Belize ... Beaches?

PC Cruisin

We took an excursion to San Pedro and there were lots of beaches there. I think there are no real nice beaches near Belize City/terminal. It was just a 20 minute flight and there were shuttles every half hour or hour, quite easy to manage as on the island you are pretty much within 5 minutes at the airport :)

We took an excursion to San Pedro and there were lots of beaches there. I think there are no real nice beaches near Belize City/terminal. It was just a 20 minute flight and there were shuttles every half hour or hour, quite easy to manage as on the island you are pretty much within 5 minutes at the airport :)

Your advising someone to take a flight to go to the beach for a few hours and make it back in time to get back on the ship before it sails?

Your advising someone to take a flight to go to the beach for a few hours and make it back in time to get back on the ship before it sails?

It can be and has been done. Bit expensive though. Good snorkeling , fishing and diving off Ambergris Caye (San Pedro). Nice area to stroll around with good restaurants too. Just a whirlwind of a day though.

BTW There is a man made beach in Old Belize, Cucumber Beach, in a lagoon. About a 20 minute taxi ride. Made for locals and used primarily on weekends, but is usually open when cruise ships are in. Not the idealized Caribbean beach, but still a beach and probably cheaper to get to than taking an excursion to one of the Cayes.

In San Pedro I see on average one party a day flying from the ships. The flight is 15 min compared to 1.5 hour on the water taxi. It is a great flight to. You can see lots of the Cayes, The changing of the water from the river-fed brackish to a crystal clear blue. You might even see a shark or a ray.

And the flights are much more comfee than the boat.

I have been with the airlines in belize for five years and have never had any cruise guests miss their ship du to the planes.

cruisesweeper- Please tell me more about Cucumber beach. I have seen it on an Old Belize website, but I can't find out taxi rates and if it would be considered safe to taxi there.

I can't really opine on taxi rates. Under $20 would be my guess, based on fares from the airport. Relatively cheap though for Central America/Mexico. Maybe WadetheGringo can chime in as he lives in San Pedro and travels to Belize City a lot. However, a taxi to Old Belize City would generally be a safe ride, IMO.

cruisesweeper- Please tell me more about Cucumber beach. I have seen it on an Old Belize website, but I can't find out taxi rates and if it would be considered safe to taxi there.

Belize is the only port I have ever visited that I would say you need to book a tour. Once you get past the barbedwire and steel gate leaving the cruise ship area you will find yourself in a place where you will be hounded by the locals to take a private tour in their own personal car which I would never do you have no idea where they are going or what will happen to you, and you will also be offered drugs every few steps. I know their will be people on here who love Belize but I couldn't find a single person back on the ship who could understand why does the the cruise lines even stop there.

Because of the barrier reef there are no beaches per say that are near Belize City. I have done Goff's Cay which is beautiful, they picked us up from the ship and took us out there, dont think Carnival is doing that excursion anymore. There were listed the last time we went two beach break days, one on Bannister, and the other I cant remember. the last time we were there we went to the museum, put a little money in to the arts of the country.:)

and personally after walking around in town by ourselves, there is no way i would go in a cab to go to a beach. just mho

It can be and has been done. Bit expensive though. Good snorkeling , fishing and diving off Ambergris Caye (San Pedro). Nice area to stroll around with good restaurants too. Just a whirlwind of a day though.

BTW There is a man made beach in Old Belize, Cucumber Beach, in a lagoon. About a 20 minute taxi ride. Made for locals and used primarily on weekends, but is usually open when cruise ships are in. Not the idealized Caribbean beach, but still a beach and probably cheaper to get to than taking an excursion to one of the Cayes.

The OP wants a relaxing day.....Don't think they had a flight in mind

Archived