Carnival confident of Legend success

In short,

Super Saver: cheapest, but guarantee only. Non-refundable deposit. (Yes, happens in the US too, despite claims to contrary! :-)

Early Saver: cheaper than Fun Select. Only sold up to 3 or 5 months before cruise. If price falls after purchase, you get a refund of difference as OBC.

Fun Select: Standard i.e. full price. e.g. available when early saver has expired. May get upgraded depending on availability.

Thanks for that.

I thought that P&O Australia's ships would eventually be rebranded as Carnival ships but having recently come back from a cruise on Spirit, I believe this is unlikely. The difference in the product is too wide. Spirit (and Legend) are a class level above P&O Australia in product as well as being much more modern. There is no way the existing P&O ships could be branded as Carnival downunder without damaging the Carnival brand.

Carnival will continue to grow in Australia over the next few years as they replace their Spirit and Destiny class vessels in the US fleet. At the same time, the P&O fleet will either continue to exist at the bottom end of the market or will be sold off by Carnival Corporation.

I would say P&O was a class above Carnival. I would pay a lot more money to sale on P&O then to sale on Carnival. The Spirit or now the Legend will need to be cheap for us to go on them, we will just stick to Royal, Princess and P&O until that day. P&O just needs to make a few changes and they would be all good.

Also I don't really get why people complain so much about the ships. Its not the end of the world and in fact (putting the Jewel aside) they are actually fairly nice ships with the only draw back being that they don't have all the modern features, which their next ship (which I am sure there will be one as it is almost getting time for their cycle now) will have these features. But the ships look bad from the inside but are nice on the inside. Plus they are better at upkeep, having a dry dock every year to 2 years, whereas every other line is up around the 5 year mark, and by that time the ships just look rubbish (aka The Voyager).

Thanks for that.

Definitely go "Early saver" this far out!

With early saver you can get any price drop amounts off the cabin cost before final payment, you have a choice OBC or price reduction but after final payment you can only claim OBC for further price drops.

Carnival USA has a very user friendly website so you are good to book direct although those who live outside USA need to email or call Carnival USA to make your initial booking as you cannot book online first up (unless this has changed recently?)

Once you have done one Carnival USA cruise you can book direct online without calling as they have all your details;)

With early saver you can make as many price drop claims as you want right up to sail date.

Watch the cabin prices daily and if you see a price drop take a screen shot as proof and email the claim form that is on their web site.

You can also have bottles of spirit and wine delivered to your cabin on sail day by purchasing it ahead of time through "Bon Voyage" which you cannot do on Carnival Australia because Americans are much more responsible than us lol!

Price drops you cannot claim through "Early Saver" are State specific sales, sometimes they offer cheaper prices to residents of say "Florida" then only those with a Florida address can take advantage of the cheaper price offered :(

You can do a paid upgrade any time and you then fall under the "Early saver" of that category.

When you call Carnival you can request a PVP (personal Vacation Planner) The PVP is like a travel agent inside the company, a PVP is much easier to deal with than just a call centre operator as a PVP is on a commission and will give you better deals when upgrading ect.

With Early saver its fun to keep watching for price drops but you can get a bit obsessed with it lol

Den

Also I don't really get why people complain so much about the ships. Its not the end of the world and in fact (putting the Jewel aside) they are actually fairly nice ships with the only draw back being that they don't have all the modern features, which their next ship (which I am sure there will be one as it is almost getting time for their cycle now) will have these features. But the ships look bad from the inside but are nice on the inside. Plus they are better at upkeep, having a dry dock every year to 2 years, whereas every other line is up around the 5 year mark, and by that time the ships just look rubbish (aka The Voyager).

You rate Voyager of the Seas interior below a P&O ship?

I would say P&O was a class above Carnival. I would pay a lot more money to sale on P&O then to sale on Carnival. The Spirit or now the Legend will need to be cheap for us to go on them, we will just stick to Royal, Princess and P&O until that day. P&O just needs to make a few changes and they would be all good.

Also I don't really get why people complain so much about the ships.

I guess we'll agree to disagree but my experience suggests Carnival is a level above P&O in features, food and ship standard.

P&O pricing is not particularly compelling. For example a 9 night cruise in a balcony cabin on Spirit next March is available for $1226. The nearest comparable cruise is a 10 nighter on Pacific Pearl departing a day later. A balcony cabin on this cruise is $1815!!! Outside cabins are more comparable (reflecting the balcony ratio on P&O c.f. Carnival) though with Spirit being available for $1093 and Pearl $1150, fairly equal given the extra day available on Pearl.

I guess we'll agree to disagree but my experience suggests Carnival is a level above P&O in features, food and ship standard.

