New Year's Eve Cruise

Special menu in the dining room

Hats and noisemakers

Balloon/confetti drop in the promenade

Parties all over the ship

Champagne at midnight

Those are the things we remember - but then there's a lot about New Years eve onboard that we don't remember:eek: Life's great when you aren't the one driving;)

We were on the Explorer last New Year's Eve and I have to say that they did a really nice job celebrating. They provided Hats and noisemakers, and there was champagne being passed in the prominade. There was a parade in the prominade and then the bands played . .. The countdown was great! Very crowded, but a lot of fun. I debated about spending the extra money for the NYE cruise, but I am glad I did.

And like any other activity, it is as much fun as you want to make it. My sister was traveling with us and she thought it was too crowded, and too noisy. She didn't like the champagne and thought the band was too loud. She was a real poop. I loved it.

I've done NYE on multiple lines, including Royal, and it was amazing each time. Just be aware that it's going to be quite a bit more expensive than usual as RC will charge a premium, and also that it's a major family crusie so there will be lots and lots of children (whether that's a plus for you or a minus, it's worth knowing in advance).

In addition to the above, you may be able to see fireworks- we did the Brilliance this past NY, and instead of leaving St. Maarten right away, the captain stuck around in the bay- so we could see the fireworks. It was very cool.

lots and lots of champagne.

I would totally do it again.

We did NYE on Explorer two years ago, and it was wonderful. Huge party in the promenade with jumbo screens showing the countdown in Times Square.

Someone mentioned the probability of a lot of kids/families, but that was definitely NOT the case on our cruise. Just a handful of children onboard. School in the Northeast resumed on January 2, so this was not considered a sailing during school holidays.

Someone mentioned the probability of a lot of kids/families, but that was definitely NOT the case on our cruise. Just a handful of children onboard.

We can confirm that... did the holiday cruise (xmas and NYE) on the Serenade in the Med last year... less children than usual. On the contrary - more elderly than we are used to.

We were on The Serenade in Europe for last Christmas and New Year. The ship was beautifully decorated and Father Christmas came for the kids. ( There were not a lot of them. ) Although we enjoyed the Christmas celebrations we wouldn't do it again. However New Year's Eve was a great party. Lots of Bon homie, hats necklaces and noise makers were issued to every one in the dining room. Great party at countdown time, free champagne and then the party continued. Must confess hubby and I missed New Year's Day! Would definitely do New Year again.

We were on The Serenade in Europe for last Christmas and New Year. The ship was beautifully decorated and Father Christmas came for the kids. ( There were not a lot of them. ) Although we enjoyed the Christmas celebrations we wouldn't do it again. However New Year's Eve was a great party. Lots of Bon homie, hats necklaces and noise makers were issued to every one in the dining room. Great party at countdown time, free champagne and then the party continued. Must confess hubby and I missed New Year's Day! Would definitely do New Year again.

I really liked that cruise and enjoyed a peaceful xmas on board... Just my wife and I, good food, nice decorations... No family :-)

We did Freedom for New Years the last 2 years and are doing it again. Lots of fun! A nice dinner in the MDR, hats, noise makers, champaign, parties, and a huge balloon drop on the Promenade. Crowded but fun. Everyone seemed dressed for the occasion. Obviously I find it well worth the extra cost.

Plus they show the bowl games on the big screen at the pool deck. Can't beat lounging on a ship in the Caribbean watching the Rose Bowl!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived