Pacific Jewel mini suites/balcony cabins

Recently in a mini suite on the Jewell. The balcony was very small with a door that opened out rather than the usual sliding door. The balcony we had was partly solid wall with 2 metal rails and a timber handrail. The suite was in poor condition (part of the ceiling held with tape, corrugations, holes in carpet etc) but it is due for refurbishment in August so should be ok after then. The worst problem was that we were under the smoking area and the chairs were scraping from early early a.m. until early early a.m. So chose a cabin on the other side or go one level below and settle for a balcony. Apart from the previous problems we did enjoy the cruise, the entertainment crew are gems, very versatile and personable young people. The dining system was different to what we had ever had but the dining room meals, breakfast, lunch and dinner were all good. But you do pay extra for room service, pizza etc. but we got sparkling wine - 2 glasses, fresh fruit bowl and a plate of hors d'oeuvres on formal night as well as priority boarding for being in a mini suite.

Here is a view of the balcony of a Pacific Jewel Mini Suite. The rails do not interfere with the view but the outward opening door does get in the way on a narrow balcony. We needed the extra floor space inside but if that was not an issue, I would go for a balcony cabin.

004.jpg

Hi Karen, I understand that the balcony cabins on deck 11 on the Jewel are as shown in the photo posted by cjm66. However, the balconies on deck 10 have a solid metal side part way then a gap then the usual timber handrail.

This is one of the main external differences between Jewel & Dawn as Pacific Dawn has the open type of railings on both decks. :)

Thanks everyone. I did end up finding a pic with a close enough shot to see that the ones on deck 10 were a solid wall and the ones on deck 11 were a rail. I'm thinking a balcony cabin rather than a mini suite as I guess we don't really need the extra space. Considering we have always cruised with 2 kids in the cabin (our first cruise we had all 3 kids in the cabin) but next time it will be just the 2 of us. Is smoking still on Port side on Jewel? It was when we were on there and on the Dawn but on the Pearl it's starboard side.

Thanks everyone. I did end up finding a pic with a close enough shot to see that the ones on deck 10 were a solid wall and the ones on deck 11 were a rail. I'm thinking a balcony cabin rather than a mini suite as I guess we don't really need the extra space. Considering we have always cruised with 2 kids in the cabin (our first cruise we had all 3 kids in the cabin) but next time it will be just the 2 of us. Is smoking still on Port side on Jewel? It was when we were on there and on the Dawn but on the Pearl it's starboard side.

on the Jewel in february smoking was on the starboard side on deck 12 all the way along....big area

Gee, that ship is depressing !!

100% correct. Not just the balcony, the cabin inside is just as bad with old, worn, damaged furniture. Luckily we were on board for 3 nights only, never again. It is old, battered, rusty and worst of all the crew was only interested in selling watered down drinks. Queuing 25 minutes for the privilege to get, and pay,for a cup of coffee is not acceptable. :eek:

Hopefully the refurb in August will improve it somewhat.

Hope so. I loved it when I went on it but that was almost 3 years ago. I'm doing a 3 nighter on her in May but thinking of doing the 14 nighter before it. I want to do the Fijian cruise again but if we go on the Pearl, we have to wait until November.

Archived