P&O pricing is not particularly compelling. For example a 9 night cruise in a balcony cabin on Spirit next March is available for $1226. The nearest comparable cruise is a 10 nighter on Pacific Pearl departing a day later. A balcony cabin on this cruise is $1815!!! Outside cabins are more comparable (reflecting the balcony ratio on P&O c.f. Carnival) though with Spirit being available for $1093 and Pearl $1150, fairly equal given the extra day available on Pearl.

Yes, balconies will very rarely be cheap on P&O due to the much lower number of them.

If you only want a balcony or above then you would often find better value on other lines.

Thank you very much.

I noticed when you book on carnival there is three options. Could you perhaps explain them and what the benefits and consequences of each terms are : I think one is called Early Saver, Fun Select and Super Saver.

Many thanks.

Hi, sorry I didn't get back to you earlier, however I see your questions have been well and truly answered!! Good luck with your booking.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jessica3152

The Spirit has cheaper balcony cabins as they have such a high percentage of them, We sailed on the Spirit to try a balcony cabin at a reasonable price, but it would have to be cheaper still for me sail with Carnival again, We would much rather sail on P&O or Princess, even in an inside cabin.

Perhaps the Legend will be better,but the layout and decor look as bad.

You rate Voyager of the Seas interior below a P&O ship?

When the Voyager first arrived in Sydney the ship was in horrible condition, things were failing apart, furniture ripped, carpets in need of replacement. Speakers in the promenade either need to be replaced and better speakers put in or for the music to be turned down and you could hardly hear the actual audio as the speakers created too much noise. Just about everywhere we went things were ripped/needed replacement. It has not entered drydock since 2009 and it most likely had only one before that, making it only 2 dry docks in 14 years. It was just in such bad shape that we wont go on it again until at least after the dry dock and even then its up in the air.

Also you cannot really say the Spirit has more features then the P&O ships, all it has that is different is the slides and water play areas.

When the Voyager first arrived in Sydney the ship was in horrible condition, things were failing apart, furniture ripped, carpets in need of replacement. Speakers in the promenade either need to be replaced and better speakers put in or for the music to be turned down and you could hardly hear the actual audio as the speakers created too much noise. Just about everywhere we went things were ripped/needed replacement. It has not entered drydock since 2009 and it most likely had only one before that, making it only 2 dry docks in 14 years. It was just in such bad shape that we wont go on it again until at least after the dry dock and even then its up in the air.

Odd... I sailed on Voyager shortly after she arrived in Sydney and didn't notice most of the issues you mentioned.

The speakers in the promenade weren't optimal... but then I've seen a lot of equivalent 'issues' with P&O ships too, like a theatre in need of refurb.

We'll have to agree to disagree on this, as I found the Voyager interior and facilities much better, generally speaking.

We sailed on Voyager in January & I didn't see anything needing repair apart from 1 chair in the Cleopatra's needle that had a little wear on one arm & I'm rather fussy on the details.

Voyager goes in for refurb next year anyway, so will be sparkling soon enough.

I'm hoping Royal decide to base a ship here full time, they are supposed to be bringing another Voyager class ship here next season.

I love Radiance best though so far, she is a beautiful classy ship.

Also you cannot really say the Spirit has more features then the P&O ships, all it has that is different is the slides and water play areas.

Have just returned from 10 nights on Carnival Spirit and totally disagree that P&O has more features than the Spirit.

We sailed on Jewel in 2012 & Pearl in 2011 and found Spirit ahead in the following areas.

Main Dining room ambience and food better in both quantity and quality.

Better access, comfort and sight lines in main showroom.

Entertainment overall of a better standard with production shows excellent

and 7 other choices of music each night.

Buffet food greater range with a lot more specialty stations were food was cooked to order.

Cabin sizes larger than P&O

Tendering better organised.

Embarkation and Debarkation far better organised at opt.

Will provide a full review shortly. But for me Spirit is by far a better value sailing experience than P&O but not to be compared with Princess.

Have just returned from 10 nights on Carnival Spirit and totally disagree that P&O has more features than the Spirit.

We sailed on Jewel in 2012 & Pearl in 2011 and found Spirit ahead in the following areas.

Buffet food greater range with a lot more specialty stations were food was cooked to order.

Will provide a full review shortly. But for me Spirit is by far a better value sailing experience than P&O but not to be compared with Princess.

They are not features of the ship. Also a really have to disagree with the entertainment. Also with room sizes, its a little hard to compare due to the fact you most likely had a balcony, and the balcony cabins are almost always bigger then regular cabins, except on the P&O ships which is was more an after thought, but their aren't many anyway.

