Worried/MSC Divinia Dec cruise 2013

robinathome

Hi Doug, I apologize if you thought I was being argumentative. The truth is I've been an agent for 40 years so I have a bit of knowledge regarding cruises, and no, Im not trying to solicit business. The Divina holds 4,000 passengers, they are already very big in Europe. The purpose of sending this ship to the U.S.was to capture market share.That's why they are making certain changes. Make no mistake, this is an Italian ship and it will stay that way! But this a very big company with lots of $ and I'll bet this is just the tip of the iceburg regarding the U.S. market. They are already #3 in the cruise world, and the way #1 has been going it is a perfect opening for them. I believe we are going to be eating lots of delicious pasta in the Caribbean in the future

No,No, No, Pardon me for giving you the wrong impression! I was just trying to say I appreciate your input and you seem to know more about the situation than any one currently posting on this thread/forum at this time.:)

I appreciate your expertise, I freely admit I'm strictly a hobbyist traveler/planner that just enjoys planning and learning about the industry, so when someone that's in the business offers his insight my ears perk up.

I am in the Sales Management of a Distribution Business/ Investor so I'm always looking at the "why" of things and trying to feel the winds of change before the competition, so a sniff of change in the air and I'm all ears.

MSC is still a privately owned company I believe, having a flexibility & freedom that large corporations can only dream of, requiring careful monitoring by it's competitors but also carrying the risk of implosion by a single major misstep.

TA's that actually KNOW cruising are rare, I appreciate your insight:)

Search my recent MSC posts.... and read my reviews. We love love love MSC and we are seasoned cruisers on many different lines. MSC USA is much different than MSC in Europe. Everything changes to more American needs ( like free tap water, extended child care hours, extended buffet, grill...).

What you will get is a cruise line with PASSION. In everything they do... you will feel this. If you take part in one game you will get to know the entertainment staff. You will laugh with them the entire time. They will notice you coming and going into the theater where they meet and greet you and wave to you or even talk to you. They will offer to dance with you in lounges. You will feel so included and so welcomed that you will be hooked.

Pls read my posts, since I wrote enough to tell you my experiences. These experiences have repeated itself each time on MSC. We are on Divina in jan for 14 nights and I cannot wait.

MSC DIVINA has not been to the Caribbean yet. Once it comes to the USA it will be the first MSC ship to be exclusive, year round from MIA to the Caribbean. You will marvel at this ship, the dedication the staff have to making your vacation a remarkable one, and the interaction of staff and cruiser. It is more than a cruise... it is an experience only duplicated on each of our MSC cruises.

Here is the schedule Tatka, From mid June the ship does a 19 day trip to. Santos Brazil. Its there for a couple of weeks then it will return to Miami for its August 2 departure. By the way, the 19 day is a bargain for about $1000. I believe its a charter in Brazil for the Olympics.

And Doug, its still privately owned, and VERY big! Over 500 hundred ships of all types and facilities world wide.

Here is the schedule Tatka, From mid June the ship does a 19 day trip to. Santos Brazil. Its there for a couple of weeks then it will return to Miami for its August 2 departure. By the way, the 19 day is a bargain for about $1000. I believe its a charter in Brazil for the Olympics.

And Doug, its still privately owned, and VERY big! Over 500 hundred ships of all types and facilities world wide.

Yes we are forgetting that MSC is actually a shipping company.

Thank you for letting me know about itins. Does not look like US agents have full info yet.

hi there;

Actullay the ship is leaving for Brazil on the 24th of May for 19 nights - it has been chartered to stay in Brazil for the World Soccer Cup - FIFA (sorry - not the olympics) - then it will cruise back to Miami for 19 nights - 100% u are correct, it is a true bargain - could not pass up the deal....

Tatka, The agents in America do have the schedules and prices. Its right on the agents booking engine. The real question is why does your agent not want to sell it and how professional is that to not give your client what they want.

And Marcoigna, Sorry, wrong sport!

Do you think with the lowest cruise price policy and kids sail free benefit often championed here that MSC would be considered a sophisticated cruise line?

Maybe the YC could claim that adjective, but I don't think MSC class cruises (RCCL, NCL,CCL etc) could claim to be sophisticated.

Or perhaps you have something else in mind when you hear sophisticated?

