Sabatini's & the Crown Grill - must order items

Sale Away

The French Onion soup at Crown is pretty good...but it is just a steak house, their cuts are similar to any other nice steak house you'd visit on land...I wouldn't call it mediocre like the above poster, but I'd say its a quality steak, just nothing unique making it a must have.

The twice baked artichoke souffle "Sformato di carciofi gratinati al Castelrosso" was out of this world delicious. I think it's the best dish I've EVER had on a Princess ship.

Jackie

The twice baked artichoke souffle "Sformato di carciofi gratinati al Castelrosso" was out of this world delicious. I think it's the best dish I've EVER had on a Princess ship.

Jackie

I have to agree. We didn't even want to order it on the Golden in May, but our server insisted on bringing one in addition to what we ordered. It was great!

I love, love the Crown Grill, I usually get the fillet and it melds in your mouth. You can select many different side dishes,the mushrooms are great and DH loves the creamed spinach. Don't forget the starters from soup to salad and when you think you can't at another bite they roll out the desserts.....and all that for 25.00 p.p. It is great bargain and tastes wonderful. :D

Now go to one of our local landbased Steakhouses and see how much all these selections would cost you :eek: Sebatinis is o.k. but for my dime I preferr the Crown Grill,never had a bad meal there.By the way if you are not a big beef eater they also serve fish and lamb. Enjoy, Gloria:)

We always order the veal chops in Sabatini's, haven't tried the Crown Grill, may next trip. We did try fish in Sabatini's ... one item baked in salt, very dry... and I also tried the shrimp, again dry... so we stick to the veal which is always good.

Jackie

Is this an entre or a side dish?

I appreciate your posting this, because I would probably never think to order an artichoke souffle. However, now I just might!:)

I loved the veal chop in Sabatini's on the Grand in April. The rest of my party had lobster, and they loved it, but my veal chop was outstanding. I plan to go to Sabatini's on our next cruise just for the veal chop.

Although the menus are the same on all ships, like any other restaurant, it all comes down to the chef.

Everything in the crown was cooked to perfection on our cruise in Jan on the Ruby. I loved the onion soup...even though I do not like blue cheese. The multiple shrimp dishes were great. The filet and lobster melted in your mouth, and we could not get enough of the mash...which was strangely addictive.

Having been on the Star a few weeks ago, nothing was as good. I didn't like the soup, the shrimp was lacking in flavour, the meat was over-cooked, and the mash was ordinary. It didn't help that there was also a language barrier with the waiter.

For a $25 charge, which is cheaper than most pay restaurants at sea, it is worth a visit.

We were not impressed with the Crown Grill last Nov on the Ruby. That said, we did the Ultimate Balcony Dinning and it was outstanding! The best meal and service of the cruise. That is a must do!

Neither have outstanding dishes. Both are actually mediocre but better than dining room food.

Why do you respond to specific questions with unwanted answers? OP was asking about specialty restaurants, not the UBD.

As for Casey's response, don't listen to it. Maybe Casey expects five star Michelin type food, but I have found, for the most part, food on Princess to be very good. I really liked both specialty dinner, and if you have a chance to try the Ultimate Balcony Dinner, it is a wonderful experience. Also, don't forget the international cafe (no charge). It has great selections of desserts, sandwiches and pastries.

Casey, you ought to be sailing on Seabourn or Crystal... This is a new Princess cruiser. Lets focus on the many positives of Princess instead of spewing your negativity. Thank you.

I recommend the rack of lamb in the Crown Grill.

Have to totally happily agree! I'm picky about my rack of lamb and have always been pleased with mine in Crown Grill! YUM! :)

Over the years, DH has tried various cuts of beef there ... but likes the filet best.

We enjoy Crown Grill for the atmosphere as much as the food! :D

LuLu

~~~~

The mere mention of the Crown Grill makes my mouth water. We start with the warm bread and fresh salad, followed by the Black & Blue French Onion Soup, then onto my filet with mushrooms & lobster tail(s), accompanied by a twice baked or loaded baked potato. We end our evening with coffee and whatever wonderful chocolate creation is on that night's menu. The best $25we spend onboard.

We try to go at least twice per cruise because to go more often would take the specialness away. Yes, for those of us that remember way back, this was the type of meal and service we used to receive in the Main Dining Room. Well everything changes and we all happy with lower prices, so something has to give!

Judy

Yes, for those of us that remember way back, this was the type of meal and service we used to receive in the Main Dining Room. Well everything changes and we all happy with lower prices, so something has to give!

Judy

Agree! Back then we were severed what now cost extra ... and also agree we can now get the balcony cabins, etc. at a much lower cost than back then!

Some changes good ... some bad. :rolleyes: Guess it all come out in the wash.

Happy we can pay to go to the Specialty Restaurants to "Step Back in Time" ;)

LuLu

~~~~

Is this an entre or a side dish?

I appreciate your posting this, because I would probably never think to order an artichoke souffle. However, now I just might!:)

The artichoke souffle is an appetizer. It looks really small when served but is very VERY rich. I couldn't finish it even though with each bite I was amazed by the flavors.

I tried to post an image here but that didn't work, so here is a link to it: Sformato di carciofi gratinati al Castelrosso - Sabatini's - Sapphire Princess

Jackie

Edited by jsiegel
image didn't appear

Why do you respond to specific questions with unwanted answers? OP was asking about specialty restaurants, not the UBD. Thank you.

I gave the OP a specific answer to the question based on our latest experience on a Princess ship. Not wanting them to think it was a bad sailing I added a very positive experience. I guess after 20 years of cruising Princess I should have said based on how poor the Crown Grill was on Ruby we are booking with Celebrity in the future.