Book and Go Vacation Packages Promotion

Aruba76

We booked the Barcelona round trip 12 night cruise sailing on October 20, 2013 back in April with our travel agent. Our reservation includes the 123 Go Promotion and we opted for prepaid gratuities (we are in Aqua and select dining so we have to prepay them anyway) and $300 OBC. When I saw the new Book and Go promotion, I asked our travel agent to compare prices. She told us that we still had the better deal. Out of curiosity we called a Celebrity planner and received a price that is $1000 less than the cost our travel agent gave us. It seems like a no-brainer, but I am reluctant to cancel our existing reservation because the Celebrity price seems too good to be true. Has anyone else booked this promotion? We have also noticed that the price for our current reservation has gone down by $350pp due to a senior rate now being applied. So the net savings is actually $300, although the new promotion includes the classic beverage package. Very confusing. This is only our 3rd cruise, so I am looking for some advice from some more experienced cruisers. Thank you!

Cruise pricing has become more confusing than ever with all the different promos that are out there.

Without knowing how good your TA is I'd have to say if the numbers you provide are correct, switching to the new promo would be worth it.

That being said before you cancel your existing booking you need to make sure you are doing a full comparison and that the flights (I assume that is part of the savings) work for you.

It might be worth making a booking with Celebrity (you normally have 24-48 hrs to pay the deposit) and then ask your TA if they can match it.

Good luck.

Have you already booked your air? It sounds like a good chunk of the "savings" may be a credit for using Choice Air and Delta. If you already have airfare (or don't want to use Choice Air and Delta) you may not get the savings.

I am surprised that you were able to get a senior rate and kept the amenities (classic beverage, gratuities and OBC). I thought you had to be at a 5star or groupX rate.

This "book and go" rate runs until July 31. Perhaps you can either wait until Monday and talk to your TA or book the cruise over the phone if they will give you a courtesy hold without deposit.

Recognize that you may lose your cabin assignment. Figuring out the best promotion is hard!

With Promotions it is always hard to know if another deal is going to come along that will be or possibly be better. If you were happy with the deal you got stick with it and forget the buyers remorse. If you think it is better overall elsewhere then cancel and re-book it.:D

This is another of those promos that are 'new bookings only.'

You need to be careful as this means you would not be able to cancel and then rebook and get the new offers.

Maybe I'm wrong but that's exactly what you have to do to qualify for a rate that says New Bookings Only. You cannot upgrade your current booking to the promo/rate. You have to actually make a brand new booking and cancel the current one. I know you can have two bookings open for the same dates, just not sure you can do that on the same ship however.

I've done it in the past, but then, there seems to be no consistency into how things are handled.

Thank you for all the input. We will speak with our TA tomorrow and decide how to proceed. It all really comes down to $$. It appears there are many cabins in the same vicinity as the one we have booked, so if we have to cancel and re-book, I think we'll be ok.

Maybe I'm wrong but that's exactly what you have to do to qualify for a rate that says New Bookings Only. You cannot upgrade your current booking to the promo/rate. You have to actually make a brand new booking and cancel the current one. I know you can have two bookings open for the same dates, just not sure you can do that on the same ship however.

I've done it in the past, but then, there seems to be no consistency into how things are handled.

Having a great TA can sometimes avoid this issue but it would really depend on their contacts and work to get you the promo without rebooking.:D

They explicitly exclude cancelling and re-booking when referring to New bookings only in some wording.

They explicitly exclude cancelling and re-booking when referring to New bookings only in some wording.

I do not know why they would care if someone cancelled and then re-booked, in some cases they just allow a transfer wiht a room upgrade.:D

I do not know why they would care if someone cancelled and then re-booked,

Precisely because it's not a new booking then. They definitely don't care about the booking number itself, which is what you are referring to, which is all that changes when someone cancels and re-books.

They are trying to increase revenue, rather than have the overall revenue fall as existing passengers take the better deal.

So to summarise buy a cruise on early bird sales, cancel it before final payment. Wait until a promo and purchase another trip and they will stop you from buying it at the new rate. I wouldn't think so.

Ok, then they can give you the package for the existing booking price, I don't think so either.

Does not make sense.:D

So to summarise buy a cruise on early bird sales, cancel it before final payment. Wait until a promo and purchase another trip and they will stop you from buying it at the new rate. I wouldn't think so.

Ok, then they can give you the package for the existing booking price, I don't think so either.

Does not make sense.:D

Don't know why. Them's the rules.

We booked the Barcelona round trip 12 night cruise sailing on October 20, 2013 back in April with our travel agent. Our reservation includes the 123 Go Promotion and we opted for prepaid gratuities (we are in Aqua and select dining so we have to prepay them anyway) and $300 OBC. When I saw the new Book and Go promotion, I asked our travel agent to compare prices. She told us that we still had the better deal. Out of curiosity we called a Celebrity planner and received a price that is $1000 less than the cost our travel agent gave us. It seems like a no-brainer, but I am reluctant to cancel our existing reservation because the Celebrity price seems too good to be true. Has anyone else booked this promotion? We have also noticed that the price for our current reservation has gone down by $350pp due to a senior rate now being applied. So the net savings is actually $300, although the new promotion includes the classic beverage package. Very confusing. This is only our 3rd cruise, so I am looking for some advice from some more experienced cruisers. Thank you!

If you really want to get the best price cancell the whole booking and rebook inside 60 days.

It's obvious this cruise is dropping like a rock. All due to no interest. :cool:

That is fine if you live close, but otherewise all the savings are lost on higher airfares, etc.:D

Not so when you can way over $1000 on a cruise. The OP probably has their airline book anyway, and there is a particular airline in the US that doesn't charge you to cancel. :cool:

Not so when you can way over $1000 on a cruise. The OP probably has their airline book anyway, and there is a particular airline in the US that doesn't charge you to cancel. :cool:

Right, well they should grab those savings then.:D

• 3 weeks later...

Archived