(and I am not suggesting #4)

so•phis•ti•cat•ed (səˈfɪs tɪˌkeɪ tɪd)

adj.

1. worldly-wise; not naive: sophisticated travelers.

2. appealing to cultivated tastes: sophisticated music.

3. complex; intricate: a sophisticated electronic control system.

4. deceptive; misleading.

Just my opinion, nothing wrong with conversation...

I think MSC cruises appeal to two categories of guests - 'home' and 'away'. The home crowd are the latinos who are totally comfortable with the MSC way of doing things and represent a cross section of their respective populations. We often have a romantic notion of them because they tend to spend a high proportion of their disposable income on clothes, looking good and eating out - and holidaying.

The away crowd are the worldly-wise, sophisticated travellers from around the world who appreciate the Italianness and difference in culture to their own.

Then there is the category of guests to whom MSC does not appeal at all. These are the ones with their own contrived sense of 'poshness' to which MSC does not conform. In being pretentious they believe they are being sophisticated. Quite clearly the opposite is the case. These are the worst travellers and a bore even to meet.

I don't think they will, I still think they want to cater to their existing customer base rather than take on the American market/ style

I could be wrong of course, tourlink99 knows more than anyone else that's been discussing the subject that I've heard

I actually hope you are right. I don't need yet another "Americanised" cruiseline. I think I can give up wrap-around promenade and free iced water, may be join the mad rush for opening lift while cruising once in a while.

Diversity and choices please.

However, MSC does seem inconsistent to me as their product, practice or service could vary wildly across the fleet. You don't even know whether you can still get AI package drinks on disembarkation morning.

Some seemingly minor things could have been improved to provide much better experience too, eg. website design, membership tracking, future cruise scheme.

I think the potential is there, may be need further refining but not a major overhaul.

Then there is the category of guests to whom MSC does not appeal at all. These are the ones with their own contrived sense of 'poshness' to which MSC does not conform. In being pretentious they believe they are being sophisticated. Quite clearly the opposite is the case. These are the worst travellers and a bore even to meet.

Clones of Mrs Bucket, methinks ;)

As always, so much bantering.

@OP Don't listen to your agent. Go with your worldly experience and you will likely love MSC. Our experience was that most of the complainers on board were people who had very little travel experience and were comparing it to Carnival and RCCL. Skip the steaks and try the veal picatta, enjoy the amazing pianists and violin players, and pay a couple of $ for the best gelato ever!

Service is more European style, they won't bug you for stuff you will need to signal the waiter if you need stuff.

We are trying Celebrity this time not because we didn't love MSC but because we wanted to try sailing out of San Juan.

PS I think MSC doesn't pay commission over-rides and this might influence agent bookings and attitude.

Enjoy your trip!

Monica jay, Your suggestion that agents don't get paid overrides is wrong. They pay the same as the other cruise lines. If you make just a few booking, your paid basic commission. The more you sell, the more you make. Agents who sell based upon comm. level aren't dfoing there clients justice.

vel

I forgot, The prices were there just now! By the way folks, look for agents that have groups set up on the dates you want and in many cases you can save some $

How can you find these agents? I know you cannot mention names on CC so not sure how to find them.

Monica jay, Your suggestion that agents don't get paid overrides is wrong. They pay the same as the other cruise lines. If you make just a few booking, your paid basic commission. The more you sell, the more you make. Agents who sell based upon comm. level aren't dfoing there clients justice.

vel

I totally agree but I worked as a travel agent for 10 years (1988-1998) and our commission rates ranged from 10-18 % on different cruise-lines. This was pre-OBC kickback time, if working on commission the agent could make a lot more money by selling certain lines. Many agents steered their clients towards the ones they would make the most money on. Still to this day there are many agencies that won't promote NCL because they pay less.

After stopping being an agent I worked for a major airline in the marketing dept. I'm not trying to be argumentative but there are sometimes monetary reasons that an agent will promote (or not) a certain supplier. In the days of Midway airlines (long since bankrupt) I got one free ticket for me for every 10 return tickets I sold. Of course I promoted them.:D

But back to MSC - I personally enjoy it but do understand what some of the complaints are.

Tatka, The agents in America do have the schedules and prices. Its right on the agents booking engine. The real question is why does your agent not want to sell it and how professional is that to not give your client what they want.

