Another Galveston thread

bearette

I hope Texas is watching since this as it is why no one wants to cruise out of Texas and a lot of companies wont sail from there-getting to the port is a pain!

So I called Enterprise and there is no more one way rentals from Galveston or to Galveston...so absolutely no rental car options? So that means unless I want to sit at the port with my luggage the 7 pm flight I was looking at is out. My next option is 12:30, which I hear is hit and miss from hobby. The only transportation is a shuttle service, which can be reasonable but if I wanted to tour NASA before my flight that can't happen. (The cruise line isn't an option since I was looking at Disney and they do not do transportation to Hobby anymore). So now that my rant is over...

For anyone with a late flight- is there any company that can do a tour sort of thing and drop us at the airport? Most look like just straight to the airport kind of things. It would be four adults and two toddlers plus all the luggage...

Just saw your post and living in TX I don't have this problem but I had a thought. Although, they may not rent one way, what about just doing it for the whole week? I realize that means paying for parking for the week but you can get that for around $55 for the week. Also means paying for a vehicle you are not using but if it meant the freedom to move about as you wanted/needed it might be worth it.

Just a thought! Hope it all works out and you have an amazing cruise!!

I hope Texas is watching since this as it is why no one wants to cruise out of Texas and a lot of companies wont sail from there-getting to the port is a pain!

So I called Enterprise and there is no more one way rentals from Galveston or to Galveston...so absolutely no rental car options? So that means unless I want to sit at the port with my luggage the 7 pm flight I was looking at is out. My next option is 12:30, which I hear is hit and miss from hobby. The only transportation is a shuttle service, which can be reasonable but if I wanted to tour NASA before my flight that can't happen. (The cruise line isn't an option since I was looking at Disney and they do not do transportation to Hobby anymore). So now that my rant is over...

For anyone with a late flight- is there any company that can do a tour sort of thing and drop us at the airport? Most look like just straight to the airport kind of things. It would be four adults and two toddlers plus all the luggage...

The title of thread

and opening remarks do not encourage replies!:(

Traveling always presents challenges!

But if it is important for you to go on a Nasa tour,

you are going to have to spend some extra money.

Whether it is

1. weekly rental,

2. 2 taxis rides or 2 limo rides before and after Nasa tour to airport,

3. coming in early day or staying over day in Galveston,

4. coming in early day or staying over day across street from Nasa,

5. Go on roll call and organize your own tour to Nasa and transportation to there and airport!

6. You already have a group. Your costs are less with the numbers and with still meeting later flights.

----------

A good attitude is the difference between ordeal and adventure!

Being happy does not mean that everything is perfect.

It means you have decided to look beyond

the imperfections of you’re expectations.

I'm not following your logic here...transportation (or lack of in your mind) is the fault of Texas??:confused:

No one wants to cruise out of Texas? Most of the boats are leaving pretty full...Carnival, RC and Disney (and except for NCL that pretty much includes all the major cruise lines. (NCL will be sailing from Bayport later this year along with Princess)) So that pretty much shoots down the no one or company wants to sail from there theory.

As far as transportation goes, you have already answered your own issue. Use a shuttle service (or taxi). There are many threads that include info on them.

If seeing NASA is that big of a deal for you..take a shuttle service to Hobby and rent a car for the day and pop on down to NASA (it is not that far away) and play tourist for a few hours. Then return the car before you board your plane home. But if you really wanted to see it, I would either fly in a day early or stay an extra day as by the time you get off the ship, get to the airport and/or NASA you won't have much time to visit before you need to be back at the airport for your flight. And Hobby, while much smaller that IAH, can get pretty busy at times as, unlike IAH, there are not multiple ways to clear security. Pretty much one loooooooooong line at times.

This comes up a lot... And while I feel for anyone who can't just drive to the port, that *is* the bulk of people who cruise from Texas, and there are enough of them that the ships have plenty of business.

But the bigger point is that cities, ports, cruise lines, and entire states have no control over private businesses - and car rental companies are just that. Who knows why the rental companies didn't return after Ike -- I can only guess that the liability was just too high. All anyone can do, as consumers in a free market society, is to contact the car rental companies and let them know how unhappy they are that the companies aren't in certain markets.

Enterprise, being the largest rental car company in the world, doesn't want to have a agency in Galveston. There must be something major behind there decision not to return.

I can assure you that Texas has larger problems than no rental cars in Galveston. If Galveston doesn't work for you, then fly to another port city and depart from there.

