Keeping lights on in room on breeze

SIENA6334

I thought I saw on these board something about using a credit card or your room card to keep lights on in rooms. Has anyone been on Breeze lately and have any idea what I am talking about - just like to be prepared - and this seems a bit confusing to me!!:confused:

We were on her in May.

When you enter your room you need to put your sign & sail card in a slot by the door. It makes the lights come on. When you leave the room and take your card out of the slot the lights will automatically time off after a few seconds. Not a big deal. Why would you want the ligts on while away ?

It does NOT affect the A/C.

Its an energy saving measure. You put your room key in a slot by the door (much like the door lock style) and it turns the lights on in your cabin. When you leave, remove the card and 30 seconds later the lights go out until you return.

People have found a way around this by putting other cards in the slot. I'm not sure why this is advantageous as you wouldn't need the lights when you're not in your room. I guess I'll see when I'm on the breeze this February.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Forums mobile app

Ran into some hotels like that in London -- designed to save energy, I guess

We have encountered that in a couple hotels in the US also. My husband went for ice and took the card out of the slot. A minute later I was in the dark. I thought there was a power failure. Now we know.

I think the reason to use another card and not your sail & sign card is so you don't accidentally leave and forget your card. Or if you're cards in the slot and you leave you'd have to switch out cards if someone else is staying in the room.

Last cruise I happened to have my room key( card) from the night before's hotel stay in my pocket. We used this card in the slot the entire cruise. I can only imagine all the cruisers that use their sail and sign card and leave it in the slot when exiting thier cabin.

In April we used an old S&S card we would put it in the slot and turn the lights off so when we would come back to the room all we had to do was open door and hit the switch which came in handy a few times after having a few Long Island Iced Tea's :D

Does it shut off the outlets too? I could see this being a problem if you're trying to charge a kindle or ipod or something.

No it does not shut off the outlet in the main cabin but it will in the bathroom, as anytime you turn off the bathroom lights the outlet in there goes off.

We did not know about this feature when we cruised in December. We walked to our room and passed a woman standing in her doorway telling us the power was out to the rooms and she had an inside cabin, could not see a thing. So we went to our room (balcony so plenty of light) and did not find out about the new key switch until muster drill when I asked if we would be leaving on time with some of the power still out.

BIG "L" on the forehead for that.:D

Love this idea on cruise ships. I stayed in a hotel in the Philippines that had the same concept, and it's used as a method to save energy!!!! I know alot of people who wish they could put this in their house, especially for the kids who constantly leave lights on for no reason!!!

It's funny that they did this to save energy yet on every cruise we've been on, we turn the lights off when we go to dinner and when we return to our cabin, the steward has turned down the beds and left the light on.

Archived