MELBOURNE myki Public Transport Ticket

Hi there! I've posted this in the Ports of Call Section but thought to post it here too:

------------------------

Hi there!

I've just been online trying to sort out how it all works for visitors.

I was able to purchase a ticket online for $3 (senior rate) using my visacard. This will be posted to me. I'm then assuming that I can top it up before visiting Melbourne but my question is this:

We are cruising into Melbourne 3 times during our 16-day cruise in April next year. How do I manage this? I see where you can purchase a 7-day pass or a 28-day pass neither or which I need.

Is there not a Vistors Pass you can purchase?

I cruised into Melbourne last December and found that the store at the end of the pier was TOTALLY swamped with passengers trying to purchase this pass.

The tram people allowed us to board without the pass as it was evident that there would be a VERY long delay if they waited for everyone one to purchase a ticket.

It wasn't clear what stop we should get off to find the FREE tram so we wandered around like lost souls looking for it. Those we asked on the street gave us conflicting advice so in the end after and hour or so wandering around in the CBD TOTALLY LOST I just caught the first tram I saw with 109 on it - though it was about the 4th tram as they were all totally crammed full with cruise passengers.

I was left feeling VERY disappointed and frustrated after my half-day of trying to find my way around Melbourne and it's public transport system. :eek: It would help if there was LOTS more information available at the port and even buses to take passengers into the CBD which is quite a distance from the port.

This time I'm hoping to be organised prior to arriving there.

Any idea how to purchase a myki pass to cover the 3 different times we will be arriving there over 2 weeks during April next year?:confused::confused:

Thanks! Gae

Free tram route doesn't go anywhere near the port though. Just goes around the city. And its always very crowded. Personally, I think its a waste of time. Its the old old old tram. There is also a free bus that stops off and picks up at various sites around Melbourne called Free Melbourne Visitor Shuttle:

The trip takes approximately 90 minutes and there are 13 stops where you can hop on and off:

Stop 1 Arts precinct

Stop 2 Federation Square

Stop 3 Sports precinct

Stop 4 Chinatown precinct

Stop 5 Melbourne Museum and Carlton Gardens

Stop 6 Lygon Street precinct

Stop 7 University of Melbourne

Stop 8 Queen Victoria Market

Stop 9 Harbour Town, Docklands

Stop 10 Etihad Stadium and Victoria Harbour

Stop 11 William Street

Stop 12 Southbank and Yarra River

Stop 13 The Shrine and Royal Botanic Gardens

The bus departs every 30 minutes between 9.30am and 4.30pm, excluding Christmas Day.

The shuttle is a popular service and is likely to run at full capacity during peak periods.

http://www.thatsmelbourne.com.au/Gettingaroundthecity/Visitorassistance/Pages/TouristShuttle.aspx

Have you got a myki card? If you already got one, then you can top it up online. I'm assuming that what you brought on line. Its just the card. You need to put money onto it. Its a minimum of $10 to do online.

You need to register the card and then top it up.

http://ptv.vic.gov.au/application/MYKIcvm/topup/index.html

What major sites do you want to see. Most of its walkable around Melbourne. TRAM route guide http://ptv.vic.gov.au/assets/PDFs/Maps/Network-maps/TramNetworkMapPTVA4.pdf

Edited by icat2000

Free tram route doesn't go anywhere near the port though. Just goes around the city.

The OP knows that she has to board tram 109 at the port to get to the CBD.

One of her questions was how to find the free tram once she arrives at CBD.

Answer is..Route 109 joins the free tram route at the cnr of Spencer St and Flinders St.

Edited by yatchet

The OP knows that she has to board tram 109 at the port to get to the CBD.

One of her questions was how to find the free tram once she arrives at CBD.

Answer is..Route 109 joins the free tram route at the cnr of Spencer St and Flinders St.

Thank you for pointing that out. Personnally, I think she be better off putting some money on her Myki card and just catching the regular tram routes. You get to all of the sites you want to see, than waiting for that old rattler of a free tram to come around :D

Gae, if you have any further questions, please ask. I use the public transportation system most days of the week, both trains and trams.

Edited by icat2000

When we were there in January on Solstice, there was a desk set up as you left the ship to buy a day pass but I remember some posters complaining that it was more expensive than just buying a myki from the shop at the end of the pier. I think it was $15 and the idea was to cut down on the queue etc when getting on the tram. Myki as the only method of payment had not been in operation long so there were some teething problems. Maybe now the trams will not be so accommodating of people without valid payment.

