Question re documentation needed

Hi

This is going to sound silly but I got nervous doing the check in, We are going on a cruise in 2 weeks, we do not have passports as they are not required for our sailing. My legal name is my married name (which my license has) however of course my birth certificate is my maiden name.

As long a I have my marriage license will I be ok?

Hi

This is going to sound silly but I got nervous doing the check in, We are going on a cruise in 2 weeks, we do not have passports as they are not required for our sailing. My legal name is my married name (which my license has) however of course my birth certificate is my maiden name.

As long a I have my marriage license will I be ok?

Yes that will be enough proof of who you really are.:)

You'll have absolutely no problem.

In the future however, you really should get a passport. Everyone should have one. It's the best form of identification, and you never know where in the world your adventures may take you!

You probably won't even need the marriage cert....no married woman's name is the same as her BC! They are looking at birthdate....that's all.

But if you have a copy of your marriage license take it with you! One time my sister was asked for a copy of her's...she did not have it with her..we'd never been asked before...I was holding my breath hoping she would not be denied boarding...she wasn't...but the rep said she really should have had it with her...next cruise she had a passport!!

Im assuming this is the NEW ENGLAND CRUISE? Or Alaska not going to VC? all airplanes require them dont they?

But if you have a copy of your marriage license take it with you! One time my sister was asked for a copy of her's...she did not have it with her..we'd never been asked before...I was holding my breath hoping she would not be denied boarding...she wasn't...but the rep said she really should have had it with her...next cruise she had a passport!!

If your flying they will require a Passport, also should you need to fly home from a Port, it is a requierment. One never knows what may happen and to be in a foreign Port without one could cause problems.

A passport is not required to fly within the U.S. All that is necessary, is a federal or state photo I.D.

A passport is not required to fly within the U.S. All that is necessary' date=' is a federal or state photo I.D.[/quote']

I believe the poster was referring to the possibilty that one could have ome sort of medical issue while in a foreign port, could miss the ship, and would have trouble flying home from the foreign port without a passport.

Hi LittleBud, your right, ctcruiser was talking about not having a Passport for cruising, I was merely letting them know should they ever be cruising and for whatever reason find themselves in a position they have to fly home and don't have one it could cause a problem since your airlines require one.

You probably won't even need the marriage cert....no married woman's name is the same as her BC! .

Except for those married women who elect to retain their maiden name, which really isn't that rare a situation, despite the OPs claim to the contrary.:rolleyes: If you have your marriage certificate, take it with you. The chances are good that it won't be required but better safe than sorry.

You probably won't even need the marriage cert.

It would not be a very smart move to chance it on a "probably wont need" it.

Just as sure as the OP didnt take the marriage license she would be asked for it so its MUCH better to take it with her. It really depends on how thorough the agent is thats checking her in. I recall watching a show about Oasis and a female passenger WAS going to be denied boarding for this very same reason. She was able to get it faxed to the port agent just in time.

Im assuming this is the NEW ENGLAND CRUISE? Or Alaska not going to VC? all [international] airplanes require them dont they?
To be strictly technical you are not required to have a passport to fly to Canada, as Canada has no law requiring US citizens to have a passport for entry. Canada does require adequate documentation for onward travel, which means that if you FLY back to the US you will have to have your passport since passports are required by the US for people arriving by plane [there are a few minor exceptions to this rule, but in general they do not apply to US citizens]. IF you are in possession of a Passport Card or Enhanced Driver's License and are returning to the US by ground you are meeting the letter of applicable laws. HOWEVER I'd be amazed if you could convence the airline agent that this was legal. Bottom line: carry your passport or be prepared to be denied boarding the plane to Canada.

Thom

Prior to getting a passport, my mom sailed twice with Royal Caribbean. I had read about married women occasionally being asked for their marriage certificate and insisted that she take it even though a friend of hers said she wouldn't need it. She brought it with her and was asked to show it. The second sailing, she had it but was not asked for it. My advice is bring an original or certified copy of the marriage certificate. Better to have it than not.

If we fly within the US, we never take ours, however to fly into Canada or Mexico yes. It is not so much getting into Canada, but coming back out into the States again. By having the passport for such travels it really expedites the process.

A passport is required for air travel to Mexico and Canada.

I would take your marriage certificate with you just in case. I do have a passport now but I went on many cruises without a passport and never had a problem. My contention is if your an American citizen without a passport and you had to fly back it may be a problem but sooner or later they will let you back in the USA. They want and need your tax money. LOL

A passport is required for air travel to Mexico and Canada.
A passport is required by the US for air travel FROM Mexico and Canada TO the US. Neither Mexico or Canada requires US citizens to have a passport to enter by any form of transportation, but you do have to have documentation to re-enter the US [which can be an Enhanced Driver's License for ground travel]. But lots of luck convincing a commercial airline agent to let you on a plane from the US to Mexico or Canada without a passport. Should be doable for private planes, but personally I'm still carrying my passport.

Thom

I am confused :o (sorry, but I'm probably just not reading this thread correctly). I've been married for 27 years - why would I need a marriage certificate if my DL name is my married name?

Just to clarify - since I have a DL with my married name and a passport with my married name, do I need to bring my marriage license? :confused:

I am confused :o (sorry, but I'm probably just not reading this thread correctly). I've been married for 27 years - why would I need a marriage certificate if my DL name is my married name?

Just to clarify - since I have a DL with my married name and a passport with my married name, do I need to bring my marriage license? :confused:

You do not need to bring your marriage license since you are using your passport. You would need the marriage license if you were traveling using your birth certificate and drivers license. The marriage license acts as a linking document between the birth certificate and drivers license.

You do not need to bring your marriage license since you are using your passport. You would need the marriage license if you were traveling using your birth certificate and drivers license. The marriage license acts as a linking document between the birth certificate and drivers license.

Thank you for the clarification!!

Archived