If you are set on leaving from Galveston, then work through it. If you are set on visiting NASA - which will take the better part of a day - then figure it out. Complaining about it won't change things.

I agree with pp about renting a car from IAH or HOU and keeping it for the week. Is the little extra money worth not stressing about it, and being able to leave the ship and be on your own time rather than on a shuttle's time? Is that little extra money worth lowering your blood pressure a point or two and just relaxing about your plan and enjoying your trip?

That doesn't work - get a town car service. Whichever way you choose to get to the port, have you considered car seats for the kids? There is no way I would drive or ride from Houston to Galveston without my kids in car seats - in a town car or shuttle. If you have the rental, you can leave car seats in port instead of hauling them on board with you.

You have plenty of options. It may not be easy, but thousands of people leave the port of Galveston every year. If there is a will, there is a way.

Please pass us by and just fly onto to a Florida port. Why do you want to visit NASA, you guys took a shuttle, go see it.

The math works out just fine for Enterprise, Galveston, and Texas. Leave us alone and worry about your own state's tourism.

Enterprise, being the largest rental car company in the world, doesn't want to have a agency in Galveston. There must be something major behind there decision not to return.

Enterprise DOES have an office in Galveston - on Broadway!

Each Enterprise office is a franchise, operated independently of each other.

So, get your fact straight.

crazy4themouse

Thanks for your post and other comments on industry and Galveston in other threads

http://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/9583.html

Port of Galveston Major Contributor to Cruise Industry

on 17 July 2013.

The Port of Galveston ranks as the fourth busiest cruise port in the U.S. based upon embarkation according to a recent study prepared by the Cruise Lines International Association (CLIA). In 2012, the Port of Galveston, Texas’ only major cruise port, welcomed 863,000 passenger and crew, which is 4 percent of all passenger and crew visits at U.S. ports.

With over $1.2 billion in direct spending and almost 20,000 jobs paying nearly $1.1 billion in total income, Texas accounted for 6.3 percent of the industry’s overall spending nationwide. The state ranking rose from fourth to third. The Port of Galveston embarked approximately 604,000 passengers and was the second fastest growing cruise port in 2012.

Next year will prove to be even better for Galveston’s cruise business, with the addition of Royal Caribbean International’s Navigator of the Seas year round operation offering Texas vacationers roundtrip seven-night Western Caribbean itineraries throughout the year and the continued year round operations of Carnival Cruise Line’s Carnival Magic and Carnival Triumph .

“The Port of Galveston is committed to remaining in the top 20 cruise home-ports worldwide. We are dedicated to strengthening our existing relationship with the cruise industry and increasing the economic impact to the local and regional communities.” said Mike Mierzwa, Port of Galveston Port Director.

The Port of Galveston, Texas’ Star Cruise Port serves as the primary point of embarkation for cruises to the western Caribbean and the Bahamas and handles over 1.2 million cruise passengers annually. Three cruise lines, Carnival Cruise Lines, Disney Cruise Line, and Royal Caribbean International, sail from Texas’ premiere cruise port.

:)

crazy4themouse

Thanks for your post and other comments on industry and Galveston in other threads

Thanks for saying that, SSB!

I just hate to hear it when people malign Galveston for whatever reason... I've traveled all over the place, and Galveston remains one of my favorite places in the whole world. SO much history, culture, incredible architecture, fun, food, and a laid-back, amazingly friendly atmosphere that really does make you crave "island time."

It's a physical, tangible feeling of relief when I drive over the Causeway. I will be there permanently -- don't know when, don't know how, but at some point I will be. I may not be a BOI like my mom, but I won't be happy until I'm an IBC. :D

-gina-

I called Enterprise twice, in case the first person didnt know what they were talking about, and was told both times you cannot drop a car off in Galveston. I told the person there was a lock box on the door even, for the key, and still both times was told cannot drop off a car in Galveston. I, for one, would love to find out that this is wrong information.

I was told for 2 people, round trip shuttle from Hobby to Galveston, was 160.00. That seems crazy to me, way expensive.

Galveston-Thank you very much!! Oh, by the way, I do love your town!! There is just something special about it, and I love eating at "The Spot" :)

We do too! Love Rum Shack Happy Hour upstairs.

At Olympia at Pier 21 yesterday for Happy Hour, meeting friends at Nonno Tony's today.