Cruise Ship Fan,

Please clarify for me what you consider a feature of a Ship to me what I outlined are features of any Ship.:confused:

We were in a Ocean Suite on Spirit and Mini Suites on both Pearl and Jewel and Spirit beats them both for size, layout and features ( larger balcony with 2 chairs, drinks table and 2 sun lounges, dressing room with sit down mirrored side lit make up area, double sinks in bathroom, spa bath,power hand shower,mirrored bar area)

Cruise Ship Fan,

Please clarify for me what you consider a feature of a Ship to me what I outlined are features of any Ship.:confused:

We were in a Ocean Suite on Spirit and Mini Suites on both Pearl and Jewel and Spirit beats them both for size, layout and features ( larger balcony with 2 chairs, drinks table and 2 sun lounges, dressing room with sit down mirrored side lit make up area, double sinks in bathroom, spa bath,power hand shower,mirrored bar area)

Features as in different types of rooms. Like royals, ice rink, rock wall. The Spirits slide. Things that actually set ships apart, rather then things that depend on your chosen cabin or depending on the cruise (food is worse some times but great at others)

Features as in different types of rooms. Like royals, ice rink, rock wall. The Spirits slide. Things that actually set ships apart, rather then things that depend on your chosen cabin or depending on the cruise (food is worse some times but great at others)

On your basis a Grand class Princess ship would not have features in excess of Pacific Jewel!!!!

Rooms are the feature of a ship pax notice most and Spirit is far in advance of the P&O Australia ships in this regard, as it should be given it is 10 years younger!!!

I haven't sailed on the current P&O ships but compared with the ones I have sailed on I would say:

• Main Dining Room: Attractive and well designed
  • Showroom: Most seats on both levels have great view of stage. In addition there is a smaller showroom (about the size of the showroom on Pacific Sky) on Deck 1 used for comedy etc.
  • Entertainment: High production standard but probably still a bit American for Australian tastes.
  • Buffet: Generally good quality, not too hard to get a table even though the ship was very full
  • Cabin size: I was in a balcony but it is significantly larger than P&O and even the interior cabin my daughters had was bigger than both Pacific Sun and Pacific Sky's exterior cabins.
  • Tendering: Very well organised with virtually no queueing in the stairs.
  • Embarkation & Disembarkation: Embarkation was OK and disembarkation was a breeze. Like most pax, we used self assisted disembarkation and we were off the ship and through customs 10 minutes before our scheduled time.

On Carnival Spirit the only difference between cabins is size and amenities there are no cocktail parties for suite passengers no extra perks all you get basically is more space.

What you have outlined are in my humble opinion these are not features but are entertainment activities.

I am sure I would would consider being well feed in a pleasant dining room, having a wide choice of food in the buffet, being well entertained on an ongoing basis particularly in a showroom with comfortable seating and good sight lines, having spacious well appointed cabins with great service, watch a movie in a comfortable theatre which I feel are features of a Ship rather than dangle from a rock wall, slide down a water slide or across an ice rink, drive a dogem car or glide across central park on a flying fox call me old fashioned but none of your so called features, but I call gimmicks would make me chose a particular ship.

On Carnival Spirit the only difference between cabins is size and amenities there are no cocktail parties for suite passengers no extra perks all you get basically is more space.

What you have outlined are in my humble opinion these are not features but are entertainment activities.

I am sure I would would consider being well feed in a pleasant dining room, having a wide choice of food in the buffet, being well entertained on an ongoing basis particularly in a showroom with comfortable seating and good sight lines, having spacious well appointed cabins with great service, watch a movie in a comfortable theatre which I feel are features of a Ship rather than dangle from a rock wall, slide down a water slide or across an ice rink, drive a dogem car or glide across central park on a flying fox call me old fashioned but none of your so called features, but I call gimmicks would make me chose a particular ship.

We had 16 nights on Carnival Spirit last October, bringing her home to Sydney from Honolulu. We were EXTREMELY well fed (in fact in my husband's case, too well fed) in the MDR, Buffet and in the steak restaurant with a very wide choice of food; had a spacious well appointed cabin with great service (in fact the service for the entire cruise everywhere was wonderful); were well and truly entertained in a fantastic showroom; and couldn't fault a thing. Mind you, with all of these things, we also had an absolute blast scooting down the Green Thunder; loved the spa; and found it difficult to leave the well appointed Serenity deck.

We're all different and enjoy different things; we all have our own loyalties to our favourites. How difficult would it be if we all loved the same cruise company? Why, we'd never be able to get holidays when we wanted!!

Can't wait or B2B from Tampa to LA to Sydney next August/September when Carnival sends the Legend to Australia.

Tbh and fwiw, I wouldn't consider rooms a 'feature' of a ship either.

Extra rooms are a big feature . They mean activities can have their own space.

I have heard of some ships where they have to play trivia in the Atrium and people sit on the stairs and have to grapple with others passing through....:eek:

totally agree...perfectly summed up.

Extra rooms are a big feature . They mean activities can have their own space.

I have heard of some ships where they have to play trivia in the Atrium and people sit on the stairs and have to grapple with others passing through....:eek:

Sorry, by rooms I meant cabins. Was using hotel terminology instead of shipping. ;)

Archived