As we visit Melbourne often we did not bother going into town, mooched around Port Melbourne and had coffee and then fish and chips so cannot say how it worked.

Edited by Aussieflyer

Thank you for pointing that out. Personnally, I think she be better off putting some money on her Myki card and just catching the regular tram routes. You get to all of the sites you want to see, than waiting for that old rattler of a free tram to come around :D

Yes I agree, carry this map as a guide and do own thing.

http://ptv.vic.gov.au/assets/Maps/Routes/PDFs/1112_TramCityCircle.pdf

I think the ancient trams were deliberately placed on the city circle route to attract visitors.:)

Thank you for your replies.

As we will be visiting Melbourne 3 times within a 2-week period during our P&O Southern Explorer cruise, we thought to do the FREE HOHO tour buses and trams to get a feel of the city firstly THEN decide where/what we want to do the other 2 times we will be there.

Coming from NSW we have always heard how vibrant Melbourne is so that is what we want to see and experience. Attempt to get to know the city as the locals know and enjoy it.

Gae

You can buy the Myki Pass on line . For multiple visits you need a Myki Pass type - stored money . The Pass has a life of several years. Yo can pre load the card with Aus $ value on the website, or at key stops when in Aus.

With trams you touch on BUT no need to touch off . With trains and buses you must touch ON & OFF at the end of the trip. Simple.

The light rail from Station Pier enters the city under a large railway viaduct overhead . That is where you join the FREE City Circle tourist tram, in Flinders St going in either direction . The trams are old and maroon in colour .

So Port Melbourne light rail interchange point to City Circle trams is the corner of Flinders & Spencer Streets.

The light rail ex Port Melbourne continues up Spencer St and turns right into Collins Street . Alight at Elizabeth St and take any northbound tram for Victoria Market. Alight at Swanston St for CBD shopping, and two blocks away to Flinders St station, Federation Square, National Gallery of Victoria (Australian art collection), continue on foot across Princes Bridge along St Kilda Rd for Victorian Arts Centre, and National Gallery of Victoria (International collection) . To return to your cruise ship take any PORT MELBOURNE tram from any stop along the length of Collins St.

Thank you for your replies.

As we will be visiting Melbourne 3 times within a 2-week period during our P&O Southern Explorer cruise, we thought to do the FREE HOHO tour buses and trams to get a feel of the city firstly THEN decide where/what we want to do the other 2 times we will be there.

Coming from NSW we have always heard how vibrant Melbourne is so that is what we want to see and experience. Attempt to get to know the city as the locals know and enjoy it.

Gae

Yes Gae, re the tourist & transport. Just to add a bit,,

Get the Myki Pass, which is the same as in most world cities as Oyster, Octopus,Go, etc, and it leaves you options open, and for a very low cost capped daily fare... Use it as often as you wish and the trip (or Max per day) is debited.

It is simply like the purchase of a debit card, and as long as it is valid, you re-charge as needed.

The Free Tourist tram and bus are distinctive colors and signage, and only operate from/within the CBD area. The "109" tram will take you there from Port Melbourne,

A big advantage in joining the free "CITY CBD CIRCLE TRAM" and/or "TOURIST BUS" first is that an audio presentation is given as you travel. Then go/stop as you desire on trams/train/ bus within about 10 KM of the CBD

To have a MYKI gives you the best of both options as you go..

Sue and Phil.

Great! This is the information I need.

Just another thing - I've ordered the myki ticket online. Once I have received it, then I need to charge it with some $$'s.

How much do you think that I will need for 3 separate days - at Pensioner rate? Is that the way it works? So long as there's $$'s left on it, I can continue to use it even a week or 2 later?

Great! This is the information I need.

Just another thing - I've ordered the myki ticket online. Once I have received it, then I need to charge it with some $$'s.

How much do you think that I will need for 3 separate days - at Pensioner rate? Is that the way it works? So long as there's $$'s left on it, I can continue to use it even a week or 2 later?

Any amount placed on your card is good for 5 years .

Not sure how much the daily fare is as I have a free Myki card for life.

Before you leave home for your cruise you should find out the fare and top up online, enough for your three visits.:)

Thanks to all who have contributed! You've given me lots of ideas of how to find my way around Melbourne! I'm determined to find the special vibe that it is known for.

