Question re documentation needed

A passport is required by the US for air travel FROM Mexico and Canada TO the US. Neither Mexico or Canada requires US citizens to have a passport to enter by any form of transportation, but you do have to have documentation to re-enter the US [which can be an Enhanced Driver's License for ground travel]. But lots of luck convincing a commercial airline agent to let you on a plane from the US to Mexico or Canada without a passport. Should be doable for private planes, but personally I'm still carrying my passport.

Thom

Posts like this just confuse people even more. You can repeatedly post this but no airline is going to let you fly to Mexico or Canada without a passport.

I am confused :o (sorry, but I'm probably just not reading this thread correctly). I've been married for 27 years - why would I need a marriage certificate if my DL name is my married name?

Just to clarify - since I have a DL with my married name and a passport with my married name, do I need to bring my marriage license? :confused:

You have a passport in your married name...that's the only documentation you need. The OP is cruising with a drivers license and birth certificate, not a passport, and the reason she needs to take her marriage license is as a bridge document to reconcile her maiden name on her BC with her married name on her DL.

Archived