony. It was great because we were going to Alaska. We just booked a promenade room on the Navigator out of Galveston for next Easter. If RCCL decides to upgrade us again will it only be to an outside or will it be higher? I told my husband there is no rhyme or reason to the way they upgrade.

On our last cruise, RCCL upgraded us from an outside to a balcony. It was great because we were going to Alaska. We just booked a promenade room on the Navigator out of Galveston for next Easter. If RCCL decides to upgrade us again will it only be to an outside or will it be higher? I told my husband there is no rhyme or reason to the way they upgrade.

1. You said it yourself, it´s absolutely random

2. It´s a big "IF" you are upgraded again

3. From Promenade everything above is an upgrade, so oceanview would be an upgrade. What you would get IF (see#2) you are upgraded again is non predictable see #1

I'll not get too deep into it, but I was once told that if you were given an upgrade to a balcony, than the expectation, based upon your demographics, is that you will continue booking balconies on your own....

We received an upgrade to a GS on our 2nd RCI Cruise, many years ago....we have stayed in a GS ever since....

Once, at a Captain's reception for Suite guests, I shared the experience with the Hotel Director - Officer....he smiled and said their research and methods for upgrades do work......they do know what they're doing, that's what they get paid for.....

Originally Posted by cruisnseas (who used to work for RCI) on 12/3/2012

Royal Caribbean has three types of upgrades (excluding you upgrading yourself by paying full fare for the category)

1. C&A Upgrade. These are done by Loyalty. They receive a list of rooms they can upgrade members to from Revenue. They then gather a list of members on the particular cruise and rank them by Cruise Points. Price paid is not considered. Category booked is considered when deciding which upgrade to offer. If two members have the same C&A Cruise Points then they look at who booked first and who paid more.

2. Revenue Upgrade. These are upgrades because we oversold a category or because we have suites going empty. Revenue needs your room and will offer you an upgrade (sometimes it is free, sometimes at a discount). C&A status is NOT considered here. They look at category booked, when it was booked and the price that was paid.

3. GTY Upgrade. This is when you book an inside guarantee and get berthed into an oceanview or you book an oceanview guarantee and get berthed into a balcony, etc. This is due to lack of availability within the category booked. This is done by Revenue. C&A Status is not considered. It is based on berthing availability at the time your room is assigned

Royal Caribbean has three types of upgrades (excluding you upgrading yourself by paying full fare for the category)

1. C&A Upgrade. These are done by Loyalty. They receive a list of rooms they can upgrade members to from Revenue. They then gather a list of members on the particular cruise and rank them by Cruise Points. Price paid is not considered. Category booked is considered when deciding which upgrade to offer. If two members have the same C&A Cruise Points then they look at who booked first and who paid more.

2. Revenue Upgrade. These are upgrades because we oversold a category or because we have suites going empty. Revenue needs your room and will offer you an upgrade (sometimes it is free, sometimes at a discount). C&A status is NOT considered here. They look at category booked, when it was booked and the price that was paid.

3. GTY Upgrade. This is when you book an inside guarantee and get berthed into an oceanview or you book an oceanview guarantee and get berthed into a balcony, etc. This is due to lack of availability within the category booked. This is done by Revenue. C&A Status is not considered. It is based on berthing availability at the time your room is assigned

Thanks for the info. I am crossing my fingers will get an upgrade from a JS to a GS on our next two cruises we have booked. There are still lots of GS's available.

We sailded on the Rhapsody in July of 2011 out of Seattle for an Alaskan cruise. We had booked a balcony stateroom and got upgraded, at the pier, to a junior suite.

We mentioned this to our travel agent, who was a bit surprised. Normally, if RC upgrades a client, RC lets her know. So, the upgrade must have made shortly before passengers started checking in.

Our agent thinks that RC also does upgrades, in part, based on the volume of business that a travel agency generates. Her agency does book a lot of cruises on RC, so she thinks that had something to do with our upgrade.

The interesting thing is that our junior suite was not being filled due to being empty. It had been booked, since their beverage packages and excurision tickets were still in the stateroom. On top of that, their upgrade wasn't noticed at check-in, in that they were trying to open the door, while my wife was unpacking.

They were livid that their stateroom had been given away, and that they didn't know about it. I felt sorry for the person at the purser's desk who had to deal with them.

I don't believe this for a minute. I know pinnacle members who never get upgrades and they certainly have a lot of cruise points.

I don't believe this for a minute. I know pinnacle members who never get upgrades and they certainly have a lot of cruise points.

On our last 2 b2b's we've been called the week prior giving us the choice of an upgrade from our JS to a GS. We graciously declined each time because we had the same cabin for both cruises.

I will agree that the C&A upgrade is never done the way it is described above. It used to be prior to January 21, 2011.

Not to burst your bubble, but I wouldn't count on an upgrade again.

1) There seems to be little rhyme or reason to how they're given out, so the odds of scoring another one aren't great.

2) If it's true that they sometimes upgrade someone to entice them to book a higher category in the future, they can see that it didn't work with you; you booked a promenade cabin for the next time instead of the balcony you were previously upgraded to so I doubt they'd try again.

I wish #1 was true. We've never been upgraded and I know we were right at the top of the heap. I've given up and no longer consider loyalty points when booking cruises.

And Newbie cruisers who do get an upgrade....

That is just their official statement to keep the masses happy....does not mean they abide by it.

Archived