Also great to know that I'll have the problem of the public transport sorted before I get there!

I just hope this thread has been of assistance to others who have been as puzzled as myself.

BUT the free city tourist bus will be charging $5 for adults ( free for kids) from August/September 2013 following the recent city council budget decision......

Thanks for the update - wasn't aware of that!

To be honest, I think it's quite reasonable - and much cheaper than the Sydney Explorer when we had it.

IIRC you said you were making 3 visits to Melbourne. Once you receive your card suggest you go to myki site and load it with $ 50 Aus value .

As soon as you touch on the first time your $ 50 value will be there, but not before you touch on for the first time.

IIRC you said you were making 3 visits to Melbourne. Once you receive your card suggest you go to myki site and load it with $ 50 Aus value .

As soon as you touch on the first time your $ 50 value will be there, but not before you touch on for the first time.

Thanks! I'm assuming as a Pensioner I can obtain half-rates so if I put $25 on that should suffice.

Thanks! I'm assuming as a Pensioner I can obtain half-rates so if I put $25 on that should suffice.

going by the fare rate a concession for all day is $3.50 or 2 hours is $1.75 for zone 1 so unless you are coming to Melbourne another time $25 should be heaps

Hi there! I've posted this in the Ports of Call Section but thought to post it here too:

------------------------

Hi there!

I've just been online trying to sort out how it all works for visitors.

I was able to purchase a ticket online for $3 (senior rate) using my visacard. This will be posted to me. I'm then assuming that I can top it up before visiting Melbourne but my question is this:

We are cruising into Melbourne 3 times during our 16-day cruise in April next year. How do I manage this? I see where you can purchase a 7-day pass or a 28-day pass neither or which I need.

Is there not a Vistors Pass you can purchase?

I cruised into Melbourne last December and found that the store at the end of the pier was TOTALLY swamped with passengers trying to purchase this pass.

The tram people allowed us to board without the pass as it was evident that there would be a VERY long delay if they waited for everyone one to purchase a ticket.

It wasn't clear what stop we should get off to find the FREE tram so we wandered around like lost souls looking for it. Those we asked on the street gave us conflicting advice so in the end after and hour or so wandering around in the CBD TOTALLY LOST I just caught the first tram I saw with 109 on it - though it was about the 4th tram as they were all totally crammed full with cruise passengers.

I was left feeling VERY disappointed and frustrated after my half-day of trying to find my way around Melbourne and it's public transport system. :eek: It would help if there was LOTS more information available at the port and even buses to take passengers into the CBD which is quite a distance from the port.

This time I'm hoping to be organised prior to arriving there.

Any idea how to purchase a myki pass to cover the 3 different times we will be arriving there over 2 weeks during April next year?:confused::confused:

Thanks! Gae

The Myki system works well for us as residents & as a pensioner the maximum daily cost is $3.50.Your idea to top-up your card online is the way to go but I suggest you only deposit $10 or so.There is a minimum but I am not sure if it is $10 or $20.

The Visitor Pack is excellent for our overseas visitors as it also contains maps & discount vouchers.

I encourage all visitors to explore Melbourne as it is a beautiful City - only a short tram ride from Port Melbourne - so don't just hang around the port.There are several excellent posts - 6andy6 posted lots of links back in June so I suggest visitors check it out.

Cheers.

Do we have to pre-buy the transport ticket? It is a little while since we have been into Melbourne on a cruise ship, and at that time there was a desk in the terminal building where we could buy day passes. Is this system still in operation? I am thinking from the earlier posts that it doesn't operate and that we will need to organise our tickets before we leave home. Could someone please advise.

Edited by Aus Traveller

Do we have to pre-buy the transport ticket? It is a little while since we have been into Melbourne on a cruise ship, and at that time there was a desk in the terminal building where we could buy day passes. Is this system still in operation? I am thinking from the earlier posts that it doesn't operate and that we will need to organise our tickets before we leave home. Could someone please advise.

The cruise terminal will still be selling the passes, the details are on the Myki website in the earlier post.

Have a great cruise.:)

The system still operates at the Port Melbourne terminal where you can buy the Visitor Pack. Day Passes are no longer available under the Myki system so I suggest it may be more convenient for you (as an Australian resident) to purchase a Myki card online & then deposit a minimum amount.Here is the link http://ptv.vic.gov.au/tickets/myki/