And Marcoigna, Sorry, wrong sport!

I am using search-engines of my regular heavy-volume on-line agents. Several of them. They are very popular in US. I use them for all our bookings - 2 or 3 every year - and I do not see prices, or even cruises.

I understand what you are saying but the 15 to 18 % is based on production. And it works like that with all cruise lines. Probably not that many agency's have earned there maximum commish with MSC due to lack of ships in this market. I would imagine most of the "big boys"

have higher commissions, but any professional agent that I know puts their clients first and the override second. And by the way NCL pays me the same as the other lines.

After many trips on Costa, I'm going to be on MSC Divina in January to see how it compares. MSC is being heavily marketed in Canada. The complaints I've seen about MSC read practically word for word those about Costa, so I don't take them as anything to concern me. "Not heard anything good..." is hard to evaluate depending on how well her friend knows her. For example, one poster has mentioned Holland America. Some people love HAL, I'd agree it's great if you want 10,000 calories/day, but mind-numbingly boring for me. A professional agent would consider this and recommend accordingly, not based on commission.

For those heading to Santos, remember to factor in Brazilian visas. I decided against a Santos trip because of the hassles involved.

I think MSC cruises appeal to two categories of guests - 'home' and 'away'. The home crowd are the latinos who are totally comfortable with the MSC way of doing things and represent a cross section of their respective populations. We often have a romantic notion of them because they tend to spend a high proportion of their disposable income on clothes, looking good and eating out - and holidaying.

The away crowd are the worldly-wise, sophisticated travellers from around the world who appreciate the Italianness and difference in culture to their own.

I have been looking at this "sophistication" question as a ship adjective, rather than the individual passengers.

I've met sophisticated individuals on every cruise and in every county/city continent I've ever been to, and many of the not so sophisticated.

I'm not saying some MSC passengers aren't sophisticated, I'm saying that I don't consider MSC to be a sophisticated line in general, nor do I consider most mass market lines.

No doubt, a line that constantly touts low prices and kids sail free will attract the lower end of the sophistication scale, as does the up sale of faux exclusivity and culture appeals to the aspiring masses

No doubt, a line that constantly touts low prices and kids sail free will attract the lower end of the sophistication scale, as does the up sale of faux exclusivity and culture appeals to the aspiring masses

I don't understand how parsimony and sophistication are mutually exclusive?

By reading this comment I think that's what you're suggesting? Forgive me if you didn't mean that.

I'm also exceptionally intrigued about the "sophistication scale" and would love to know where you purchase one? I'd like to check that I'm not wanting in this department and are assuming that is how you measure it? ;-)

I have been looking at this "sophistication" question as a ship adjective, rather than the individual passengers.

I've met sophisticated individuals on every cruise and in every county/city continent I've ever been to, and many of the not so sophisticated.

I'm not saying some MSC passengers aren't sophisticated, I'm saying that I don't consider MSC to be a sophisticated line in general, nor do I consider most mass market lines.

I disagree, it is very simplistic to judge sophistication by cost. A line does not offer seven courses per meal, the heaviest bath towels at sea, a pillow menu and opera on tap if it is simply aiming at the unsophisticated masses.

Low fares are there to win market share. 'Kids go free' is there to attract the younger part of it rather than those who are about to die soon. As for the kids, "get them while they are young"....

I believe MSC is playing a long game and judging its degree of sophistication by current fares and policies is misguided.

Besides, look who the line currently attracts ;).

MSC does not need to report to the public shareholders or pay huge sum for its owner to run an expensive professional basketball team.

In fact, I know some Chinese cruisers who can afford Crystal etc prefer MSC because they see the value. From my only MSC cruise, I think there were lots of well to do and educated passengers, not cheap Italian families on holiday. And who can say Italians with their fine food taste and fashion sense would fell for unsophisticated cruise line?

Excellent post.

I don't understand how parsimony and sophistication are mutually exclusive?

By reading this comment I think that's what you're suggesting? Forgive me if you didn't mean that.

I'm also exceptionally intrigued about the "sophistication scale" and would love to know where you purchase one? I'd like to check that I'm not wanting in this department and are assuming that is how you measure it? ;-)

Well, that's the thing about sophistication Moocow, you either have it or you don't, it's not something like sheets or towels that you can purchase.

Archived