So many good places to go eat:)

I didn't mean to insult Texas, just point out that for the people who fly it is a pain to get to the port. Disney ( who I was looking at) and other lines have pulled out of Galveston in the future and I imagine for a lot of reasons, but the one complaint I see on here is getting to and from the port while flying is expensive. Just like sailing out of California, we have our problems (RCCL no longer sails fom here) but as far as tourism problems ... Getting to Galveston is a hassle. This was a tongue in check question, so I will ignore the unhelpful remarks and sorry if I offended anyone as that was not my intent.

As far as answers to my question

Enterprise is the only car rental agency in Galveston but they will not do one way rentals as I pointed out in my first comment. ( I called) I did check on the car rental for the week...unfortunately it would be about $500 since I would need two cars or a van. I was looking at renting and returning to the airport. I did see some hotels that would let you park for free so if we could all fit with luggage in one car that would be a cost effect option but with 6 of us it wouldn't work. ( leaving the car seats would be nice to free up room in the stateroom. If we do this with four of us that would be the option I would choose). I decided that the cost to get to port made the trip out of budget so I am going to look at other options from California and Florida. Thank you for the help and happy cruising. Hopefully this thread helped others.

Disney didn't do their homework and priced themselves ridiculously high, compared to what we're used to here. And, as my handle suggests, I love Disney with every cell in my body, lol. But the truth is the truth, and DCL's prices were just too dang high compared to other lines sailing from Galveston and even Bayport.

The only other line that is switching from Galveston to Bayport is Princess, and that is because the Port of Houston is giving them gobs of money to do so. Taxpayer money. Interesting piece, if you haven't already read it:

http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/story?section=news/in_focus&id=8984892

No other lines are "pulling out" of Galveston.

RCI has chosen to have the Navigator of the Seas here year around once she arrives from Europe in November.

Galveston is an island, 50 miles from the City of Houston. Not every port city is next to an airport. Taxi/car service rates are exorbitant in Europe, but that doesn't stop us from going. We know what they are and chalk it up to the cost of traveling.

The lack of rental cars is not the City or Port fault, but private enterprise. We have tried for years to have another rental service here.

We use a car service to go to and from the airport when flying in or out to go on a cruise.

Galveston must be doing something right to have the port grow in the cruising industry.

Crazy4the mouse is correct in Disney is very proud of their ships. Their prices are outrageous compared to other lines. However, they meet a niche market and those willing to pay will sail them.

I'm lucky to be close enough to Galveston that transportation isn't an issue. I do feel for those from out of state that get a good deal on a cruise then have to pay so much for transportation that it negates any savings.

I would think that Enterprise could make a lot of money by opening on Sunday. Unfortunately a lot of their satellite (non-airport) locations have limited days and hours. Maybe with RCCL sailing year round that will give them a reason to reevaluate this decision.

I think that the city would benefit by offering some sort of incentive, perhaps in the form of tax breaks, to get them to open Sunday or to lure another car rental company to the island. The money the city would make from people using those cars to see the sights pre and post cruise would probably make up for any lost tax revenue.

Enterprise DOES have an office in Galveston - on Broadway!

Each Enterprise office is a franchise, operated independently of each other.

So, get your fact straight.

My Bad I searched and couldn't find it

While Enterprise is a franchise based company it is a privately held company by one family

But in Galveston they are not open on Sundays and have limited hours on Saturday...... As a business owner it doesn't make sense.

Burger King is a franchise based company and they are open sunday mornings:p Wait does Galveston have a Burger King:confused:

The Bottom line is for those of us that have lived and cruised from other ports, Galveston is a PITA to cruise out of,unless you drive. One reason I never did for years.

I do understand the Op's frustration, along with others, when looking at the bottom line of expenses and convenience when booking a cruise from Galveston.

Personally I prefer to cruise from San Francisco Could be Im a little biased since I was born and raised there. Maybe the same with alot of posters about Galveston;)

Chris- I actually did look at that Princess cruise. I am in the research stages now. I like to gather prices and pick hotels as if I was going to do the trip for a few places so we can pick what we think is the best value. Since it is closer it is on the list but Disney is out since their cabin prices are higher, but traveling with kids they are great for families. ( which was why I was trying to swing it). I can do a balcony on Princess for less then an OV on Disney. Even the Bayside Port is expensive so it isn't looking likely but a final decision won't be made for a little while. ( waiting for final vacation time approval.)

My Bad I searched and couldn't find it

While Enterprise is a franchise based company it is a privately held company by one family

But in Galveston they are not open on Sundays and have limited hours on Saturday...... As a business owner it doesn't make sense.

)

I'm going to guess that the owners of the Galveston franchise have run the numbers and for whatever reason decided that the numbers just don't add up to justify staying open 7 days a week.

Archived